James Behring Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110839 - 05/08/13 12:38 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths ** [Re: Art DeCamp]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Good photo Art......there is a clear difference in the color between the brown buttons on the Heiser sheaths as opposed to the Johnson's. The Johnson's are a little lighter and not as red.
RKS#2166

#110843 - 05/08/13 11:08 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Joe,

Over the last 10 years I've seen you do a lot of good in the community by educating collectors on Randall history and dating knives, but you have your head stuck in the sand on this one. There's been a preponderance of evidence presented as who made these sheaths that even a newbie can grasp, yet you continue to throw smoke and clutch at straws. One can speculate on the reasons why, but IMO none of them are in the interest of the community or worthy of your reputation.

In response to your smoke:

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
The question about who made these sheaths and how and when they were stamped may never be settled with 100% certainty, but current evidence points to what we have been thinking for some time. This is not a new “debate”, and has been the topic of discussion amongst advanced collectors for many years.

1. Once you throw in "when they were stamped", it then becomes easy to say the question may never be settled with 100% certainty.
2. The currect evidence does not point to what "we" have been thinking for some time. What we (You in particular) have been thinking for some time is that Johnson got involved earlier than Gary's recollection.

Questions that remain unanswered:

The singularly most important question is what was the impetus for Bo to have a stamp made in the first place? Because he had already found a local sheath maker? In the event he found a local sheath maker? He didn't like the new "Heiser" stamp? Why?

More:

1) exactly when the first stamp(s) was purchased?
2) did it stay in the Randall shop in Orlando?
3) was it shipped out of state?
4) was there more than one stamp initially made?
5) did the remnants of the H.H. Heiser Company ship unmarked sheaths to Randall?
6) were unmarked Heiser sheaths stamped with the RMK stamp in the Randall shop?
7) did Maurice Johnson stamp unmarked Heisers’ in his shop?
8) exactly when was Maurice Johnson involved in the sheath making business?
9) did Hesier stay in Denver upon the final sale or move to San Francisco or LA?

This myriad of questions are all part of the puzzle.

The singularly most important question is "who made these early sheaths" (~1960 through ~ mid 1962), and that has been answered with hard evidence. The hard evidence also strongly supports a logical scenario that after Heiser (finally) agreed to use a Randall stamp in the late 50's or early 60's, Bo sent them one and then sent Johnson a duplicate stamp when he was ready to produce. It was as simple as that. The rest of your questions are not germain to the crux of the issue.

I don’t know if the sheath stamp orientation alone is enough to say definitively the sheaths in question were made by Heiser. It is a function of how the cut pieces are laid out as the stamping is done prior to assembly, and as with most quality oriented manufacturers, continuity and uniformity are generally the rule of the day. It does lean in that direction however, and while it is not “new” information per se, having it as part of a series of characteristics, it adds to the evidence for those making a case.

The keeper snap location would also lean towards Heiser production, yet the two sheaths Ron posted photos of with the 3-6’s appear in some respects to be Johnson made.

The leather Hesier used was generally different than what Johnson used for the most part at least early on, but kind of became the same on some examples.

Then there is stitching which no one has addressed yet, and may be the most definitive difference.

I personally think that the “style” of the sheath in overall appearance is surely the most critical piece of evidence and what brought us here to begin with. The sheaths in question just “look” like a Heiser product, plain an simple. Take away all the minutia and just look at the sheath. What do you have? I addressed this in my last article on the subject linked previously in this thread.

There has not been just one or even just two distinct differences pointed out. There have been three:

1. Stamp orientation.
2. Keeper strap placement
3. The tooled edge.

How many do you want?

Here are a couple of sheaths to think about. Ron was looking for the “control” Johnson, well here it is. The black 1-7 sheath has never had a knife in it. The other “Johnson” is almost in the same condition. Note that the black sheath is LH, so the stamp is in the correct orientation that some believe identifies it as Heiser made, yet it is a Johnson made sheath. Hmmmmmm…….

Those two sheaths you posted a photo of are poster children for "The Heiser-Johnson brown button grand unification theory"!: All three of the differences are in evidence.

I will state again for the umpteenth time, that to eliminate grey areas and contradictions, and until concrete evidence that would answer some of the questions listed above presents itself, at this time and for my collecting purposes, and even though I may think differently, if a sheath has an RMK stamp, it is a Johnson.

I think you're on your own on this one, Joe. I can only hope that some day you give up the ghost and align with reality for the good of the community and the the history of Randall Made knives.

Best,

#110844 - 05/08/13 11:14 AM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: Art DeCamp]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Art DeCamp
I've spent alot of time gazing at sheaths and their construction in an effort to make sense of who made which sheath. It makes ones head hurt sometimes. Here are some photos of five different Model 7's with brown button sheaths. The three on the left are all stamped Heiser. The two on the right have the Randall Made stamping. All five have the "tooled ridge" or groove.

Close examination of the tooled groove shows that it always follows the stitching, and is only where stitching is on the sheath. With this in mind, it seems to me that this tooled groove is likely imparted onto the leather edge by the pressure foot of the stitching machine. I would assume different stitching machines apply different pressure patterns, as this same type tooled groove is not seen on later known Johnson or even Sullivan sheaths. I wonder if this groove could be unique to the stitching machine used by Heiser?

The next photo shows the backs same five sheaths. The die used to cut out the leather varies quite a bit in shape. I wonder if there is anything to be discovered here with respect to the timing of use of specific die patterns? Since the time that Johnson was supplying sheaths overlaps with that of Heiser, it seems likely to me that Johnon's dies for cutting the leather would have been different in some way.

Art,

I don't know you, but your observation that the tooled groove and stitching are always hand-in-hand and the stitching machine may be responsible for this is brilliant. Great contribution!

Best,

#110845 - 05/08/13 03:01 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow Ron, was not expecting that at all. Nevertheless, I will put it to you this way and as I have stated in this thread and the article on my site that is linked in this thread, I have never said Heiser did not make the sheaths, and in fact am aligned with what the 'preponderance" of evidence suggests. I even called it in print BEFORE you or anyone else jumped on the bandwagon. It wasn't until the sample sheath auction that you guys jumped on and made an issue of it.

All I have said and for those that have actually read my posts to include the newbie and the experienced collector alike, is that I would like to have some hard proof which up to this point has been unobtanium.

That being said, do YOU have any communication between Bo and the stamp maker? Do YOU have any communication between Bo and Heiser? Do YOU have an communication between Bo and Maurice Johnson? Do YOU have any hard evidence that states when or where sheaths were stamped?

I didn't think so.

Quote:
The currect evidence does not point to what "we" have been thinking for some time. What we (You in particular) have been thinking for some time is that Johnson got involved earlier than Gary's recollection.

No, you are incorrect. Bob H. and myself ("we") had numerous conversations (you were not privy to and I believe beginning before you were collecting) about this many years ago dating back to the late 90's. Although we had our thoughts that it would be improbable that Johnson could make an exact duplicate of a Heiser based on several factors , we (meaning Bob and myself) decided it was easier to give a RMK stamped sheath the nod to Maurice Johnson. It was as simple as that.

Quote:
The singularly most important question is "who made these early sheaths" (~1960 through ~ mid 1962), and that has been answered with hard evidence. The hard evidence also strongly supports a logical scenario that after Heiser (finally) agreed to use a Randall stamp in the late 50's or early 60's, Bo sent them one and then sent Johnson a duplicate stamp when he was ready to produce. It was as simple as that.The rest of your questions are not germain to the crux of the issue.

Supposition at best yet I am clutching at straws? YOU nor I nor anyone else knows this. Period. All you have said has not answered any of the questions that are "not germain to the crux of the issue". Well, they are exactly that, they are the issue.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, you can answer even one of the questions presented with hard proof, I am all ears.

Perhaps the best way to reference these sheaths is as "transitional" between Heiser and Johnson.

Does that make everybody happy?

But hey, what do I know, kinda dark where I am and the sand is in my eyes.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#110846 - 05/08/13 03:10 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BoBlade
Originally Posted By: Art DeCamp
I've spent alot of time gazing at sheaths and their construction in an effort to make sense of who made which sheath. It makes ones head hurt sometimes. Here are some photos of five different Model 7's with brown button sheaths. The three on the left are all stamped Heiser. The two on the right have the Randall Made stamping. All five have the "tooled ridge" or groove.

Close examination of the tooled groove shows that it always follows the stitching, and is only where stitching is on the sheath. With this in mind, it seems to me that this tooled groove is likely imparted onto the leather edge by the pressure foot of the stitching machine. I would assume different stitching machines apply different pressure patterns, as this same type tooled groove is not seen on later known Johnson or even Sullivan sheaths. I wonder if this groove could be unique to the stitching machine used by Heiser?

The next photo shows the backs same five sheaths. The die used to cut out the leather varies quite a bit in shape. I wonder if there is anything to be discovered here with respect to the timing of use of specific die patterns? Since the time that Johnson was supplying sheaths overlaps with that of Heiser, it seems likely to me that Johnon's dies for cutting the leather would have been different in some way.

Art,

I don't know you, but your observation that the tooled groove and stitching are always hand-in-hand and the stitching machine may be responsible for this is brilliant. Great contribution!

Best,

This isn't new either and has been talked about on numerous occasions that the presser foot and needle plate on the Heiser machine had a different shape and likely used more pressure resulting in the "tooled" edge effect which in fact is probably a by-product of the sewing process.

You will see sometimes see it to this day to a lesser degree on some Sullivan sheaths, particularly black sheaths.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#110847 - 05/08/13 04:16 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Joe

I "think" the reason you see it more on black sheaths is the black leather is different than the tan leather. The black leather is "drum dyed" if my memory is correct.
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#110848 - 05/08/13 04:18 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe,

I don't know how you can say that you're now in fact aligned with what the 'preponderance" of evidence suggests, yet go on to say I would like to have some hard proof which up to this point has been unobtanium.THE SHEATHS THEMSELVES ARE THE HARD PROOF! Even now, you can't bring yourself to call these sheaths Heisers (Transitional? Come on....) In any event, I've said my piece and there is no merit in further debating minutiae with you.

If I came across hard, I apologise. It was in the interest of all the other collectors out there.

Best,

#110849 - 05/08/13 04:52 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BoBlade
Joe,

I don't know how you can say that you're now in fact aligned with what the 'preponderance" of evidence suggests, yet go on to say I would like to have some hard proof which up to this point has been unobtanium.THE SHEATHS THEMSELVES ARE THE HARD PROOF! Even now, you can't bring yourself to call these sheaths Heisers (Transitional? Come on....) In any event, I've said my piece and there is no merit in further debating minutiae with you.

If I came across hard, I apologise. It was in the interest of all the other collectors out there.

Best,

Again Ron, you need to READ MY POSTS THOROUGHLY which to this point you apparently have not done. It is all in the details my friend, or as you say, minutiae. Or did I call it that?

On page 11 of this thread a quote from my post:

Quote:
I personally think that the “style” of the sheath in overall appearance is surely the most critical piece of evidence and what brought us here to begin with. The sheaths in question just “look” like a Heiser product, plain an simple. Take away all the minutia and just look at the sheath. What do you have? I addressed this in my last article on the subject linked previously in this thread.

You are repeating what I have already said. Remember, no one was on board until the sheath auction, then the zealots come out of the woodwork. Again, you should read the posts thoroughly.

Also, to be clear, Heiser made sheaths marked with the RMK stamp are most assuredly transitional sheaths. Otherwise, what are they?

In the "interest of all the other collectors out there", I am going with the position that this is still a friendly discussion. I believe most are on the same page, but I for one still like to dig a bit and look for the proverbial smoking gun. So, if some unequivocal information comes to light, it will be presented.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#110850 - 05/08/13 05:01 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: BoBlade]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Joe and Ron...and everyone on the "sidelines",
Well: At least we have a thread that folks are passionate about! It is nice to see discussion and theories as to "what was" and "what could have or might have been". I still see a lot of theory and Monday morning quarterbacking.
The truth is constant and one thing holds "true" that can be carried on from this thread. I spoke to Joe an hour ago and I told him (This was before I got home and read all of the recent posts.) that the only true way one can characterize these sheaths, in question, is by using the term "transitional". That is true and what, I believe, they are (at least without editorializing as to what and where and when and who)!
I know of no concrete evidence to support Heiser having ever received a Randall sheath stamp. I never witnesssed old Heiser revolver holsters with Montgomery Ward or J C Penney's logos or names either. I could spectulate that Heiser used their name...and their name "only" on their leather work. Do I have any proof? Absolutely not! Do I arrive at this conclusion simply by what I have "seen" verses "never seen"? NO! I I'm not arriving at any conclusions or speculations. That's why I stated that I "could" speculate. I'm not "actually" speculating.
Either way: Transitional sheaths do, indeed, exist. We are seeing some (quite splendid) examples of them within this thread and I hope we continue to do so. But the truth is still represented by the "transitional" label.
Keep it up everyone (and let's be nice),
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#110851 - 05/08/13 05:11 PM Re: Heiser Vesus Johnson Sheaths [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe,

You're killing me here (I'm sure I killing you as well). Yes, I read your posts. This is one of them:

Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason

Model 4-6, scribed on backside 3-11-61

I remember that knife. If that doesn't look like a Johnson front and back, I don't know what does.

The "Zealot" you mentioned was the guy who was responsible for putting this old question to bed. I for one thank the guy.

The sheaths are Heiser first and "transitional" second in the order of importance to the community.

Best,

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod