Nifeboy.com Miles Swelze
Page 38 of 65 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151617 - 10/17/16 10:37 PM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? ***** [Re: W Polidori]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
LOL now that's funny!!! The thought of owing her and not paying!!!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#151621 - 10/17/16 11:41 PM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: Chief]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
A. Yes.

I agree with Scott's suggestion as to the stamping/etching (KTFBM01).

This is an interesting discussion so far. Having cast my "yes" vote, in an effort to understand the 'flip side of the coin' I'd like to pose a general question to those "no" voters who have built a knife here previously...

I've only been involved in the last two RMK builds (including the current one). There was no special etching or marking on those knives or sheaths (at least so far as the current build continues). Have ANY of the RMK builds here on KTF had a special blade etching (or other marking) commemorating its origin here? If not, why not? Was a conscious decision made not to do so, or was it a matter of the builders/designers/ voters not wanting to use 1/5 options on a blade etch, or was there some other reason? If the reason is lack of available options, do you think that a blade etch would have been adopted if an option to do so had been available at the end of the RMK build?

There doesn't seem to be a general aversion to blade etchings on RMKs given the etching of various dealer specials, limited editions and other numbered edition knives.

If the concern is that doing so will make this build something different from the prior builds, well...it is. That's not to say it's better, or cooler, or more special, or more desirable, than other builds...just different.

The reality is that many of the 'rules' that apply to an RMK build (available blade designs, handle materials, handle configurations, spacers, guard/cap materials, total number of options, sheath choices, etc.) pretty much do NOT apply here. With this build, it seems that the only restrictions are our imaginations and what Grant and James are willing to build (or put up with from us).

I am not always a fan of 'numbered' editions, but this IS the first BMK KTF build and I believe that it should be memorialized in some fashion.

Sorry for the rambling, but it's fairly late after an long day. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

Bob
RKCC #622

#151625 - 10/17/16 11:59 PM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: rfcarlin]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
A thought. ..
Instead of a stamp would a COA identify the knife for documentation as a 1st knife build? Pics on a COA would work.

#151634 - 10/18/16 09:05 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: rfcarlin]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
With regard to the Randalls built on the Randall Main Forum...I have said it before and will say it now: "I don't care what we build". In the past, there has never been a discussion about a special blade etching. Let me give you a splendid example of why I don't care for it on this (Behring) particular build.
Many here remember the old RKS (Randall Knife Society). The RKS offered 5 "club" knives with all of them being serial numbered and etched at the Randall shop. Sounds nice...right? Well: The first couple (Later the Combat Companion & Denmark Special) simply had a serial number. The club knives thereafter had a serial number, with the #'s being drawn and randomly sent out...(+)...the club members RKS number! (Huh?) It was the worst decision (In my...and only my opinion) Rhett ever made. I think it has created more confusion, especially in the secondary market, than no number at all. Etching something (or stamping, in the case of this Behring build) "KTF-BMK". etc. will be confusing a few years down the road as well.
Again: Just my opinion and, thank God, I am only one voice on this vote. I tell everyone on the Randall forum builds to vote..."AND"...argue their case. That's what I am doing...I think. I would be proud to own this Mission knife,,,"BUT",,,(Ahh: There, I got that word in),,,I would prefer no confusing (or not) extra blade stamps.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Below is an example of an RKS "3rd" edition club knife (Later to become the Trailblazer) with it's "serial number"??
CCS

Attachments
------RKS III-07,2011 003.jpg

------RKS III-07,2011 004.jpg

------RKS III-07,2011 006.jpg

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (10/18/16 09:08 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#151636 - 10/18/16 09:31 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
For whatever it's worth, my preference for some type of stamping or other identification is to make the build knife "special" and identifiable as a build knife. That's a little less important I think with a BMK as opposed to an RMK since all BMK's are different so maybe a COA is fine but I still like the idea of "something" to indicate that it's a build knife. Even if it's just a special emblem of some type. And if it creates confusion years down the road well that'll give our kids something to debate on the forum the way we debate the many Randall mysteries that are out there. But, like I said earlier, it's not a huge big deal to me so whatever folks want is great.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#151639 - 10/18/16 10:34 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: JE6245]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
How about a graphic symbol?
I don't think a number adds or takes away any particular value.

Attachments
------DevilPitchfork.jpg

Molon Labe

#151643 - 10/18/16 10:49 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: W Polidori]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Jim no offence taken. It's all good.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#151644 - 10/18/16 11:04 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I was thinking more of a special emblem or stamp rather than a number. This stamp would indicate it was the first of that build as I suspect some would want a copy of whatever we come up with as the final build.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#151646 - 10/18/16 11:57 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Capt., I certainly understand your feelings on the question, and you persuasively argue your position with passion, eloquence and courtesy.

I agree that the blade numbers etched on the RKS knives are indeed wickedly confusing, especially to a new RMK collector, and that the dual numbering system was probably not the best way to go, especially to avoid confusion down the road.

I've read the RKS newsletters on the club knives, so I understand what the numbers represent. For club knives with two low numbers, however, I can never seem to recall which number is for the knife and which is for the original buyer's RKS membership. And then, to add to the confusion, there are apparently some later RKS knives with only one number (as per the newsletters, it seems that the original buyer had the option to not include his RKS membership number on the blade). Good luck figuring that one out without doing a bunch of research (or asking the experts here).

I would distinguish the RKS etchings from the currently proposed BMK stamp, though, as we are only discussing one unique knife rather than a limited edition or numbered series of knives. As they say in Highlander...There can be only one!

Having said that, and while conceding the strength of Capt.'s position, I'd still prefer to see a blade stamp commemorating this as the first BMK forum build.

Some of the other suggestions...a COA, a special sheath stamp, a unique spacer arrangement, are all excellent ideas. In theory, any of these would work to distinguish THIS knife from any later orders of 'the KTF build knife'. The problem with something not 'on' the knife (like a COA), however, is that it has a tendency to get lost or separated from the knife. I'm pretty careful with paperwork, but sooner or later, some things gets misplaced, misfiled or just plain lost.

Thanks for listening. And if I'm outvoted here...it's all good. My tastes in designing the forum build knives seem to run counter to the majority on many of the design elements, but I'm still having fun, learning a great deal, and the Capt. is correct...this will be a beautiful knife that its new owner will be proud to have.

Bob
RKCC #622

#151647 - 10/18/16 11:58 AM Re: How bout a first ever BMK knife build? [Re: rfcarlin]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Thanks Sidney. :-)

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

Page 38 of 65 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  Behring Made