James Behring Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171749 - 06/10/18 07:18 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: Eric]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Terrible numbers!
People who risked it all for there country, a lot of them struggling with post traumatic stress disorder and a lot of them don't get the help they deserve. I am glad Trump is doing something to help them with the waiting lists.

Here in the Netherlands its also not good for veterans. We are unfortunately a liberal country, and some of the people are stupid enough to believe that we don't need an army. So veterans and soldiers often don't get the respect they deserve...

#171752 - 06/10/18 08:22 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: Sphinx3000]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
When I started the post, I did not intend to get into a big debate about it. I just liked his show.

But since it got started, I'll share a story.

About 25 years ago, a friend of mine was returning home from visiting family one Sunday night. A drunk driver crossed over into his lane and hit him head on killing his wife and two little boys.

He spent a month in ICU and nearly died several times. He had a terrible spine injury and compound fractures in both femurs in addition to several other injuries.

He had intense pain that required high doses of medication for at least a year resulting in an addiction.

He couldn't work and lost everything he had. He also blamed himself for the wreck saying that if he had been paying better attention, he could have swerved and missed the drunk driver.

I remember him telling me that without medication, his lower body felt like it was on fire and he would moan in pain. When he took his medication, he would cry over his wife and boys and could never get it through his mind that it was not his fault.

Anyhow, he couldn't work and he moved away. He never could get over his addiction to pain medication or the self imposed guilt. He shot himself a couple years later.

I would have never thought he would do that but I have pined over not being a better friend and maybe helping somehow. I guess that his physical pain and the mental anguish were just too much for a person to bear.

I'd like to say that I wouldn't have done it but I have never had to endure something like that.

#171754 - 06/10/18 08:58 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: coachblalock]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
That's a Man up story share! Clarifies why you have the title "Coach"!

The journey can be complicated! At times.
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#171759 - 06/10/18 09:55 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: CrazyCajun]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I've not told many, but my dad shot himself at age 75. His health was bad and his mind was going, but still a shock then and still is. Especially since he was a diehard liberal and hated guns. The only one he had, a Smith .38, was what he used. My mother, at 97, still brings it up and that deed haunts our whole family. God bless.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171760 - 06/10/18 09:58 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: Eric]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Originally Posted By: Eric
In 2013, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010, which showed that roughly 22 veterans were dying by suicide per day, or one every 65 minutes. Some sources suggest that this rate may be undercounting suicides.

This is a fact.

More veterans of the Viet Nam conflict (I hate that term) have committed suicide than were killed in the conflict.

If you know any veteran that shows signs of needing help please look at this:

http://ptsdusa.org/
RKS #4868

#171762 - 06/10/18 10:08 PM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Originally Posted By: pappy19
I've not told many, but my dad shot himself at age 75. His health was bad and his mind was going, but still a shock then and still is. Especially since he was a diehard liberal and hated guns. The only one he had, a Smith .38, was what he used. My mother, at 97, still brings it up and that deed haunts our whole family. God bless.

Pap

That is a sad story Pap. God knows you've had enough hurt in your lifetime. Can't find the right words but sorry isn't enough.

#171772 - 06/11/18 06:13 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: W Polidori]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

@ coach I bet you were a good friend to him!
But losing your wife and kids that way, and having physically and emotional pain every day, and on top of that quilt is to much for a lot of people.

There is a Dutch expression: Some people get carried through life and others are kicked.

#171773 - 06/11/18 06:21 AM Re: Anthony Bourdain [Re: Sphinx3000]
Sphinx3000 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

@ pappy I have read all your posts about your wife, I find it touching how you care for here. I have a sweet wife and can't imagine happening that to here. You are a strong man! I wish you and your wife all the best.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod