Jerry,
Called you this am and left a message...

Members,
The reaction to Tunefink's request was "EXACTLY" what I knew it would be...100%! When we had our founding meeting at The Blade Show, 5 years ago, I asked this same question, even had a sign-in sheet for those who would prefer PDF (Internet) copies of our newsletter. Keep in mind, we were not a fully formed knife club at this point. We have had "6" annual meetings "BUT" (I know: There's that word again) the very first meeting was not happening 1 year into this club. It was the "initial" meeting.
Over the past 5 years, I have continually reported our increase in club members, to the point of now approaching 900! That sounds good, right? "BUT" (oops: another one) what I have not reported is the exact amount of RKCC members "in good standing"! That number is less than "HALF"!! We only have actual dues being paid by about 375-400 members!
This is nothing new. Rhett used to have members numbers into 3,000- 4,000 range. He told me, on countless occasions, that actual membership was (in his words) "a fraction of that"! Although he would not say or give an exact number, the point is the actual financial supporters of this, that or "any" club is "always" less than the reported membership rolls!
The booth that I purchase, each and every year, at Blade costs a little over $2,000.00. Postage for the "KNIFE KNEWS" runs approx. $2100.00 per year for U.S. members and an additional $375-$400 for international memberships. The printing costs for KNIFE KNEWS are in excess of $3750.00 per year, averaging 2 newletters per year. This year there will be "3".
Door prizes and other club-related giveaways are over $1,000.00 per year, closer to $1500.00 (usually)...Then: There's my time. Don't even ask or try to guess. Safe to say: A lot of it goes into running this club.
I am only bringing this up because of mention here to reduce club dues, despite the costs. We are getting ready to raffle off prizes, related to The Suzanne Lambert benefit to support the RKCA in it's endeavors. That raffle alone, is costing well over $1200.00 to start. I am gladly paying these costs..."BUT"...everyone needs to have a little reality check here.
This club was founded because several of you approached me and said that if I "didn't do it, it wasn't going to get done"! OK: Fair enough. I founded this club and have continued to keep it going for the past 5 years. I have no intention of throwing in the towel and I do not care if it is a financial hardship and requires too much time! I feel exactly the opposite of that. If I strictly wanted this club to be a profit-making venture I would not have offered several exclusive knife offerings to you, the members..."at catalog prices"!
I don't want any accolades or back-patting. I just want you, the membership, to realize that:
* All this comes with the territory.
* All of this is necessary.
* This club is far from perfect!
* I know the of the problems being voiced by you.
* I am doing the best I can to remedy them.
It's "all about RMKs" for me. It's all about the fellowship for me. It's all about historical and current news and information for me.
It's "not" about the love of the dollar. It's not about making each and every member happy. It's not about everything running perfectly. Look at what has been accomplished. Keep your eye on the big picture. Several have posted up ideas on this forum and that's a good thing...."BUT"...(Wow: The hits keep coming, don't they) all of you need to keep in mind that, despite how much we like to think this forum is all-important, over 50% of our membership don't even "lurk" here! Imagine how this "Paper-verses internet" topic would come down with them!
5 years ago, 6 RKCC meetings ago, the "vote" went with about the same percentages either way as this survey has gone. The results? "Both" will be continued into the future. I am going to "trim the sails" and begin weeding out dead-beat members who have not paid their dues. I am going to do my damndest to get 3 KNIFE KNEWS issues out, per year. I am going to offer a "lifetime membership" soon. Hopefully we will continue to learn and love about Randall Made Knives, both past & present and continue to:
Stay sharp, Captain Chris Stanaback
Founder: RKCC-RKCS
PS: A fund raiser starting next week!!

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/24/17 11:26 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com