Thanks Scott. I didn't think Jim was a dealer at the time, but he often had some really nice Randalls, a lot of nice older ones too.

And thanks Larry. I do have a detailed Excel spreadsheet. That's where my "notes" are.

And I sort of do all you have suggested. Keep the sheaths separate, etc. New Randall boxes are in tubs.

But I had all the receipts, most of the butcher paper, and other paperwork, including old catalogs, newer catalogs, RKS newsletters, other company catalogs in two accordion folders and cannot find one of them after moving.

Some of the butcher paper was in a tub. It was a little messy. But I did have a pretty good system.

I began the spreadsheet almost right away and did an inventory in 2005. Another inventory in 2007. And one just recently. It's pretty detailed, but not perfect.

But in the end, I only got my knives from Randall direct and 3 or 4 other sources. I never bought a knife from Ebay, for example. So that makes it easier to narrow stuff down.

Thanks guys. In the end, I'm not too worried about the lost receipts - after all, we all have heard the mantra: "Buy the knife, not the story." (Although receipts are so so very nice).

Gary