Nifeboy.com Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67335 - 09/26/09 09:05 AM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ***** [Re: Stephen RKS 5536]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Perhaps the fact that the belt loop is, indeed, a "loop", verses a slotted keeper. I was always under the impression that "pancake"-styled sheaths, even the old "Diver's" sheaths, were set apart from other Randall sheaths by the slotted belt keeper.
Am I wrong in this assumption?
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#67336 - 09/26/09 10:15 AM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Those grinds aren't really what I would consider "deep choils". Granted, they are a bit deeper than a couple of the other examples, but Bo did make a change in the blade grinds during that time period, and I highly doubt it was uniform and consistent at the onset of the change. Also, different guys will still show variations in individual blade grinds as they try and break ‘old habits’.

The last order of Heiser sheaths was delivered to the shop in 1962. Maurice Johnson obviously used Heisers as an example. I would guess he did his best to copy the sheaths as closely as he could. There weren't a huge amount of sewing machines designed for leather, so out of the pool of manufacturers available, it would not be uncommon for a leather guy to have the same machine as another leather guy. Johnson had two different machines he used and thus you would get some variations in stitching. Generally one did a straight stitch and the other at an angle.

Quote:

Tony / Perry / Rhett: Thanks. My pleasure.

Joe,

I appreciate your thoughts. I'll try to address them all:

Quote:

A couple of things come to mind here Ron. The leather on the unmarked sheath, particulalry the nape on the rear, is a bit different than on the RMK marked sheath, although it is not atypical of Johnson leather. It does not appear to be Heiser leather nor stitiching for that matter.

I've seen a large variation in the look and surface finish of the backs of both Heiser and Johnson sheaths. IMO there is no way you can attribute the back of the unmarked sheath to either provider in particular. The stitching (and all other attributes)of the unmarked sheath and the Heiser marked sheath are so similar that there is no doubt in my mind that the unmarked sheath is a Heiser.

Not so fast my friend! The nape I mentioned was not what I was basing my opinion on. The finished leather appears different, and Heiser leather is different than Johnson leather. You have it in hand so I can't say for sure.

Quote:

Also, the keeper snap location is different than on the Johnson. If you look at Heiser or Johnson brown button sheaths from the period, generally the keeper snap is located in the middle of the sheath as on the example pictured, not to the far side as on the unmarked sheath. The Heiser is odd in that it has the keeper in that same location as the unmarked sheath. I can see that throwing you a curve ball.

Again, I don't think you can attribute the set position of a diagonal keeper strap to either provider. I believe the reason for this is that the shop set the keeper and not the provider. In both Heiser and Johnson sheaths you see the set both in the middle and at the far side. Take a look at the group of sheaths below.

No, you can't base it on the set of the snap, but there was a period where the middle seemed to be the norm. The shop only sets the female portion of the snap on the keeper strap. The male portion is generally set at the sheath makers.

The 5 on the left are Johnsons. 3 with middle sets and 2 with far side sets. The one sheath on the right is a Heiser. It has a middle set which differs from the earlier Heiser marked sheath which is far side set. (If you look closely at the both the unmarked sheath and the earlier Heiser sheath which is far side set, you will see a "pin prick" start of middle set on both!).

What makes you think the Heiser with the metal snaps is earlier than the blonde one in the photo, which by the way is a good example that shows the difference in Heiser leather vs. Johnson leather.

Quote:

One thing that really stands out is the guy that stiched it must have been have way though his bottle of Beam when he made this sheath. This, is reminiscent of Stockman quality, or lack thereof.

Have you ever had a bad day at work, Joe

Not that bad

Quote:

I don't think it is unreasonable to say this could be an early Johnson prototype or 'one off' not unlike Stockman had been doing for some time. Based on the evidence we have seen over the years, I think it stands to reason and the consensus seems to be Maurice Johnson was involved at some level as early as 1960, but definitely by 1961.

As I stated above, I'm convinced that the unmarked sheath is a Heiser. I'm also not convinced that Johnson was involved earlier than 1962. It's more than OK that we have different opinions and that we have these discussions. That's the only way that we're going to get closer to the truth.

The unmarked sheath could be a Heiser. I am not saying it is impossible, but from what I see I don’t know if I would bet the farm on it. One day I will take a look at it. A point to ponder is that when Johnson came on board, he had issues with the brown buttons and thought they were inferior to the baby-dot snaps. Gaddis states that Heiser did not have the machine to set the baby dot snaps and continued to use the brown buttons. It is plausible that Heiser tried to accommodate Bo’s request for a better snap, or at least wanted to see what they had to offer in lieu of the brown button a la Johnson. Could have been samples, and that may explain why some may be unmarked. Heiser may not have known about Bo’s frugality and figured they would never be used. Who knows.

I don’t want to get into a debate about Johnson’s involvement with RMK. All I know is, if he got involved as late as stated, then that means he only used brown buttons for maybe only a few months according to Gaddis’ timeline. According to a source, it took Johnson 7-8 months to get up to full production so it doesn’t really jibe with the number of Johnson brown button sheaths that exist. This is partly based on Gaddis stating that “since late ’62 or early ’63, all Johnson-made Randall sheaths use these snaps” referencing baby-dot snaps. There are just too many examples of sheaths with the RMK logo that pre-date the 1962 timeline that are not Heisers.

Soemthing else we have to consider is there is no known evidence that states Heiser had an RMK stamp. There is no evidence anywhere that Heiser sent RMK unmarked sheaths in bulk. There is evidence however that RMK never stamped sheaths in the shop. Also remember, Johnson moved to Florida around either 1956 or 1958 IIRC. Either way, he was in the area for some time prior to his involvement with RMK. The Orlando area was not much back in those days, so I beleive being small town USA people kinda knew who was who when and where, particularly when Bo had been looking for a local sheathmaker at least since the beginning of Stockman's involvement in 1958-59.

I think the key questions are: When did Bo order the RMK sheath stamp? Who was it sent to and when? Directly to the shop? To Johnson? Heiser? Did he initially order more than one?

If the center sheath in the orignal photo looks like a Heiser, than the #1 sheath Rhett posted a photo of actually looks more like a Johnson, save for the snaps, a later one at that wouldn't you say? No one addressed that. Throws another wrinkle into the mix.

Best,

#67337 - 09/26/09 10:58 AM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: Stephen RKS 5536]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Quote:

And why isnt this 2-5 in a pancake sheath??

In the old Heiser catalogues you could order either a pancake or a standard sheath. It was probably the same for the shop.

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#67338 - 09/26/09 11:05 AM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: 7033grip]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
Good to see you back on the fourm some,crutchtip.Bob
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#67339 - 09/26/09 11:10 AM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: 7033grip]
bart Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: houston texas
I think it's fairly obvious that Showtime also has a Randall sheath stamp, perhaps he made the sheaths in question. Bart RKS#132

#67340 - 09/26/09 05:54 PM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: BoBlade]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Great thread guys.

Rhett
Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

#67341 - 09/27/09 02:39 PM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: Rhett Stidham]
Aggiemike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mesquite, Texas
This would make a good topic at the next blade show.

Mike Webb
RKS 4071

#67342 - 09/27/09 08:07 PM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: BoBlade]
Stephen RKS 5536 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

To me the "johnson look" comes from the angle or distinct turn of the stitching in the model 1 sheath about 2/3 of the way down the back of the sheath (sheath on the left below). The sheaths with the "heiser look" have more of a straight curve...

Edited by Stephen RKS 5536 (09/27/09 08:11 PM)

#67343 - 09/29/09 05:05 PM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: crutchtip]
BoBlade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Joe,

It is good to see you posting again!

Blade grinds:

I think there are some generalized statements that can be made about choils during the decade of 1955-1965: ~ Mid 60's they were the shallowest in Randall history. Early 60's they were fairly deep, elongated and parallel to the plane of the blade. Late 50's they were deeper and shaped like a fish hook. Take a look at the choil on this 4-6 that just came up on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260483168442&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Where would you date that knife based on the blade grind? Also, take a look at the accompanying sheath: If that had a Heiser stamp on it and not a Randall stamp I don't think you'd think twice about accepting it as a Heiser.

Not so fast my friend! The nape I mentioned was not what I was basing my opinion on. The finished leather appears different, and Heiser leather is different than Johnson leather. You have it in hand so I can't say for sure

Sooner or later I'll put both sheaths in your hands.

No, you can't base it on the set of the snap, but there was a period where the middle seemed to be the norm. The shop only sets the female portion of the snap on the keeper strap. The male portion is generally set at the sheath makers.

10-4. Thanks.

What makes you think the Heiser with the metal snaps is earlier than the blonde one in the photo, which by the way is a good example that shows the difference in Heiser leather vs. Johnson leather.

I was referring to my two metal snap sheaths and not the Heiser on the far right with BB's.

Your last comments:

As we discussed on the phone, there is no way to rule out either scenario. I do agree with your key questions and I sure hope some day they get answered.

Best,

#67344 - 10/03/09 01:59 PM Re: "We ran out of WHAT again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [Re: BoBlade]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I would never have a problem accepting a Heiser as a Hesier, particularly when it is a Heiser!! That 4-6 is on the cusp if you will. I will restate that the switch in blade grinds was not an immediate occurrence with some older blades still showing up, and some holdover of older style grinds from guys making the change. This is happening even though we see knives from 1963 with the newer style grind.

What makes this interesting is the sheath has the RMK logo and horizontal at that! This has always been attributed to the earliest of Johnson's sheaths. The first link below is another with what you would call a “Hieser looking’ sheath but with the vertical logo.

The second link is most definitely a Heiser, even if you couldn’t see the back of the sheath. It is obviously different than the 4-6 or the 1-7 “Johnson” sheaths. With those, there is some question, without seeing the back. So, as a rule if it has an RMK logo, to me it is a Johnson until someone can prove otherwise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-7-spacer-Ran...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Randall-Knif...id=p3286.c0.m14

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod