dominionhobby.com Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92144 - 09/03/11 09:56 AM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong * [Re: Dirty_Water]
Keith_Hicks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Greenbrier, AR
Wrist thongs look good, and are obviously functional. But I've never been interested in having one for 2 reasons:

1. It would be difficult to keep clean from blood.

2. It would snag on branches as you walk through thick brush.
RKS Member #4613

#92147 - 09/03/11 10:31 AM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Keith_Hicks]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida

"2. It would snag on branches as you walk through thick brush."

Keith,
No they don't. When sheathed all that is required is to pull the loose wrist thong (from the rear) through the bottom portion of the sheath opening, between your belt and the sheath's belt loop. You can go one step more and pull it through to the front. You'll never lose a Randall knife this way. You can give the wrist thong a quick tug and it's free for you to unsheath the knife.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#92149 - 09/03/11 11:53 AM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
My old #5 and #7 have had no-telling how many times the nylon thongs have been totally blood soaked. When I get back to the kitchen, I just run the cord through hot water a few times and then squeeze in paper towels. Still look good after 30 years of use. Never had an issue with the thong getting caught in the brush; had the keeper snap come un-snapped many times, that's why I prefer a pouch type sheath.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#92156 - 09/03/11 02:49 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Keith_Hicks Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Greenbrier, AR
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback

Keith,
No they don't. When sheathed all that is required is to pull the loose wrist thong (from the rear) through the bottom portion of the sheath opening, between your belt and the sheath's belt loop. You can go one step more and pull it through to the front. You'll never lose a Randall knife this way. You can give the wrist thong a quick tug and it's free for you to unsheath the knife.
Best, Capt. Chris

Yeah, well, I'm just telling my experience with them in the past. I've tried the tuck method you described and it still snagged eventually, although it was much more secure that way.

I've had my nylon boot laces come untied several times after double-knotting them and tucking the loose ends into my boots. When you have briars pulling and ripping at your clothes, there is not much you can do.

Edited by Keith_Hicks (09/03/11 02:54 PM)
RKS Member #4613

#92160 - 09/03/11 05:09 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Keith_Hicks]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA

Nevermind, my reading comprehension is weak today !!!

Edited by Robert Frey (09/03/11 05:11 PM)

NRA Life Member

#92161 - 09/03/11 05:11 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Keith_Hicks]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Originally Posted By: Keith_Hicks
Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback

Keith,
Best, Capt. Chris

Yeah, well, I'm just telling my experience with them in the past. I've tried the tuck method you described and it still snagged eventually, although it was much more secure that way.

I've had my nylon boot laces come untied several times after double-knotting them and tucking the loose ends into my boots. When you have briars pulling and ripping at your clothes, there is not much you can do.

You're not supposed to wear your walking shorts!! Wear a pair of Filson briar proof bird hunting pants or from Stafford's in Thomasville, GA. All kidding aside, nylon boot laces are strong and long lasting but latigo is the best, IMHO, but you have to watch it when they get worn or they will break when you least want them to.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#98233 - 02/05/12 06:15 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: pappy19]
Tom Vaught Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Thought that I would add another bit of Info to Mr Randall's knot.

I was reading an old "Outdoors Book" that had a section on Knots and Knot Tying.

Mr Randall's "Lanyard Knot" is a knot used to join two different sizes of lines together and is called a "Water Knot". Mr Randall, being a Florida Fisherman, would know this knot.

The book says that "the knot is very strong and once tied is very difficult to untie". But Mr Randall apparently saw that he could adapt the knot to allow a very secure method of knife lanyard retention to the wrist and still remove the lanyard when required.

You pull on the "tag" ends and the loop opens up.

"Oldguy" said that the knot was an old fisherman's knot which has a lot of truth. This specific book called the knot a "water Knot"

Tom Vaught

Edited by Tom Vaught (02/05/12 06:17 PM)

#98254 - 02/06/12 08:43 AM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Tom Vaught]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
This thread needs more pics. smile

RKS #4233

#98260 - 02/06/12 11:40 AM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: TAH]
JerryG Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
Thanks Tom! That's exactly what's been missing!!

#149447 - 09/03/16 03:35 PM Re: How to tie (and use) a wrist thong [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Attila Mezzini Offline
Knife Enthusiast

great thread, Captain!! the only thing I didn't understand is.... Where the hell have to point those tag ends???? lol

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod