Randall Made Knife Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90321 - 07/21/11 11:44 AM eBay Springfield *
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Sorry but I don't don't know how to get the photo from ebay to this site but will you please look at this knife, ebay #230645858570 and tell me has this knife had a broken blade and rewelded?
There is a mark just in front of the stamp from top to bottom of the blade. I have a friend that is interested but we are concerned about this mark. I contacted the dealer and he advised that the blade had never been rewelded....I'm not sure he would have that info unless he owned this blade since 1943. The opposite side of the blade does not show this mark as best I can see.
Expert help needed please.
Thanks.
RKS#2166

#90323 - 07/21/11 01:34 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Ronnie]
kalervo Offline
Knife Enthusiast

To me it 's not rewelded. Looks like the blade have been very rusty and someone has tried to remove the rust to be better looking.
shag #29

#90326 - 07/21/11 02:07 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Ronnie]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Ronnie,
There are several lines running top to bottom but I see what your talking about. I don't think it's been broken and welded. One would have to make a concerted effort to brake the blade in the center like that. Heavy abuse that would break the blade would most probably break it at the choil. Additionally, this example looks like it may be one of the 500 +/- knives that came from Northampton Cutlery Company.
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#90331 - 07/21/11 03:49 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Rick_Bowles]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Ronnie,

I agree with both Kalervo and Rick about it not being broken and welded, and again with Rick about it being a Northampton knife. That said, IMO for the $ it is not a good example condition-wise nor does it have it's original sheath which is a double whammy. Despite the low numbers vs. Orlando WWII fighters, one sees quite a few more Springfields come up for sale. When it comes to old Randalls, patience is indeed a virtue. This comes from 1st hand experience.

Best,

#90339 - 07/21/11 05:59 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: BoBlade]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks to all for your help. I too thought this was a Northampton Blade and explained that to my friend who is interested in this knife. That is a very unusual mark on the blade and just couldn't figure this one out. As for the sheath...he's got that. An original Springfield Sheath. He just needs the knife.
Thanks again to you all.
RKS#2166

#90340 - 07/21/11 06:13 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Ronnie]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I've never really been a fan of the Springfield because they weren't made in Orlando. Having said that, each Springfield does indeed have a direct connection. BO actually made each of the wrist thong nuts himself.
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#90344 - 07/21/11 10:43 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Rick_Bowles]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

First time I ever heard that Rick. What was the reason for that?
And I sort of agree with you about the not from Orlando deal. But regardless of that, they still have that Randall name and that makes them part of the game. Also there are some really attractive early Springfields that really have a good look to them and you absolutely positively know when those early ones were made. Right in the thick of it.
Thanks for the response.
RKS#2166

#90346 - 07/21/11 11:15 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Rick_Bowles]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Rick_Bowles
BO actually made each of the wrist thong nuts himself.

?

#90347 - 07/22/11 06:06 AM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: crutchtip]
Rick_Bowles Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Joe,
Bo Randall made each of the wrist thong nuts himself and furnished them to Larsen.
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com
N.K.C.A.
NRA Endowment

#90370 - 07/22/11 07:28 PM Re: eBay Springfield [Re: Rick_Bowles]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After all the reasearch and discussion about Springfield Randalls over the years, that is the first I have heard of that. How and where did you come about this information?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod