Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202714 - 01/21/23 11:26 PM Re: Should I send these for cleaning to the shop? [Re: flylock]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: flylock
Here's my update. I kept it oiled all week and then cleaned the blade by scraping with another knife. It had some chunks of rust scaling which scraped off pretty easily and then I washed it in the sink with dish detergent, barkeeper's friend, and a pot scrubber. I did not want to use steel wool or scotch bright on this. The pot scrubber had been recommended to me by a gunsmith for cleaning gun blue also with oil. So I'm pretty happy with the way it looks now. I just wanted rid of those lumpy bits of rust that bubble up on the steel on something that's been sitting in moisture for so long. Also I should mention that the edge on this came clean and sharp with very little scraping. I'm not cleaning that thrower at all. It looks good enough the way it is for me.

You don't use a pot scrubber, barkeeper's friend, or another knife to "clean' a blade. . Your gunsmith buddy must mess some stuff up using those materials. Barkeeper's friend is highly abrasive and wiil ruin a blade. Contradictory to what you may think, 0000 steel wool and oil is what you would use. if really bad, which yours is, perhaps 000.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#202723 - 01/22/23 09:15 PM Re: Should I send these for cleaning to the shop? [Re: crutchtip]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
Museum quality ! Terrific !

#202728 - 01/23/23 04:03 PM Re: Should I send these for cleaning to the shop? [Re: Kirko]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
Agree with Joe.

Abrasives should be started with the finest grade first. In this case 0000 steel wool.

Some folks use Kroil or PB Blaster or kerosene as the lubricant on the surface rust.
Pitted rust is permanent, So leave that alone.
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mr_Mod