Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45246 - 07/21/08 10:56 AM Old Style CokeBottle on eBay *****
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
One of our good friends here on this Forum just called me up to tell me about an auction on eBay. Thought you may want to check it out.

CokeBottle on eBay

Nice AG Russell Bone on that beast

#45247 - 07/21/08 06:17 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: John_Nugent]
MRobuck Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's a lot of knife for a lot of $$$$. Good thing it has free shipping.

#45248 - 08/20/08 01:21 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: MRobuck]
RIgaman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Was that a fair price for that knife? It seemed a little pricey. I really like it though. I am just getting into Bose knives, so I have alot to learn.

Edited by RIgaman (08/20/08 01:23 PM)

#45249 - 08/20/08 04:07 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: RIgaman]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Welcome...the price is what is I guess you could say. It is a nice knife/pattern. There are a lot of guys that know about Bose knives on this forum, so feel free to ask any question.

#45250 - 08/20/08 07:42 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: RIgaman]
seussbrother Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Let me answer this way. This forum is full of knowledgeable Bose knife freaks and no one here bid on it and it is a beautiful knife so I reckon it was too pricey for even the deep pockets here for what it was.

Nobody loves the knives or admires the work of the Boses more than I do but the secondary market is way too steep for me. I can see a couple or a few hundred dollars profit but not double and triple the cost of the knife new. Alas the old supply and demand thing though. If you own it and can get your price for it, more power to you.

If I were a Bose, the first knife I sold a friend which appeared on eBay, would be their last from my shop unless there were extenuating financial circumstances. There are plenty of people who would love to have a Bose knife to cherish and keep and God forbid, even use and pass down the family tree and those are the people I would sell to. On the website, the knives I most enjoy looking at are the ones which have the well earned patina of good honest use. But, that's just simple minded, sentimental old me.

seuss

#45251 - 08/20/08 07:51 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: seussbrother]
MRobuck Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Who knows, maybe someone from this forum did buy it but didn't pay that eBay price? (Not me.)

I agree with you about the secondary market. It's gotten out of my league, but there always seems to be someone willing to pay those prices.

And it seemed like a fair number of the people at the Bose Blade drawing were there to flip knives for a profit instead of sticking them in their pockets or even in a collection. At least a few of my friends got lucky though.

#45252 - 08/20/08 08:27 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: MRobuck]
RIgaman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It is always hard to do the "right thing" when it comes to selling a knife with high demand like these. If someone is in need of money, and wants to sell there knife, it is never easy to sell it for cheaper, when they know they can get alot more. Especially if they want to find another one down the road. They will wind up having to pay a huge price.. It is a big on going circle it seems.

#45253 - 08/20/08 08:42 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: RIgaman]
Bob_Glassman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

As a dealer and a Bose collector, it isn't often that I sell Bose knives. They are the last to go. But, the fact of the matter is, if someone is offering, and someone is willing to pay the price, I see nothing wrong with it. Keep in mind that Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. To me, these knives are priceless. There ain't anything else out there like them. There are knives that go for far more then these knives.

Ask yourself these questions:

Is a Ron Lake knife worth 5 times the price of a Bose?
Is a Michael Walker knife worth over 3 or 4 times the price of a Bose?

That is alot more expensive then a Bose knife even on the secondary market. When you put it in perspective compared to knives by other makers that are far more expensive, it really doesn't seem that bad to me. I would rather have Bose knives for me then one of the others. As I have been told by a number of makers, it is harder to make a really high quality slipjoint then a linerlock.

Just my opinion.

#45254 - 08/20/08 09:56 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: John_Nugent]
Campbell Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
I just wrote a very, very long post on the subject of secondary market prices, but decided that as many knife purveyors are my friends, I would not offend...so I deleted it although it took 10 minutes to write. The only thing that I will say is that some secondary market prices have been unreasonable lately. That being said, love you knife selling sons-a-beaches....I've come to know many of you well and I'm thankful for it.

#45255 - 08/20/08 10:58 PM Re: Old Style CokeBottle on eBay [Re: MRobuck]
seussbrother Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was at the Blade drawing and was just jealous that a) I wasn't drawn and b) that I didn't know so many were being flipped until the shouting was over. Ignorance on my part..........AGAIN!

I appreciate all of the responses to my post and actually was surprised that they weren't more violent. I know I may have tapped on some toes with what I said. With all of that being said, I do understand about high dollar knives. Really, I DO understand but right now I've got the Bose fever real bad and the wait kills me. Been collecting knives for over 50 years and the excitement has not diminished a bit when the hunt is on. I love the pictures of the ones you guys have captured and I check a couple of times a day for more eye candy.

All the best in Bose collecting,

Allan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton