I have needed and used them for a lifetime, still have my Puma Game Warden from 1973. Then came others of lighter build and higher tech, the AFCK and etc.

Tried quite a few, settled on fewer. The top two are 1/8th" thick blades, the 3rd down is the beefed up version of the 2nd, with larger pivot and stop pin, with 0.140" thick blade, and the bottom knife is 4" of 3/16ths" thick steel. Aside from the top H1 knife, all are S35VN steel.

Of them all, only the bottom Rick Hinderer comes close to the elusive fixed blade strength in a folder. The solid stop stud through the blade is 1/4" diameter and pressed through. It butts against frame when open, preventing blade from breaking back over the top, braces to side against lateral play, and only could eventually be pounded closed by beating on the spine to peen/collapse the titanium frame lock. Pretty much as strong (and as heavy, at just under 8oz) as any 4" heavy bladed full length, reduced/stick tang knife, but still lags the euphemistic "full tang" of full handle size. And yet, a "Dependable Custom Knife", as former fireman/EMT/rescue diver Hinderer calls them, designing his own after failure of a touted emergency knife liner lock while cutting away a seat at an accident scene. The grind is quite good on this spearpoint version, immensely strong tip with useful cutting/carving edge not left over-thick as many.

As the saying goes, a big knife can often do a small knife job, but a small knife never able to do a big knife job.

Gratuitous last shot for the curious. Depending on angle and light, the scale can appear 100% purple over entire surface including flats, or same in blue, and any coverage and shade in between. It was pretty. What can I say? Men's jewelry of some utility, at least.

In all truth, the top Spyderco does anything needed, day in and day out, is far more comfortable due to rounded scales and low key texturing, easier to open and close, and the only one forgotten as soon as clipped inside waistband. So, naturally, they are phasing out this style.

Edited by Lofty (04/19/18 01:14 AM)