Stanback Knives Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102560 - 06/19/12 05:34 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) * [Re: Ironworker]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ok, if my memory serves me, I was told by Pete that the four finger groove was the earliest. The reason I asked was I owned it at the time, and I guess that was 7-8 or so years ago.

Walt is correct in his assertion that the four finger groove was very time consuming, so it only lasted for a few examples from what I understand. I think the smooth handle and finder groove handle were made right at the same time.

Dave Griffin made all of these I believe, and I don't think the tapered tang was a conscious thought to reduce weight inasmuch as to make a "custom" type knife like you might find from Herron or Loveless.

Scott might have some input on these.

#102561 - 06/19/12 05:43 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Crutch,
Yes...The 4 finger grip (You know: The one that's staying in my collection) was/is the earliest. Not that it's a huge deal, one way or the other, as they're all vintage, extremely collectable and just plain "way-cool"!
Ronnie: The "smooth" white one if fossil walrus. All of them...each of them..."any" of them would make a true Randall collector quite proud to have in their cript!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Also take "another" glance at the "top tang" inclusive photo of the whole lot. You should be able to notice the earliest example being slightly
"shorter"...CCS

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/19/12 05:44 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#102562 - 06/19/12 06:49 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Earlier in the thread I encouraged everyone to get to the Blade Show as soon as possible, that the dynamics are changing. When looking at this photo of Guido and Tune, which I took because of Guido's surprise at the ability of the iPhone to take credit cards, I noticed in the background something you never saw at Blade as little as 1-2 years ago and the reason for my comment. Junes Jewlery and Gifts?!?! WTF?!?!

Attachments
------IMG_1416.JPG

#102564 - 06/19/12 07:17 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
HALORANGER Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FLORIDA
Last year was my first and it's a knife dreamland. Uncle Sam pulled a fast one on me this year. Fool me once! I will go AWOL next year if need be.
RKS#5929
HOG Member
www.bedgoodknives.com

#102565 - 06/19/12 07:35 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Earlier in the thread I encouraged everyone to get to the Blade Show as soon as possible, that the dynamics are changing. When looking at this photo of Guido and Tune, which I took because of Guido's surprise at the ability of the iPhone to take credit cards, I noticed in the background something you never saw at Blade as little as 1-2 years ago and the reason for my comment. Junes Jewlery and Gifts?!?! WTF?!?!

I remember going to gun shows here in Nebraska/Iowa and noticing vendors selling crap like beef jerky, jewelry, tools, etc.....with not one gun on their table. Unfortunately, the shows have gone downhill ever since. Hardly worth paying the price of admission.

My worry is that there are not a lot of "younger" folks interested in knife collecting....to carry the torch for us older farts....I hope this isn't the case. I've never been to Blade, and curious--do you see the younger demographic represented or am I just ranting like an old man?

Edited by Doug74 (06/19/12 08:23 PM)

#102566 - 06/19/12 07:59 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Doug74]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Doug74

I remember going to gun shows here in Nebraska/Iowa and noticing vendors selling crap like beef jerky, jewelry, tools, etc.....with not one gun on their table. Unfortunately, the shows have gone downhill ever since. Hardly worth paying the price of admission.

My worry is that there are not a lot of "younger" folks interested in knife collecting....to carry the torch for us older farts....I hope this isn't the case. I've never been to Blade, and curious--do you see the younger demographic represented or am I just ranting like an old man?

That is what I was envisioning with June's table(s), and there were a couple more than that. I don't recall seeing any knives on her table. I want to be clear, it ain't dead, and it is still a load of fun, but there has been a bit of a shift. I think most will agree it ain't the same as it was in past years. That is not to say it isn't good, just changing a bit. Part of that is due to some of the old playas aren't with us any longer or have taken up other interests.

Another factor is the expense of doing the show. With the crappy economy, there has been no effort on the part of the show organizers to contain expenses to the vendor which brings me to this, that Blade no longer manages the show in house. It has been subbed out to a company that promotes and manages shows of all kinds throughout the country. So the bottom line is what is best for them to make money, and not necessarily support those that have supported Blade over the years.

As far as the younger generation, I guess it is relative. Yes, there are some younger folks there, but it takes someone to instill the interest. I think as time passes, allot of these hobbies will have fewer and fewer participants. Technology is the new hobby for a huge number of younger people.

#102568 - 06/19/12 08:08 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Excellent discussion on these Randall Drop Points.
I think I did guess the finger grooved one ... the bottom one ... although for the wrong reason.
I will have do everything I can to try and make it next year!!!!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#102570 - 06/19/12 08:28 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
As was discussed at the RKCC meeting, part of what I hope the RKCA will become will be an organization geared to getting younger knife enthusiasts involved. The 8 year olds, like Robert, are far and few in between. Robert's older brother, Matthew, while being interested in knives, doesn't have the passion for it as does his younger brother.
If some of you older knife freaks would seek out your local scout troops, church youth groups, etc. and introduce these youngsters to the knife, there's no telling where this hobby can go!
Just sayin'...Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/19/12 11:07 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#102571 - 06/19/12 08:29 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
As was discussed at the RKCC meeting, part of what I hope the RKCA will become will be an organization geared to getting younger knife enthusiasts involved. The 8 year olds, like Robert, are far and few in between. Robert's older brother, Michael, while being interested in knives, doesn't have the passion for it as does his younger brother.
If some of you older knife freaks would seek out your local scout troops, church youth groups, etc. and introduce these youngsters to the knife, there's no telling where this hobby can go!
Just sayin'...Capt. Chris

Excellent Captain!

#102579 - 06/19/12 10:43 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Doug74]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Cap,
You can believe as long as Ken and I are breathing.Robert and
Matthew will be exposed to Randalls,especially Robert!!He's hooked.
Any kid that comes in the gun store with their parents gets and
ear full about guns and knives from Ken and me.AS said earlier
it's up to us to get kids interested like our parents,grandparents
uncles did for us!!!I also mke sure there are knives at our Friends
of The NRA Dinner every year.
Billy Poyner
RKCC
MM

Proud to have served my country 67-69

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Moderator:  Mr_Mod