Randall Knife Collectors Club dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166569 - 11/23/17 02:35 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: mic214]
needfull things Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Upper New Zealand
Question: does the top edge of the #8 come "sharp" from Factory, or just ready to be sharpened.
I ask because it is illegal to import a Double edged knife to N.Z. and the definition is not as We knife collectors view it i.e. Dagger style.
Customs can "interpret" things differently, as they choose on the day.

#166571 - 11/23/17 04:48 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: needfull things]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
Yes 2 inches of the top of the blade is sharpened.

#166574 - 11/23/17 08:26 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: crutchtip]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Crutch--

You are right about the 99.9%. It is not the general public that is "apprehensive" about exposed knife clips. It is a law on the books that is used as an excuse for the police to make arrests and the courts to pass sentences and levy fines. Knife Rights is challenging this, with some thousands of arrests having been made to date.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#166575 - 11/23/17 08:37 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I gotta be frank here, I didn't realize there were concerns about "knife rights", or anything along those lines. I didn't realize there are apparently more than a few areas in the USA that actually have ownership restrictions. Who woulda thunk anyone in the land of the free and home of the brave, would actually care .

It doesn't surprise me that restrictions are there to generate revenue.

That is what sucks about government. They rarely look at ways to cut costs (changing somewhat with Trump) but only look for sources of new revenue.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#166588 - 11/23/17 11:11 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: crutchtip]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
And their source of revenue is "we the people"
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#166589 - 11/23/17 11:21 AM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: crutchtip]
rigid54 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NC, USA
[quote=crutchtip

“ land of the free and home of the brave”

That’s rich, right there brother. You apparently down-shifted and found yourself back in the “First American Experience” -best double-clutch, pour on the coals and get back to speed -for you are now in the “Transitional Period”. When you’re finally hooking along at full tilt, given a few more miles (and years, God willing) you will arrive in the glorious, long -awaited “Second American Experience”.

God save the Republic ~
25th ID, ‘75-‘78
NRA Life

#166603 - 11/23/17 05:13 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: mic214]
Jon_Peterson Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: mic214
Originally Posted By: Jon_Peterson
Mick,

Which do you think is better, the 26 or the 8-4?

Thanks
Jon

Jon,

That is a tough call. The 26 has a thicker blade profile from the hilt to the tip, but my 8 has a thicker piece of stag for the handle.

I would feel equally at home with either one working on a mule deer. I guess it would come down to what your intended use is and if you need the top edge (Model 8) sharpened or not (Model 26).

So based on the above, if I had to choose only one for EDC, I think I would split the difference and go with the Model 5-4 as I think it is the best of both worlds.

That's what I am thinking. I feel that the sharpened top edge on the 8 is useful for chopping off fish or bird heads and other tasks. I have a 5-5 coming to see how it compares.

#166604 - 11/23/17 06:46 PM Re: Good Randall EDC small Knife? Any suggestions? [Re: Jon_Peterson]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
I agree, can't go wrong with the Model 5, no matter what the blade length. And you can sharpen the top edge if you want. I have one with the top edge sharpened and I like it.

max

Edited by maxpastor (11/23/17 06:47 PM)
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Mr_Mod