Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Well they are in fact pretty rare to a certain degree, some more so than others based on characteristics. Often what you see are the same ones that are being "recycled" if you will. Most of us that collect early pieces have owned one or more that currently may reside in another collector's stable. That guy decides to let one go, and it appears a "new" example has surfaced.

Occasionally a "new" one does show up, no doubt, but it really isn't that often.

I don't know what the ratio is, thong link to thong hole, but I would say more knives were made in 1944-45. Again, it depends on when the actual switch took place, AND, the fact that standardization helped improve production.

I have to reread Gaddis, but I think he goes over some order numbers during WWII.

That does make sense and i have seen it . The same knife being resold .

I have never seen for sale on eBay .....

1.The very early leather finger grip with no thong or drilled through hole at butt cap.
2. Early fighter with metal spacers.
3. Early Stag double pinned fighter

I have only really been following the Early Randall eBay listings for about 3 years .

I know a few ( sure you guys know them too ) collectors that do not post on this forum and have collections with several WWII #1 fighters .

Of the 6,7 and 8 inch WWII #1 Fighters in Brass , Steel thong link and drilled through butt cap , the 1 do not recall seeing for sale is 6" Brass thong link . The 8" drilled through butt cap i saw 1 or 2 . The others i have seen several .

Edited by william768 (08/24/18 04:52 PM)