James Behring Knives Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124213 - 02/06/15 11:13 AM 10-3 Swollen Micarta **
Aurevoir Gopher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc:
This is my third 10-3 and by far my favorite. I love the grind. The edge is thicker than others I've had. Darn near a perfect flat grind. The handle is a little thicker than others I've had so it fits better in my hand. It is older, which means with it having one pin, it is 440B, which I prefer over ATS-34, which I've actually had rust. The older black Micart is also my favorite. Has a very slight green hue to it and in the case of this one, very cool "grain".

Here is the thing. First thing I noticed when I received it from the original owner was the fact I was feeling the seams between the Micarta and spine. Also on both sides of the knife, the pins and thong hole are not flush with the handle, but countersunk just a bit.

Anyone else experience this. It would appear that my Micarta has swollen a little over the years. I used a Magnifier App to get the close up shots.

Thong Hole.

Pin

Finger groove

#124215 - 02/06/15 11:29 AM Re: 10-3 Swollen Micarta [Re: Aurevoir Gopher]
romanum Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Grain depend on which way micarta turned when shaping. Rotate 90 deg and different. Also expose weave edges more where phenol can be broken/worn out of fiber edge.

Normal micarta considered super stable but some batch may be better than other if exposed to much wet or oil or solvent. Maybe only rough edges absorb and lift on yours? I keep adding as thinking. Also perhaps simply springback of micarta due to difference density or weave direction? Many theory. Only one or maybe only none right.

I would bet unusual happen with yours for sure. But sure have seen much old deteriorate micarta at work so it happen.

Very little different between ATS34 and 440C and Crucible now list the ATS as 440C Modified on data sheet. Steel buyer ask for steel by spec normal of no less carbon this and no more carbon that and not name, think Randall request carbon amount at border of B & C maybe. Each batch have data essay sheet and maybe use closer B for water knives?

Edited by romanum (02/06/15 12:56 PM)

#124218 - 02/06/15 03:46 PM Re: 10-3 Swollen Micarta [Re: romanum]
Leatherman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: IL
the micarta has not changed or moved, it is very stable. I believe you the knife might have changed but its probably due to wear or the glues holding said metals. If it bothers you I would send it in, I'm sure they could make it like new in no time at all and probably not charge you!

#124219 - 02/06/15 04:00 PM Re: 10-3 Swollen Micarta [Re: Leatherman]
romanum Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This strange subject grabbed mind. Possible final finish left proud and soft buff reach metal but would expect micarta rounded or metal close to micarta unfinish. Something.

Own feeling is just left proud.

No sign of rehandle and restake of pin/ferrule? Not appear to be. Neat subject and thanks for mentating.

Edited by romanum (02/06/15 05:45 PM)

#124343 - 02/11/15 11:18 AM Re: 10-3 Swollen Micarta [Re: romanum]
Aurevoir Gopher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc:
It does not bother me at all. I like the feeling in a way. Feels secure. It is weird though. The Micarta has definitely swollen to a degree. It may be it is beginning to break down a little. I'll take more photos in 20 years and we shall compare.

Moderator:  Mr_Mod