The term "collectible" never really bothered me with anything...people collect any and everything these days. Guys collect beer cans, bottle tops, barbed wire - you name it.

Collectible just means someone finds it desirable and wants to own it. It does not imply high value, or even that something is worth more than when it sold as new.

As to the question - does use of a new knife impact value - immediately, yes...simply put there are too many "as new" knives to compare against offered for sale to expect a buyer to not pay less. Give me the choice of a mint example and a well cared for used example at the same price..I'm going for mint...I can make a mint condition model look used but cared for, but not the opposite.

Old knives - different story in general - finding a 30-40 year old model in "mint" is tough - finding cared for used is less challenging in general. Randall's have never been "cheap" - so just like any high end item, users tend to treat them with respect overall - of course there are the users who didn't - but again, a well built product withstands the punishment better.

Agree with sentiments expressed above - buy what you love, hold it forever and you'll never lose a nickel or have a moment of regret. Resale is for flippers - and prices are for buyer/sellers - if you buy only keepers neither of these are factors.