Randall Knife Collectors Club Clinton Knives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169677 - 03/18/18 07:36 AM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: W Polidori]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Will do; could be something good. Won't go down without you.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#169729 - 03/20/18 06:00 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: GCTom41]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Tom,

What a great idea!

Being a lawn-guylander (hey, who says we tawk funny?) myself, I'd definitely be 'in' for a NY area meeting of the RKCC, especially since Blade Show is just a dream for me this year. If you need any help with setting up, etc., let me know and I'll be glad to pitch in.

Bob
RKCC #622

#169730 - 03/20/18 06:24 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: rfcarlin]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Bob,

You never used to till you moved there from up here. You and I traded places.

#169737 - 03/21/18 06:29 AM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: rfcarlin]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Bob!

Giving it a little more time to see interest and go from there.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#169746 - 03/21/18 04:53 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: GCTom41]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,

I grew up in New Hyde Park (from age 2 through 24), and, after getting married, lived in North Babylon and Huntington. We moved to the Buffalo area in late 1986 and lived there for 14 years. The Carlin clan (the 2 of us became 4 during our Buffalo years) moved back to Long Island (Kings Park) in 2000 and have been here ever since. If it had been up to me (which, being married, it really wasn't), I'd've stayed in the Buffalo area. I loved the more relaxed pace of life, fewer crowds and friendlier vibe. I recall those years very fondly. The Mrs. wanted to return to Long Island (she was also born here and her folks, since passed, were here, and, since both were not in the best of health, she wanted to be closer to them) and so we returned and have been here on LI ever since. I envy you being up-state, as much of it is beautiful country and much more relaxed than 'downstate'. I spent a long weekend camping at Letchworth State Park last summer, and it made me miss the upstate lifestyle even more.

Tom, I'm more than happy to help out if this looks like it will actually happen. When I lived in Buffalo, I helped some friends put together comic book, toy and collectible shows (I'm an insurance attorney).

Bob
RKCC #622

#169747 - 03/21/18 05:27 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: rfcarlin]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
I've heard Letchworth described as the Grand Canyon of the east. Still haven't been there. Went down to Long Island 3 weeks ago. Traffic is worse than ever. Don't miss it at all.

#169751 - 03/21/18 06:17 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: W Polidori]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I just got fired back up on this computer and read through this thread. Here's where I stand on this. There is a Facebook Page set up as The Randall Knife Collectors Club. It has absoluteley "NO" affiliation with the RKCC nor the RKCA..."BUT"...I still have to field questions and phone calls, emails and texts because of it.
I just got off the phone with Art Green. Art runs the Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association, a like-minded club to ours that incorporates "all" types of knives. There is a newsletter, club-sponsored knife shows, etc. They also have a website: www.NCCA.INFO.
Art is an active "charter member" of our club. He has been a contributing editor for me and his knife-knowledge is second-to-none!
I would suggest to club members in Art's backyard that they entertain the idea of joining this club and participating in it! I believe your small circle of like-minded knife freaks would benefit from it and you may just convert a couple over to our club as well.
There is also an "Empire Knife Club" to look into although I am not sure how or where it is run or to what extent. If you Northeasters need anymore contact info please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Best wishes, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#169765 - 03/22/18 08:17 AM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: rfcarlin]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Bob,

We are not far from each other 1/2 hour +/-

I will look into the contacts from Capt. Chris and then we can start to organize.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#169766 - 03/22/18 08:18 AM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Cap,

Will reach out to them.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#169872 - 03/26/18 08:46 PM Re: RKCC Northeast [Re: GCTom41]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,

Letchworth was nothing less than spectacular. Certainly the Grand Canyon of New York. I had rafted the river some years ago, but had not seen the falls (3). If you have the opportunity to visit, I strongly recommend that you do so. It's probably do-able over a weekend from where you are. If I could figure out how to resize my photos, I would post some.

The main trails, along the gorge, are fairly crowded, at least in the summer (probably in fall as well when the leaves are turning), but there are also plenty of forest trails where we saw no other hikers.

If you go in summer, make sure to bring plenty of DEET, or your mosquito repellent of choice, as they are fierce, especially in the deep forest.

Bob
RKCC #622

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >