dominionhobby.com
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12123 - 01/10/07 08:15 AM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: Dwayne_Dushane]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Going to need some more polishing before I let anyone look at it up close though.

#12124 - 04/22/07 05:26 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
GaryWGraley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So, are you carrying this one with you still?
Beautiful work sir, very nice!
G2

#12125 - 04/23/07 08:22 AM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: GaryWGraley]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

I've carried it almost every day since I finished it.
As a matter of fact, I used it to disable some noisy, floppin' crappies yesterday afternoon. I cleaned and oiled her up and she's back in my pocket today.

#12126 - 04/23/07 01:24 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
GaryWGraley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nice! post some new photos when you can!
G2

#12127 - 06/28/07 08:55 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: GaryWGraley]
GaryWGraley Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Got to see this one up and personal last night,
was able to drive down from Champaign IL to Tony's
and Kerry was on hand too, had a great visit and
sereral cups of coffee that served me well for the
long drive back that night!
Great knife sir!
G2

#12128 - 07/03/07 02:50 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: GaryWGraley]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Was good to finally meet you Gary. Thanks for sharing your expertise with me and bringing by some of the leather you use. Much appreciated!

#12129 - 08/23/07 11:38 AM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

I got my gumption up to flush joint this knife which is the subject of this thread. On old knives they would sometimes make the end of the bolsters flush with the end of the tang(closed position). Additionally, a riskier move was to make the end of the spring flush as well. Take some off the end of the spring and the blade will fly up into a most unsightly position when opened....bad move. Do it just right and slip joint nirvahna is achieved.

Thought you might like to see this thing again after it's been riding in my backpocket every day since I finished it. Well, actually I guess I just finished it again. Oh..new camera and better lighting helps.

http://knifehead.com/images/firstbp2.jpg
http://knifehead.com/images/firstbp3.jpg
http://knifehead.com/images/firstbp4.jpg
http://knifehead.com/images/firstbp6.jpg

#12130 - 08/23/07 12:30 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
Blues Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC
Great looking knife, Kerry. All dressed up too! Well done.

Blues' Knife Pix

#12131 - 08/23/07 01:17 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
genphideaux Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South Mississippi
Kerry,

Excellent work, like the total package look, very well thought out.

James Culpepper

#12132 - 08/23/07 02:10 PM Re: Tony helping a newby knifemaker wannabe, me [Re: kdhampton]
Dwight_Hughes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Arkansas, USA
I love how you've got it tapering down in thickness all the way from the butt thru the bolsters. This makes for a sweet feeling knife in use (or just to hold in the hand). The old cutlers would almost always do this when they hafted a knife - but unfortunately, way too many modern custom makers still have no clue whatsoever about this.

-- Dwight

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton