Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118777 - 05/18/14 02:31 AM Re: Knife Storage ** [Re: CrazyCajun]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
O. K. Time for show and tell without the show ( no pics available). I think that this design is super nice. I love being creative, figuring out what one needs and building it. Saving some bucks and recycling really doesn't bother me either. I have 2 gun and 1 knife safe and the interior of the knife safe is very similar with a few variations......like it's all on casters and I can roll the interior shelving out easily (love casters!). The main difference is that all 3 are all non-working, lockable, motors removed upright freezers. They sit between two working, no lock, full chest freezers. Nobody, friends, neighbors or anyone has ever suspected as I've shared venison, berries or whatever from the chest freezers the true secret of my uprights. Now......secrets out.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#118778 - 05/18/14 04:03 AM Re: Knife Storage [Re: tunefink]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Mold....
RKS#2166

#118780 - 05/18/14 04:15 AM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Ronnie]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
I use to put a glass of water in my knife storage....incredible how fast water evaporates....
About making holes in your safe....just few in the lower part and just few on the top...this it will be enough toallow air circulate inside the safe....
Now...just fill it up....!
See you at Blade...
See you soon
Guido

#118782 - 05/18/14 07:08 AM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Beautiful safe!
I have a question smile
When stored for long sheath, the skin dries up and becomes rigid.
Have some means to restore the skin to a new state?
And for better sheath stored should lubricate them with something?

#118783 - 05/18/14 07:51 AM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Ronnie]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Mold....

Ronnie,
Seven years, considerable # of weapons & knives beg to differ. Momma didn't raise no dummy & I don't take chances with my Grandpa's nor my Dad's weapons entrusted to me. Also lost my need to convince others of anything a long time ago.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#118786 - 05/18/14 01:35 PM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Duke]
Buckspen Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for the comments, guys. My basement is pretty dry and I've never had any problems with mold on any of my leather goods or rust on guns stored there. I have a relative humidity gauge and it indicates around 50% year round. In southern Ohio, we get some severe humidity in the summer, but our air conditioning system is pretty efficient. I've have leather in the safes for years and never experienced any bad effects.
I did have a couple of Randalls with ivory handles. One was a 27 which had a very fine hairline crack in the handle when I bought it. We had some very cold and dry weather last winter and the handle on that knife cracked quite badly. The other knife was a model 26 with no butt cap and it was not affected. However, I was so upset with the cracked #27 that I sold both knives and will probably never own another ivory handled knife.
I've had several handguns with ivory grips and several sets of unfitted grips around for years and never experienced any problem with them.
I am a little concerned about placing the sheaths and knives on the bare shelves. I like the light colored wood because it brightens up the inside of the safe and don't want to cover it with any dark material.
What do you think about applying a good coat of paste wax to the shelves?

- - Buckspen

#118788 - 05/18/14 03:22 PM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Buckspen]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Here is a shot of one of my shelves…… lined with gray "pleather". I have had no issues with any interaction with the sheathes or knives. Sorry for the iPhone pic….sort of blurry.

#118789 - 05/18/14 03:45 PM Re: Knife Storage [Re: tunefink]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Buckspen,
I, like you, have a very dry " mans' basement"; helped(physically) my contractor build my house in 1989 and not huge, expansive house but all the "extras" to not have problems, leaks, make use of the environment....we did,
and have never had any moisture problems. I still used the electric cord hole where the motor would have been to add dehu. rods, lighting, removed gaskets, etc. etc. NEVER ANY PROBLEM on any sheaths( all stored there), leather rifle slings(WWI&II) and laterAND my only ivory grips are beautiful (to me) on my Colt. I do like and use Ren. wax on whatever I want BUT not everything as I like to fondle my knives whenever possible.
Best to you.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#118790 - 05/18/14 03:59 PM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Duke]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Duke
Originally Posted By: Ronnie
Mold....

Ronnie,
Seven years, considerable # of weapons & knives beg to differ. Momma didn't raise no dummy & I don't take chances with my Grandpa's nor my Dad's weapons entrusted to me. Also lost my need to convince others of anything a long time ago.

Congratulations Duke. I'll rest easy tonight knowing your knives and sheaths have survived 7 years with no ill effects.
I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. I simply suggested not storing leather in an enclosed container. This is a forum where ideas and thoughts come together for all of us to learn.You have the tools in your hand to research the effects of long term storage of leather in enclosed containers. Momma didn't raise "no" dummy....apparently she didn't raise a rocket scientist either.
RKS#2166

#118791 - 05/18/14 04:53 PM Re: Knife Storage [Re: Ronnie]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ronnie,
Think I'll end this one on my own for me....don't need a moderator. Have a good Sunday evening.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod