Randall Made Knife James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198601 - 03/19/22 04:06 PM Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit
piglet Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tampa Bay
Gents,

It has been awhile since I have been active here so regrets.

This is a two-in-one post as it's all tied together.

I was able to finally meet Joe Dorsky a few weekends back in St. Pete Beach. Had a wonderful visit and was able to show him my Recon #53 that I had gotten from him new circa 2006. I carried it overseas and was happy to show him one that ventured out of the safe to be used as intended. The Brass butt with wrist thong was loose (rotated laterally) and he mentioned that the RMK Shop would tighten it up for me.

This past Monday, I found myself heading over to Orlando for work and thought I would stop by the RMK shop. I had been to the shop 20+ years ago and it hasn't changed much other that the museum has moved into Mr. Randall's original home.

I had phoned them ahead of my visit and when I arrived they took a look at the Brass butt and said they can fix it in 10-minutes if I could wait. So, while they fixed it, I got to meet some of the knife makers and watch them work on knives. Great bunch of guys all working very hard to turn out one of the best fix blades you can buy.

They even gave me a new black zip case with RMK embroidered in orange for the Recon. Very kind of them and much appreciated. I then met Michael who gave me a tour of the museum for an hour. He was very gracious with his time and showing me around. Always great to have your own guide in a museum.

Michael did mention that the second Monday of April is the big Randall on-site annual sale and that folks would be lining up late Saturday to be the first ones in the shop. Sounds exciting!

Is anyone on the boards going to be there on 11 April 2022? I bet there will be a host of awesome knives available to buy and great stories to share while in line.

Hope you enjoyed my post as much as I did writing it.

Again - great to have meet Joe in person - GREAT guy!

Best,
Tom

Attachments
IMG_4289.jpg (108 downloads)

Edited by piglet (03/19/22 04:10 PM)

#198602 - 03/19/22 04:07 PM Re: Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit [Re: piglet]
piglet Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tampa Bay
Another picture of the Recon #53

Attachments
IMG_4290.jpg (99 downloads)

#198604 - 03/19/22 06:00 PM Re: Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit [Re: piglet]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
The images needed to be resized for the forum.
Thanks for the pictures and the description of your shop visit.
Enjoyed it.

Molon Labe

#198606 - 03/19/22 08:28 PM Re: Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit [Re: BladesNBarrels]
GaryK Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Beautiful knife Tom. Thanks for the story!
RKCC CM#808

#198609 - 03/19/22 10:15 PM Re: Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit [Re: GaryK]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Great post Tom. Can an old timer educate me on the Recon and the serial numbers?
RKS #4868

#198619 - 03/20/22 04:49 PM Re: Randall Recon and Randall Shop Visit [Re: tomthbomb]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Great post Tom. Can an old timer educate me on the Recon and the serial numbers?

Below is the announcement for the Recon. As for serial numbers, crutchtip posted (in mid-2013), "Down to the end of the run. Numbers 96 and 97 are now available. Only two more after this (# 100 going in the museum) and that is it. No more."

Attachments
------Recon.jpg

RKS #258

Moderator:  Mr_Mod