Randall Made Knife Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86138 - 02/22/11 06:43 PM Randall Shop Operations *
hell_on_wheels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
I appologise in advance if this has been covered already or if I have this post in the wrong catagory.
The one thing that keeps surfacing in everything I read on line about Randall Knives is delivery. Which got this old manufacturing engineers brain wondering:

How many knife makers are there at the Randall Shop?

Does each knife maker complete a knife from raw to finished product or is there a little bit of Henry Ford going on with specific process duties. Forge, rough grind, H/T...and so on?

How many knives does each maker produce per day, or week?
Or better yet, how many units does the shop yield/week?

Do they use any modern or automated equipment? I would think in the H/T process, digital thermostats and environment control would be a given. Horizontal mill for slotting the handles and a CNC lathe for banging out #18 handles and caps.

This may be privilaged information, I know in the automotive industry this type of data can be pretty guarded. If it is, I appologize. Im just trying to understand the dynamics of the hobby.
Thanks,

#86141 - 02/22/11 08:03 PM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: hell_on_wheels]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
Mark,

You're inquiry is valid but as you have suggested, much of this information has been covered many times on this and other forums.

I have two suggestions:

1. Play with the search features on this forum as you can probably dig up a lot of threads that will have what you are looking for.

2. If you are really interested in the information you seek for the long term invest in the book:
Randall Made Knives: The History Of The Man And The Blades (Equipment & Techniques) (Hardcover)
by Robert L. Gaddis

Just as recently as 3-4 years ago this book could be purchased for about $65.00. I purchased one new from the Randall Shop about four years ago for around that but obviously things have changed as new copies seem to go for $200+ WOW!

This book would answer most if not all of your questions.
RKS #5553

#86142 - 02/22/11 08:04 PM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: hell_on_wheels]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Sounds like an engineer to me...The #18 tube handles, knurled or not, along with the butt caps are contracted to an outside maching shop. The same goes for the slotted micarta...not done "in house".
The numbers vary hugely depending on what's being done by whom each and every week. I believe 16 craftsmen do the lion's share of the knifemaking.
There are most certainly several among the crew that can make a knife...from start to finish. This is not the practice however. If one man is better, faster, etc. at shaping handles, etc. it only makes sense that he does so. They do alternate (shift, if you will) from time to time. I suppose this cuts down on the boredom and complacency.
Scott can certainly address the "numbers" if he thinks it is appropriate. There are 2 rooms that the majority of the knifemaking occur, once the blades leave the forge. The main room and the fourteen room.
Hope this helps...somewhat.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Jason Randall and Scott Maynard are responsible for final edging, sheath fitting, and packing/shipping...(among "other" things)...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#86143 - 02/22/11 08:05 PM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: tglassco]
Knife Enthusiast

Sorry Tom,
Crossing posts.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Your knife shipped today...You "WILL" be satisfied...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#86144 - 02/22/11 08:17 PM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
No Problem Capt. Chris,

Thanks for the info regarding the Model #23, I think that should be a real looker. I will post some photos in Knife of the Week.

I think you have given Mark a good sample taste of how things work at the shop. I know from experience that for the newcomer, it is all very fascinating.
RKS #5553

#86153 - 02/23/11 08:49 AM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: hell_on_wheels]
knifeguy Offline
Just dropped in

hi you need the book the man and the blades and you will learn things you never knew about randall made knives and most dont know about

#86154 - 02/23/11 09:25 AM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: knifeguy]
hell_on_wheels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
I just looked that book up on Ebay and Amazon. It costs $200-$400 per copy. Ouch!

#86156 - 02/23/11 09:32 AM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: hell_on_wheels]
knifeguy Offline
Just dropped in

well worth the money.... they wont get cheaper any time soon ouchhhhhhhhhh dont last long.........

#86159 - 02/23/11 11:25 AM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: hell_on_wheels]
Jim459 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Here is a copy for $62.09 (35 GBP) at http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/welc...r=&src=awin

Randall Made Knives The History of the Man and the Blades
by Robert L. Gaddis
Hardback

£35.00

This authorized history of Bo Randall and his blades was compiled through meticulous research that included correspondence, original sketches, personal interviews and rare photos - including his never-before-seen first knife. Destined to become the definitive history for collectors, bladesmiths
RKS #5815

#86161 - 02/23/11 12:33 PM Re: Randall Shop Operations [Re: Jim459]
Knife Enthusiast

I just ordered some from them Jim. Email back said expected shipping date was MARCH 23 !! It also said the books may have to come from the printer. The "ONLY" books the printer has are paperback. The Randall shop received...and sent back paperbacks.
Oh well...They have my money, plus additional charges for expedited shipping. We'll see. They also have all my credit card information. We'll see. If I happen to get them,I'll let ya'll know. If not: I'll still let ya' know.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod