This post is due in part to a great thread on another forum involving Westmoreland and Hal Moore of "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young" fame.

It is one of the best threads to come about in quite some time. Get thru the typical bs and allot of cool stuff is there.

Anyway, the subject of the sheath type has come up, and since I am challenged to post photos over there, I will do it here.

It is difficult to determine 100% what the sheath is. Old b&w photos taken from distance blown up usually don't fare well, as in this case. Also, the knife/sheath are not the focal point of the original photos..

the first photo is of a known Heiser compared to Col. Moore's knife/sheath. The second photo is of an HKL. Fourth photo that appears is an early Johnson. Sixth photo is of a known Johnson. Seventh photo is of Col Moore's knife/sheath.

These are my observations using the information at hand using photos, never the best way. I am by no means saying I am 100% correct. I highly recommend you go read the thread.

Attachments
------9lx4t9t5.jpg

------s-l1600-4.jpg

------s-l1600-5.jpg

Description: HKL rear

------s-l1600-10.jpg

Description: Johnson front

------s-l1600-13.jpg

Description: Johnson rear

------a5hi743g.jpg

------rhCU6PP.jpg

------nu5jtuT.jpg