Tune,
I have had 4 musk ox handled Triatheletes shrink. One of them 3...count them...3 times! Musk Ox has to cure. Some of the first batches of the stuff was dried, stabilized, etc. cut properly and approved by the shop and installed. Very few problems occured...but some did occur. It's the nature of a natural material.
Gene Beal has re-handled all of mine, or reduced the blade stock slightly on others to correct the problem. I strongly recommend folks be patient with musk ox. There are quantities coming into the lower 48 that have recently been killed. Some has been sent still bloody! That musk ox needs a "long" time to cure. I am figuring a year or more to dry it out. My buddy Duke MaCaa tried a slow oven, very cool temperature...to no avail. Time cures...plain and simple. I have to disagree with "Harry" on this one. All of mine are rough cut but finished on the knife and polished out. I don't know where Jesse got his stuff. It's not one of mine. I think it just needed more time.
For what it's worth: I have not heard of complaints of "cracking" with regards to musk ox, but there have certainly been shrinkage. Caveat Emptor...You're dealing with "exotics"!!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com