James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102205 - 06/09/12 10:46 AM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) * [Re: alf]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Last minute happenings forced me out again this year Lance. Thought hard about driving over this morning but decided to just go to a Gun Show here instead. Had some really good stuff for sale....too bad. So wait till next year.
RKS#2166

#102210 - 06/09/12 08:41 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Ronnie]
alf Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: SEUS
Well, sorry i missed you Ronnie, and anyone else....had my own Blade Show of sorts today, got a screaming deal on a boogered Randall 5-6 from a fellow board member here which i reworked to near new, and today rewarded a kid in my Sunday school class who has overcome tremendous obstacles, not the least of which is coming from a family who lives poor as churchmice because every child in the family is adopted from the difficult-to-place pool....this is what a boy in shock looks like as it dawns on him that this knife is gonna be his....i've had these kids 5yrs now and will miss them...

Before and after pics of knife, which rather than "improved" now looks "barely used"...hard to make out in pics but originally had swirls and bumps ground into ricasso, as well as rounded edges above, and generally swirled finish to entire blade running different direction on each seperate surface, and a few surfaces sporting multiple direction grinding.

Never a good idea to compare stainless to O-1 for finishes, and pictures always show something different depending on lighting and angle....should have taken a pic of it next to the new 1-6 which would show how righteous it was....ah well....

Edited by alf (06/09/12 09:21 PM)

#102211 - 06/09/12 09:09 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: alf]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Great story and that's about as nice of a present as any kid could receive. The Lord will bless you for that!! Thanks for the post and your "Blade Show" was sure a blessing to me.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#102212 - 06/09/12 09:38 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: pappy19]
alf Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Never would have happened without a fellow board member selling it to me at a very good price even when later offered quite a bit more from a prospective buyer.....he will remain forever anonymous, but his initials are "Pat/Byrdguy".....oops....darn, i hate it when i do that!

#102214 - 06/09/12 11:11 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: alf]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That makes it all worthwhile Lance! I'm sure you've given that young man plenty of good direction and I hope he really appreciates it. The knife looks great.
Have a nice weekend.
RKS#2166

#102215 - 06/09/12 11:42 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Ronnie]
alf Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks, Ronnie, it has been a very good Blade Show and weekend....and he will look at that knife 30yrs from now when times are tough, and will remember how him having it ties in to everything i taught him, and that things only SEEM tough at times...and that people can do grand things when they live selflessly and lose themselves in service.

We now return you to your regular Blade Show programming.

Edited by alf (06/10/12 01:07 AM)

#102218 - 06/10/12 10:12 AM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: alf]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Nice job Lance! BRAVO!!!
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#102224 - 06/10/12 01:49 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: alf]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: alf

Originally Posted By: alf
the real name is Lance

I am confused. Is it Lance or Pat?

#102225 - 06/10/12 02:05 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: crutchtip]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe I believe Pat sold Lance the knife at a very affordable, i.e. low price. Then, as I understand Lance restored the knife....bringing it back to life. Lance then gave the knife to this young man. A generous thing to do regardless of price. He made this kids day. I admire anyone who tries to help others who might not have had the same advantages we have had in our lives. I believe the young man is thanking Pat because he gave up a higher profit in order to help this deal work out.
RKS#2166

#102226 - 06/10/12 02:37 PM Re: News From The Front (Blade Show) [Re: Ronnie]
alf Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for the accurate translation, Ronnie....i was making sure Pat got a thank you from the boy...he's a good kid i have seen show up for class sporting a ratty thrift store velour bomber jacket showing off his new winter coat, and when i was showing boys in a class a Randall catalog, him looking at the floor in humility and pain when some other boy announced "i'm gonna get my dad to get me one of those!"....now, he was one nice thing second to none, anyhow...although entirely servicable as received, the rework was to save him the experience of having some helpful expert point out everything wrong with his knife years from now....

Edited by alf (06/10/12 03:04 PM)

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod