Randall Made Knife Stanback Knives
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87741 - 04/15/11 03:08 PM "Alamo" bowie
JerryF Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Owosso, Michigan
I have a Case XX 1836 Bowie knife with a brass strip is attached along the spine. Over the years, I have seen quite a few like it but this particular knife has the word "ALAMO" engraved on the blade. There is a card in the display box which reads:

Limited Edition Collector's Issue
"Alamo"
# One of One
by (Case) @ Smith's
Specially Tempered Van-Kro Steel
Hand made in the U.S.A.

Is it possible that it came from the factory like this? Or is it more likely that the engraving was done later?

#87760 - 04/16/11 10:30 AM Re: "Alamo" bowie [Re: JerryF]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Originally Posted By: JerryF
I have a Case XX 1836 Bowie knife with a brass strip is attached along the spine. Over the years, I have seen quite a few like it but this particular knife has the word "ALAMO" engraved on the blade. There is a card in the display box which reads:

Limited Edition Collector's Issue
"Alamo"
# One of One
by (Case) @ Smith's
Specially Tempered Van-Kro Steel
Hand made in the U.S.A.

Is it possible that it came from the factory like this? Or is it more likely that the engraving was done later?

Case had an 1836 bowie for quite awhile that was similar to the one you described.
The initial one had an etching/engraving of a caracature of Davey Crockett!
Its not impossible that Case resurrected the design and modified the etching at a later date as a collectable offering.

Here's a link to what I believe is a closed auction of this knife : http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6118157

Edited by 505Gibbs (04/16/11 11:54 AM)
RKCC# CM-068

#87773 - 04/16/11 08:20 PM Re: "Alamo" bowie [Re: 505Gibbs]
JerryF Offline
Just dropped in

Thanks for your input...and the link. As it turns out, that bowie has a different style of handle and a lot more engraving.

I should probably have mentioned that this knife does have the Davey Crockett image; and it was purchased new around 1982.

Jerry
Owosso, MI

#87789 - 04/17/11 06:47 AM Re: "Alamo" bowie [Re: JerryF]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Jerry - the reference book I was looking at has a copyright of 1976 so my best guess is that the knife precedes that by a bit in terms of Case offering it.
If you click on my name you can get my e-mail address and I'll send you a scan to your e-mail of the pics in the book.
I'm in Livonia, Mi. smile
RKCC# CM-068

#87915 - 04/20/11 09:27 AM Re: "Alamo" bowie [Re: 505Gibbs]
JerryF Offline
Just dropped in

Mike - I clicked on your name but didn't find your email address; so I sent a private message. Perhaps it did not go through. Anyway, here is my email:

jfrezon@chartermi.net