Originally Posted By: Lofty
I greatly admire the handwork....no reason in the world that more folk cannot make more things with hand tools rather than investing tremendous amounts in shop equipment. I have lost track of all the gun parts made completely by hand using files and papers, likewise knife parts, and knives completely reshaped.

As you well know, when doing it the old way, it gets done right, and nearly impossible to go too fast and remove what should not have been removed, unlike all the folk with the power tools. I still remember my armoring instructor having us file round stock locked in vises, to make tools such as screwdrivers and punches. He would look at each piece with a 10x loupe, and if not dead flat, or perfect curve, he would take a coarse file to it, and tell us to start over. Most things were small, so we could heat to cherry red and oil quench, then draw down to grey, using only an alcohol lamp and blow tube.

Just fantastic work, and my hat is off to you.

When I went to Gunsmithing School, we had to make a set of double set triggers for a '98 Mauser using files and hand tools. We only had to heat treat the springs we made for the triggers though. Hand work is safer than power tools because it's easier to take off material than put it back on.

Those knives look very good with the hand work.

NRA Life Member