Miles Swelze Randall Made Knife
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3253 - 01/06/06 12:08 PM Length of the Challege Beaver Tail?
Matt_Slinkard Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Littleton Colorado
Happy New Year to all. Who can tell me what the lenght of the Challage Beaver Tail is and what is the difference between the Beaver tail and the model 17 Coke bottle. More pictures of both would be much appreciated.
Thanks Matt
RKS #4575

#3254 - 01/06/06 08:16 PM Re: Length of the Challege Beaver Tail? [Re: Matt_Slinkard]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Hi Matt,

Here is a picture of the two side by side to show you the difference.

The CokeBottle is an older pattern out of Wilfred Works; it is a much heavier and larger knife. Closed length is 5 ½”. I do not believe this pattern is still being made.

The other knife, the Challenge BeaverTail is a more slender knife, 5 ¼” closed. I think this pattern has replaced the older pattern.

Both Knives are great, just a lot of knife. They are available in LockBack, SlipJoint, one or two blades and even one has been made with a swing guard. With a two blade you can get two full blades or pen blade.

This pattern goes way back to the early 1800s and was made by many different knife companies. I would not think that this knife was carried in your pocket, but in your coat or saddlebag. I have always wondered why a Hunter, trapper or skinner would carry one of these and not a straight knife. Hope this helps.

Attachments
3044-StagBeaverTail-CokeBottle.jpg (135 downloads)

#3255 - 01/07/06 07:40 AM Re: Length of the Challege Beaver Tail? [Re: John_Nugent]
Matt_Slinkard Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Littleton Colorado
Hi Matt

That is a Flute on the bolster, a filed groove. Looks great I think.

As far as a book there is only one that I know of

How to Make Multi-Blade Folding Knives

Attachments
3049-Book_.jpg (135 downloads)

Edited by John_Nugent (01/07/06 08:49 AM)
RKS #4575

#3256 - 01/07/06 04:02 PM Challenge BeaverTail & CokeBottle [Re: Matt_Slinkard]
John_Nugent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Indiana
Here is a picture I did for the 2001 Blade show. A nice set - Challenge BeaverTail & CokeBottle in Cocobolo

Attachments
3053-eCokeBottle&BeaverTail.jpg (115 downloads)

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton