Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Crutch,
I find the comment about having a tough time getting the shop to agree to sharpen your top bevel mis-informed. (You didn't say it...Someone else mentioned it as hearsay)...What say you? I have always thought the "TB" option was available on the models: #3...#4...#5...Am I wrong?

Yep. The first one, "the prototype" if you will, did not have the top bevel sharpened as it was not available on the #3 or #4, and had not been available in recent memory. While standing at the counter during a visit to the shop maybe a year or so after it was made and having a little show and tell, Gary agreed to sharpen the "prototype" and it was then etched RECON to desginate that fact. This basically was the "go ahead" for the project.

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
With regards to all black spacers: I think some of the "trend" is coincidental, being as your Recon premiered right around the same time as the shop started limiting spacer choices, i.e. no more "all blue" or "red & blue", etc. This prompted me to pursue the "all red" and "all black" routine a bit more. I'll be interested to hear your comments on this.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
PS: Give me a call also, when you have a chance...CCS

No, not really. I don't know exactly when the shop started limiting spacer choices, but the idea for the RECON was born around 1990, which I believe was prior to the shop limits.

I don't recall ever seeing all black spacers but on only a few knives, and most were micarta and possibly an ebony thrown in there, but most definitely not leather. I originally wanted all white as were the original CISO knives, but Gary didn't want to do that. Nevertheless, there was a rash of all black spacer leather handled knives that started showing up a few years later.

Note also that it was Gary's request/suggestion that a stamp be made for the sheath.

Bottom line, I was forutunate to have this thing made.