Originally Posted By: desert.snake
I wonder how much it costs if cast hilt and butt cap of 925 silver?
As far as I know, the price of 1 gram on the stock exchange about 0.5-1$
Example, #21 reduced hilt + butt plate.
While not going to order in the near future, but are interested in who can do and ~order price.
I would be grateful for your advice smile

I've been around all types of silver and gold "product" over 35 years working as a bench jewelry repairman & diamond setter. An additional 5 years working at a large scrap precious metals firm buying millions of dollars per MONTH of sterling silver and scrap gold items.

With all this experience, I think you'd be disappointed with a sterling silver hilt and pommel. Just too soft in my opinion for any reasonable task a "user" knife is asked to perform.

I can tell you I would pay reasonable money (maybe $150.00) additional to have a STAINLESS STEEL single hilt and pommel, now that I've had an opportunity to see first hand the benefits to be had on a working, or serious fighting knife.

My recent purchase, and post of the "rehab" of the Randall Model 1-7 "Kit" knife, arrived with just those features, .....and I love it! I suspect a double hilt in stainless would stay intact much better than any brass, nickle, and worst of all sterling silver hilts.

A stainless pommel offered the ability to drive wooden or plastic tent stakes, or crack walnuts or chestnuts with abandon. Regarding a proper "attitude adjuster,..... you'll find nothing better!:D

Drop a sterling hilt and pommel knife, and the finger guard WILL readily BEND as well as gouge and dent. A sterling silver pommel will probably not "bend" from a drop on a hard surface, but you'll be surprised at how DEEP the dent and gouges will be.

It won't be too hard to clean it up, (the softness of the metal a definite help here), but you'll have to remove a lot of metal to even it all up. Drop it a few too many times and you;ll need to replace the parts for a decent look.

Nope,...if you can get a custom made stainless steel hilt and pommel,....."Just DO IT!"

cheers,
Joe T

Edited by Joe Tousignant (03/26/15 10:55 PM)