Miles Swelze Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172196 - 06/20/18 08:23 AM New discoveries and old
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I think it is fascinating what is being discovered in the ground and beneath the oceans these days.

Locally (U.S.A.):
Divers found a broken Gold Pocket watch from the Steamship Pulaski pinpointing exactly the time the boiler exploded. Hands remained fully intact and stopped at 11:05. Reports from shore in 1888 had said people heard an explosion shortly after 11:00 PM.

Also, an old discovery better identified by new testing methods:

Montana's Anzick site:

The remains of a human infant were first discovered at the Anzick site by construction workers in 1968.

Using a technique called Specific Amino Acid Radiocarbon Dating, scientists were able to treat collagen extracted from the human remains and successfully isolate an amino acid called hydroxyproline for testing.

"This amino acid could only have come from the human skeleton and could not be contaminated".

The new tests confirmed the infant remains, antlers and other Clovis artifacts were contemporaneous. Researchers published the results of the dating efforts in the journal PNAS.

"The human remains and Clovis artifacts can now be confidently shown to be the same age and date between 12,725 to 12,900 years ago". "This is right in the middle to the end of the Clovis time period which ranges from 13,000 to 12,700 years ago."

The tests confirm the Anzick site as the only known Clovis burial site.

Exciting times for Archeologists.

Edited by Eric (06/20/18 08:33 AM)

#172209 - 06/20/18 05:33 PM Re: New discoveries and old [Re: Eric]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Eric
thanks for posting this, we have a lot of archeological sites here in the four corners region that are of interest to me and my friends, and they are all after the Clovis period

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

#172212 - 06/20/18 06:22 PM Re: New discoveries and old [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Thank you, Peter, and thanks again for sharing your adventures with the forum, I really enjoy your posts. They have found Clovis spearpoints as far south as Florida. They sure could have used a Randall Jim Thorpe on one of those Mastodon's.

Do you buy into the theory that a comet/meteor exploded somewhere above Canada around 12,900 wiping out the Clovis people?

I think that the Super Volcanoes (Yellowstone being the largest) and bigger comets/meteors entering Earths Atmosphere play etch-a-sketch with the Earth's surface. 4 Billions years of Dodgeball.

#172217 - 06/20/18 07:17 PM Re: New discoveries and old [Re: Eric]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
The Yellowstone caldera is winding up. New ridges under Yellowstone Lake, normally inactive geysers now active, and other abnormal activities, could spell a coming disaster. Where we live in SW Idaho, we are not in the dangerous zones, but it wouldn't be an easy living situation regardless.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#172223 - 06/20/18 08:07 PM Re: New discoveries and old [Re: Eric]
Peter_Kaufman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southeast Utah
Eric
I don't know about that theory, but considering the number of mass extinction events that occurred, it certainly is possible.
A major volcanic eruption could spew enough ash into the atmosphere to cut down the sun enough to cause global cooling and depending on the length and extent could cause some species extinction.

Peter
SAF
RKCC CM-023
RKS #5642
SHAG # 005
Ironwood Nut
Life is too short to have ugly knives

Moderator:  Mr_Mod