Capt. Chris,

A couple of comments and a few questions:

1. Your point regarding the balance of the knife (unbalanced with butt cap) is well taken. I suggested the silver butt cap as a complimentary 'visual' option if the knife was to be equipped with a silver hilt and spacers (which to my mind would make it a display piece rather than a user).
-Has anyone ever used an RMK with silver hilt and/or other silver fittings?
-I've not owned or held an RMK with silver fittings. Since silver has a higher specific gravity than either brass or nickel silver, would using silver for the hilt/spacers alone (no butt cap) appreciably increase the weight of the knife, noticeably alter the balance, or otherwise render it less 'user-friendly'?

2. Silver fittings on an RMK is expensive! As James noted, probably not the most cost effective choice. A couple of questions about the silver:
-Does the silver have to be provided to the shop in a certain form or shape? Is there a minimum fineness required?
-In addition to purchasing/supplying the silver, is there an additional shop charge for working/shaping the silver (similar to the charge for customer supplied handle material)?
-Is silver more difficult to work/shape than brass or N/S?

Bob
RKCC #622