Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60925 - 04/23/09 08:46 AM What "Caliber" of person are you? *
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
O.K. Folks:
Everybody that hunts, target shoots or uses a rifle for personal defense has their "pet" cartridge or pet load. Whatever your choice, I would like to give ya'll a place to "vent".
Similar to the "Knife of the week" thread, we can continually use these topics, again and again. They can be added to and updated from time to time. Seeing as we are still in our infancy over here on this forum, it will be good to look back, over time, and see what was said from the inception of this forum. I believe that we will find these posts quite useful, informative and helpful as a reference source.
So: Let us begin! I'll start out with, not only one of "my" favorite cartridge choices, but a caliber/cartridge that is ever-popular the world over. The 30-06 Springfield!
I would ask Kevin Lough to come in here and set this thread up, similar to the "Knife of the week" thread. We will need a pinned, "drop-down" list that we can click on.
I'm working on it....More to come.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60926 - 04/23/09 12:34 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
.308 lot's of ammo for it easy to make up your own loads. I run it in my Remington 700 and my M1-A1. I also like 06 and 7mm mag.

#60927 - 04/23/09 03:07 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Steven]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:

.308 lot's of ammo for it easy to make up your own loads.

Steven and I are on the same page on this one. If I could have only one center fire rifle it would be .308 Winchester.

Number two and three are .358 Winchester (.308 on steroids) and .45-70 Gov (for the sheer fun of it!).
RKS #4868

#60928 - 04/23/09 04:29 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Capt.

I do not shoot a centrefire much these days, but it is a 30-06 if I do. I have been shooting one for 40 years.

Just had my Remington 700 "upgraded" with a Bell and Carlson stock, action bedded and all the metal parkerized and teflon coated.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” — Nelson Mandela

#60929 - 04/23/09 05:30 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Westhampton, NY
Quote:

Quote:

.308 lot's of ammo for it easy to make up your own loads.

Steven and I are on the same page on this one. If I could have only one center fire rifle it would be .308 Winchester.

Number two and three are .358 Winchester (.308 on steroids) and .45-70 Gov (for the sheer fun of it!).

It seems like I'm good company here. My first rifle handed down from Dad was a Rem 740 in .30-06. I used it for years and it always served me well. I now prefer the .308 in 150 gr. for deer in both my Win Model 70 and my Weatherby Center Fire Pistol. Balistically the 06 and the .308 are nearly the same for all practical purposes. They are both great deer busters, but I prefer the .308 for its shorter cartridge and faster lock times.

Best,
Warren

#60930 - 04/23/09 05:57 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Warren_Polidori]
Burnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: United States
I agree the 30/06 is a great round! The bullet and load combo's for this cal. is overwhelming! I killed my first deer with a post 64 model 70. As far as lock time goes the cal. has no meaning. Lock time is the time it takes the sear to release and set the firing pin in motion. Trigger groups can be changed to shorten lock time.
RKS #5489

#60931 - 04/23/09 06:21 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Warren_Polidori]
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
Oh, believe me, the 308 was going to be discussed, along with dozens of other calibers in times to come. I own a couple of them. One thing, when comparing the "closeness" in 308 and 30-06 that often gets overlooked is the following:
The heaviest factory load for a 308? 180 grain.
The heaviest factory load for a 30-06? 220 grain
The maximum velocity for a 308, 150 grain (factory)? 2820fps
The maximum vel. for a 30-06, 150 grain (factory)? 2920fps

They are certainly close, but hardly the same. At ranges I have to "ambush" whitetails on my lease (500 yds. or so) that extra 100 fps starts to get into the realm of a clean miss verses a kill shot.
I'm not putting the 308 down. I like 'em alot. With handloads they can more than duplicate the 30-06..."BUT" (There comes that word again),with handloads, a 30-06 is a 300 H&H Magnum! It goes on and on. Both are good. My "go-to" is always going to be the '06.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. The medium 308 action is easier to operate, "quickly" from the shoulder. Not "lock time", but "bolt time"...Of course: We don't "really" ever get (nor need) a second shot...or do we?...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60932 - 04/23/09 07:04 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Warren_Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Westhampton, NY
Captain,

You are correct I meant bolt time not lock time. But you know what I meant. I agree with everything you said but I can't remember shooting anything larger than 180 grain. Like I said I have them both, but prefer the .308 now for the versatility in 2 guns.

Best,
Warren

#60933 - 04/23/09 08:19 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: A land downunder
I'm surprised the .270 Winchester hasn't got a mention.
I would have thought it would be perfect for Whitetail deer.
Here in the south east of Australia we have Sambar deer that would average around 600 pounds. We stalk them on foot so most shooting is done off hand, no rest. Because of the dense forest, a long shot would be 300 yds.
Over the years I’ve used a .303 Brit, 270 win, 340 Weatherby, 300 win Mag, 30-06, .308 Win., 7mm Rem Mag and .375 H&H. My current rifle is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .338 Win Mag.

The .270 I bought in 1979 and apart from the new .338 and an old .303 backup it is the only large CF rifle I’ve kept and used continuously for all that time. With 130grn soft point boat tails it is adequate for Sambar to 300yds and beyond. It also makes a fine varmint rifle especially on those days when the high speed.17 -.22’s are blowing away in the wind. Like a 30-06 you can shoot it all day, even off a bench, without getting a head ache or a sore shoulder.

The Weatherby and H&H are too hard to buy factory ammo for, especially if you are hunting in New Zeeland or New Caledonia, and airlines get real nervous about shipping ammo with guns these days.
The 7mm and 300 magnums I find have a lot of muzzle blast, in practical dense bush hunting rifle length barrels of 22 to 24”. In a stalking weight rifle the larger magnums have too much recoil for constant shooting. Maybe not, if you’re built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I’m not.

The .308 Win lacks a bit of power at longer ranges. The 30-06 is about perfect, but like the .308 is restricted in some places due to it military origin and it is not as versatile for varmints as the .270.

If I was restricted to one high powered rifle (a definite possibility in Australia) the .270 Win will do it all for me.

#60934 - 04/23/09 09:30 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ausblade]
Knife Enthusiast

270 Winchester will be covered also, over time...but I have never, I repeat "never" liked it. It's like kissing your sister.
A 270 Win. cannot and will not do anything a 30-06 cannot do, but the opposite most certainly cannot be said. The 270 Win, was originally a "wildcat" created by necking down the (you guessed it) 30-06 Springfield. It is most accurate and in it's element with bullet weights of 130 gr. or so. I can do that with my '06.
Alright: Come on all of you "Ladies gun" shooters. Tell me how wrong I am. Jack O'Connor made the 270 famous, but I'll stick with Dr. Frank Barnes. O.K. My rant is over. I really will bring up the 270 Winchester topic later.
My favorite calibers, having shot a bunch, will be told in due time, and they are numerous. I guarantee one of them is "not" the 270. A lot of folks like them. To each his own. That's why rifle and ammo companies make more than one caliber.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. We still have a few states that require 7mm or larger bullets for deer. A 270 measures .277 inches, not .284 (7 mm)...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60935 - 04/23/09 10:49 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Hey Cap I don't know about kissing your sister but I sure like my Sako 270. I hav killed lots of deer and groundhogs with it. I shoot 130 gr. soft points in it. I also have a 270WSM Tika that shoots very well. Kate likes the 270 Sako herself. She has taken some deer with it also. I have a Panther 308 that I like very much as well. The Panther is extremly accurate, as is the Sako.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#60936 - 04/24/09 01:13 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
My main rifle is a stainless ugly plastic stock ruger in .300 win mag with a Leopold 4X. I shoot 180 grain hornady bullets out of it. It's performance on bears, moose, and deer has been amazing. If I am pushing bush for my boys, I'll pack my Winchester model 55 in 30-30 (it is the takedown version of the model 94).

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKS#5531

#60937 - 04/24/09 01:38 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

It is true that the .270 can be formed by necking down a 30-06 case but the result will be brass that is an I/8" short, but they work OK. When deer hunting, I use necked down Lake City military 30-06 brass so as to save my good commercial brass.
I wasn't aware that the .270 was ever a wildcat; my information was that it was originally introduced as a factory cartridge by Winchester in 1923.

Now Capt Stanaback I have no problem with your choice of the 30-06 it is the second longest owned rifle I've had, and is still in the family. To limit the comparison of the 30-06 and the .270 by only looking at 130 grain bullets, is a bit unfair. I could say the 270 is a great varmint rifle with 100 grn bullets (mine is) and the 30-06 isn't so the 30-06 can't do every thing the .270 can.
It's all a matter of opinion and what works for you and your hunting.

Your thread asks "what caliber of person are you"?
I admit it I'm a wimp I like my .270 Ladies gun and I’ll use it to hunt any animal in Australia including a water buffalo or a bull camel. The .30-06 would be better choice. My .338 would be a wiser choice. But I’d still feel comfortable behind my .270. I’d draw the line at one those North American brown bears though

PS I like little knives also.

Edited by Ausblade (04/24/09 01:59 AM)

#60938 - 04/24/09 10:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ausblade]
Knife Enthusiast

Sidney and Graham,
Wow! What a polite arguement! I'm amazed! This thread was actually meant to be the header for a series of sub-threads with everyone's "pet" calibers listed. I have to get somebody working on that. I don't think I can pass the geek test that allows one to be able to do those type of things...But I'm learning.
I knew some folks would come to the aid and defense of the 270 Winchester...and it's good to see such a civil defense of said caliber. I have 2 hunters on my lease in Alabama who use and insist on using their 270's. O.K.: Whatever!
The 270 Winchester, like a lot of other cartridges is the offspring of the 30-06, including one of my favorite "doe" guns, the 25-06. According to everything I have read about the 270's beginning, the closest thing I can find to the truth is this. Winchester was looking for a long range varmint round that would work best with 90-110 grain bullets. They did not want to copy a Chinese cartridge (sorry: I don't know exactly which one) so, after experimenting with several necked-down cases and loads, they decided upon what is now the 270 Winchester. It is my belief and nothing I have read contradicts this, that many "wild cat" versions of this round had already been experimented with "prior" to it becoming a proprietary cartridge of Winchester. Who knows for sure. Frank Barnes makes a small mention, in his book, of Winchester wanting to avoid confusion with a Chinese variety of this cartridge, but that doesn't mean anything "for sure". Quite possibly the 270 was entirely Winchester's brain child. With all the folks experimenting with ammunition in that day anything is possible.
The write-up, by Dr. Barnes, does state that this cartridge was originally intended for light bullets, used at long range. I never debated that. I have owned a few 270's and never been happy with their long range performance...on "whitetails". They shoot well (not super) at long range, but do not cut it for me on "whitetails". That's where I fall out of love with them. Of course, most folks aren't shooting at the distancec I am on an everyday basis for deer.
The 6,000 acres I hunt on and have been hunting on for 25 years, is totally different than when I started hunting there. It use to be a working farm, with cotton, soy beans, corn, 3 pecan orchards, cattle, hogs, chickens...you know? A farm? All of that is gone now and the entire property is a southern yellow pine tree forrest. Too bad. You used to be able to drive or walk around that property and count 60-100 deer. No more. The deer are still there. You just can't see them. Nothing is open anymore.
"Ambush" lanes and food plots have been put in, in order to hunt. This translates to long shots, even longer than shooting across open fields. I'll go into all of this some other time, but my 30-06's (I shoot 2 of them) work quite well for what I now have to do, in order to produce a nice buck.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60939 - 04/24/09 11:34 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
blazer05 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Birmingham Alabama
My oldest son and I shoot even a different caliber than the ones mentioned - the 280 Remington. My youngest son shoots a 7mm-08.

#60940 - 04/24/09 12:52 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: blazer05]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Both great calibers. My son shot a 7mm-08 from the time I taught him to shoot it at age 13 until now. I bought him a 30-06, but he keeps going back to the Remington Model 788 in 7mm-08.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60941 - 04/24/09 02:19 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

I'm amazed! This thread was actually meant to be the header for a series of sub-threads with everyone's "pet" calibers listed.
Best, Capt. Chris

Cap, a separate thread or discussion about each individual cartridge would be great!
No big deal, just start over after everyone understands the concept ( I didn't ) then delete this thread.

If you like I will start a 358 Win thread. It might be a bit lonely there but I know you have/had one.

Shoot, I'll just do it.

Brilliant concept (like Knife of the Week)!
RKS #4868

#60942 - 04/24/09 09:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ausblade Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Sidney and Graham,
Wow! What a polite arguement!

There should not be any other kind.

You can insult my rifle any time you like.
Just don't try it on my wife, my dog or my friends

#60943 - 04/24/09 11:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ausblade]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I do own a 30-06 Browning Mod.78. It is a single shot. One is all it takes if placed in the right spot. My 270 has accounted for many deer dropped in their tracks, dead before they hit the ground.

#60944 - 04/25/09 10:52 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
Kent_Warnberg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mpls, MN
Friends,

What a Great Thread! I do believe that we will get more difference of opinions here, than we get trying to decide on the "perfect" Randall model!

Having said that, this is a hard one to come with, since I shoot a handful of different calibers.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the .280. For what I hunt at the moment, this caliber will take care of it. I shoot a Berreta Mato, topped with a Bushnell Elite in 3X9- A tack driver. Also have the .280 in Remington 700 BDL. Whacked many deer with that rifle. The only change I made to that rifle was having the barrel glass bed. I mainly use Federal Premium bullets, or Hornady Light mag ammo.

Here are some other calibers that I have and really like the .7MM Rem Mag, 30.06, .300 Savage, 250/3000 Savage and .257 Roberts.

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Life Member NRA

#60945 - 04/25/09 11:25 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Kent_Warnberg]
Burnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: United States
7mm rem mag,7mm/08,257rob,243win and 338win mag. Just a few of the many cal. I have used! The 7mm rem mag is my all time favorite.
RKS #5489

#60946 - 04/26/09 04:34 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Burnie]
RichK Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Co Durham, England, UK
Here are some of the calibres I currently own: 22rf, 204, 6BR,7-08,6.5 x 284 and 300 win mag. Most of these are full custom rigs, a couple with carbon barrels. If I wanted to reach out and touch things I would say it would have to be in 30 cal. But for general hunting, the 7mm and 6.5mm personally I think are the boys. The 6.5 has a huge selection of bullet types and weights, has huge BCs and very good penetration if you look at ballistic gelatin tests. So I will go with a 6.5, even the venerable 6.5 x 55 is still hellish popular

Rich.K

#60947 - 04/26/09 12:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RichK]
sterusmall Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I've never had a problem dropping Florida hogs and deer with my .270 Featherlight. If I were to hunt larger game I would go with 06 or a .300 mag.
RKS #5224
NRA Life Member

#60948 - 04/26/09 02:13 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: sterusmall]
RKS3860 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Calibar is best determined by the game your'e after and the terrain you are hunting . Out west a 30/06 or 270 are very common. Back east a 30/30 is pretty common.I killed most of my elk and deer with an old Belgium made 30/06. I use a .308 Mannlicher model 77 Ruger now, with a 20" bbl. But in and out of the swamps I still go to my Marlin .44 mag with the carrier modified to use Garret Hammerhead cartridges. Again a 20" bbl and no scope, just Lyman peep sights. It kicks a bit but balances like a dream on your shoulder or in your hand. My Guide Gun or .35 Remington are winners but...................smaller/ lighter is better for a 60 year old guy with arthritus.

#60949 - 04/26/09 10:09 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RKS3860]
sterusmall Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Quote:

Calibar is best determined by the game your'e after and the terrain you are hunting . Out west a 30/06 or 270 are very common. Back east a 30/30 is pretty common.I killed most of my elk and deer with an old Belgium made 30/06. I use a .308 Mannlicher model 77 Ruger now, with a 20" bbl. But in and out of the swamps I still go to my Marlin .44 mag with the carrier modified to use Garret Hammerhead cartridges. Again a 20" bbl and no scope, just Lyman peep sights. It kicks a bit but balances like a dream on your shoulder or in your hand. My Guide Gun or .35 Remington are winners but...................smaller/ lighter is better for a 60 year old guy with arthritus.

I have a Marlin 336C in .35 Rem and it's a heck of a good gun.
RKS #5224
NRA Life Member

#60950 - 04/27/09 04:10 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: sterusmall]
RKS3860 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"I have a Marlin 336C in .35 Rem and it's a heck of a good gun."
--------------------
Stephen Mallory
RKS #5224

I agree 100 %!!! I don't why it is not more popular. It kicks like a 30/30 but kills way out of porpotion to the calibar. My freind now deceased, went hog hunting and he used my .35 It dropped the hog like it was struck by lighting, no steps just down and dead. It took 4 shots with my .44 mag..... heart/ 2 lung, and finally a head shot for me to drop mine.

The 35 rem shoots a .357 cal dia and is better than the .357 Maximum that many raved about. Factory loads are great but handloading is fantastic. I like that rifle so much, I gave it to my son. He won't give it back, I asked. :-)

#60951 - 04/27/09 07:00 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RKS3860]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My first T/C Contender was 35 Rem. The head space was too long and it misfired about 25% of the time. Traded it to a gunsmith who said he could fix it.
RKS #4868

#60952 - 04/27/09 08:35 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
RKS3860 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So ..................do you like a 35 Remington?
:-)

#60953 - 04/27/09 10:22 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RKS3860]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

After that little problem I moved on.
Now I shoot 300 Savage and 45-70 when I hunt with Contenders.
RKS #4868

#60954 - 04/27/09 11:39 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Anyone having or wanting a Thompson-Center Encore or Pro-Hunter, should use this web site and not the TC factory. Believe me, this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60955 - 05/03/09 02:25 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
grindo Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, Fla.
Hey Tom
A common problem with the 35 rem contenders, especially with factory ammo. I had one and just neck sized it and had 100% ignition, shot less than an inch at 200 also. Finally sent it to SSK for rechamber to 358JDJ. Like and idiot I traded it off.

#60956 - 05/03/09 06:31 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: grindo]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Dan.

Wish now I had kept the barrel.

Do you still shoot Contenders?
RKS #4868

#60957 - 05/03/09 07:18 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
grindo Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, Fla.
No, I've moved up to the Encore. Encore frame can take more pressure than the Contender but the triggers s@ck compared to the Contender. Want to get a 338 win mag or 375 ruger barrel made up.

#60958 - 05/03/09 08:12 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: grindo]
RKS3860 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Back on topic, "calibars" you shoot. Conten
ders are great guns; but that should be another post?

I like 30/30 for most every thing but big game.

#60959 - 05/03/09 08:44 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RKS3860]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks James.
We do have a Contender thread going but 338 Win Mag or 375 Ruger are calibers.
RKS #4868

#60960 - 05/03/09 10:42 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Knife Enthusiast

Agreed, Tom:
I am as guilty as the next guy on drifting off topic, but that wasn't much of a drift.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60961 - 05/04/09 12:15 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Kent_Warnberg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mpls, MN
Friends,

Sure don't want to get "Drift-less" here!

TTB, I'm Still waiting for that package to arrive on my desk, (the .300 Savage Rig)! Do you think something is wrong with the US Mail??

Kent

#60962 - 05/09/09 09:49 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Kent_Warnberg]
jrj Offline
RKS #5666

Loc: Minneapolis
7mm-08 (Remington 700), caliber of choice. Good fire power and kind on a poor shoulder.

Kent, I'll have to talk with you regarding Twin City ranges and shooting.
Jeff Johnson RKS #5666

#60963 - 05/10/09 05:19 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: jrj]
RKS3860 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Jeff I always wanted a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08, great calibar. If I every stumble across one I'll buy it!

#60964 - 05/10/09 01:09 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: grindo]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

No, I've moved up to the Encore. Encore frame can take more pressure than the Contender but the triggers [Email]s@ck[/Email] compared to the Contender. Want to get a 338 win mag or 375 ruger barrel made up.

When I got my TC-Encore, the trigger sucked also. I sent it to Mike Bellm for a trigger job and the difference is unbelievable. He also did a "hammer" job as when I added the thimb extension, it added too much weight to the hammer and about half the time, it wouldn't hit the firing pin hard enough to fire the cartridge. Certainly not a good thing when taking a shot on a critter. After the workover, I have a 3 lb trigger pull and no more miss-fires due to a weak hammer spring. Again, if you are a TC fan, this fellow is the best.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=69&
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60965 - 05/10/09 07:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

when I added the thimb extension, it added too much weight to the hammer and about half the time, it wouldn't hit the firing pin hard enough to fire the cartridge.

I have hammer extensions on my Contenders with scopes. I did not realize that the extra mass would slow the lock time that much!
Could have been the problem with my Rem. 35!

Good to know! Thanks Mike.

Would like to get the T/C info over to the T/C thread.
RKS #4868

#60966 - 05/10/09 08:22 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Knife Enthusiast

Tom: Would like to get the T/C info over to the T/C thread

I'm not smart enough to know how to move a post. Perhaps Kevin can...Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60967 - 05/10/09 09:33 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

when I added the thimb extension, it added too much weight to the hammer and about half the time, it wouldn't hit the firing pin hard enough to fire the cartridge.

I have hammer extensions on my Contenders with scopes. I did not realize that the extra mass would slow the lock time that much!
Could have been the problem with my Rem. 35!

Good to know! Thanks Mike.

Would like to get the T/C info over to the T/C thread.

I had a heavy steel thumb extension on mine first, then during the Bellm fix, he also had a real nice aluminum one that I also bought. It came with 2 set screws and will not come loose.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60968 - 05/10/09 09:47 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Knife Enthusiast

Mike,
Do us all a favor and re-post this on the T/C thread, PLEASE!
Thanks, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#60969 - 05/10/09 10:19 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I thought I just posted it again, but here it is.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=69&

Warning: This TC site is adictive and can cost you more of your hard earned money. However, be advised that this fellow, Mike Bellm, is the Bo and Gary Randall of the TC world. None better.

Edited by pappy19 (05/10/09 10:26 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#60970 - 05/10/09 10:31 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OK, so I am a dumb arse. I forgot we had a TC thread. So, it's there now and I won't make the same mistake again. Now I remember that we have a TC thread and I told my wife to remind me tomorrow.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#79882 - 08/25/10 01:05 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
smchop Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
I guess I'm the common caliber guy. I dont hunt yet, usually punchin holes in paper. So I'm running .308 win 175's in my rem. 700 in an AICS stock, and 77gr. smk's that I load in my 18" SPR .223 AR. I like to keep them together so I can do some bulk loading and shoot more! Oh and one of my favorite rifles is my .22lr, man its awesome with Wolf match.

#79885 - 08/25/10 07:28 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: smchop]
Knife Enthusiast

All and all, those are 3 great calibers. "NATO" stuff is hard to argue with. The availablity of ammo, along with the fact that the 223 and 308 are quite accurate and great hunting/target rounds, make them 2 of the hallmarks calibers.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#79913 - 08/25/10 07:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Don't let him fool you Capt. This guy has so many guns he doesn't have a clue as to his favorite. But he does have some nice Ruger .22 rifles. He certainly has more than one .308 and .223. I won't even go into his class 2 stuff, I know he has actually sold all of those guns. He has none left mr. ATF.

#79935 - 08/26/10 12:35 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Steven]
smchop Offline
Knife Enthusiast

"He has none left mr. ATF."

It was a tragic boating accident all of them are at the bottom of the lake now, sad day.

#80189 - 09/03/10 09:19 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: smchop]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
I have and do love lots of different rounds in lots of different weapons, BUT, I really do love the .30 cal. The 30-06 Model 700 Rem that I presently (and for years) have absolute confidence in has been dead-on with every gr. round fed to it from 125 gr. Speers and Noslers up to the max. of 240 gr. Sierra HPBT. The only limitation with these different handloads is the game one's after and the shooter's ability. This particular rifle especially loves .165 gr. rounds and for 90% of my shooting is what it shoots.
However a .300 whisper that can shoot with extreme accuracy from either my handgun or my son's rifle and can also be loaded with anything from 240 gr. subsonics to 125 gr fireballs is also fantastic. You just have to open up .221 Fireball brass to accept the .30 cal. bullet (which is longer than the brass).
But to have even more accurate, long range fun---I also love the .309 JDJ. .444 Marlin brass necked down to accept the .30 cal is nothing but fun ,and deadly.
This is probably more information than anyone wants, but I'm not on here often as I'd like and wanted to spit it out while I could.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#80192 - 09/03/10 09:53 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yep, the '06 is about the best all around caliber you could have in your gun safe. I now have a 30-06 barrel for my TC Encore that is as good of a tack driver as my Model 70 and the 165 gr. Nosler Partition is my bullet of choice. I shot a Ruger Model 77 in 7 Mag. for many years and still have it; 61 grains of 4350 and a 165 gr. Nosler Partition would do 3/4" all day long. I recently bought a 22-250 Encore barrel and looking forward to sighting it in one of these days.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#82029 - 10/12/10 12:23 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
RichK Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Co Durham, England, UK
What is one persons dream rifle is another persons garden cane?! grin I have several rifles and calibres more than I need and I hunt 3 times a week.
I agree with the 308 lines but waver slightly and say go for the 7-08. The BC is far superior and a 168 or 180 VLD out of 7-08 will drop most things on this planet if the shooter does his bit

Rich.K

#82065 - 10/13/10 12:50 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: RichK]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
My "calibers" are 9,3x62 for hogs hunting and
20' for "birds".
Both rifles are Benelli.
Guido

#82081 - 10/14/10 09:46 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Knife Enthusiast

9.3X62...I had a combination gun (Ferlach) in 12 ga./9.3X72R. Either one of these 9.3's are bad medicine. The European 9.3 is roughly equilavent to the British 375. If memory serves me correctly my 9.3X74R was close in ballistic performance to a 375 Holland & Holland Magnum with the 375 having about 10-20% more in most categories.
Factory loads are a bit difficult to compare because there are not a great deal of "common" bullet grains to compare. I did find one comparable load: A 270 grain bullet "hand-loaded" for the 9.3X72R runs 2300 FPS and has 3172 Foot Lbs. of energy. The 375 H&H Mag. runs a "factory" load (usually a tad less power than a handload) at 2600 FPS and 4050 Foot Lbs. of energy! That comparison shows a 30% difference. Just sayin'. Guido's round is probably more comparable to the 375 Winchester. Terrific load at medium distance...and doesn't stomp ya' nearly as bad as the H&H.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#82118 - 10/15/10 05:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Apollo11 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

7mm Rem Mag for Big Game, 308 and 7 WSM for long range.

#83626 - 12/10/10 06:42 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Apollo11]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Just when you start to feel sorry for yourself, watch this-

Pap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMz2sCDCA4&feature=related
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#89136 - 06/08/11 01:37 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
I am a 6.5mm (.264" dia.) fan(atic). The custom rifle I built in Gunsmithing School was in 6.5 X 55 Ackley Improved. I hunt deer now with a .260 Remington because the barrel on my custom is a heavy one. I am also an AR15 fan and I am contemplating a 6.5 Grendel AR also.

NRA Life Member

#89139 - 06/08/11 03:08 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Robert Frey]
Knife Enthusiast

The 6.5 X 55 Swedish is one of my very favorite also. Anyone in the family can shoot it...and shoot it well! The photo below shows my Elizabeth with her first Bama whitetail. The 140 grain Winchester silvertip dropped this 120 pound doe on the spot. The measured distance, from the deer back to our shootin' house was right at 120 yds. Although you cannot tell from the 4 layers of clothing, the 5' 7", 120 pound Elizabeth had absolutely no problem with recoil or the overall weight and length of pull from the Steyr "SBS Mountain Carbine". Of course the removable spacer in the buttstock helped considerably...A "Happy Girl"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Elizabeth and Steyr (6.5).JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#89141 - 06/08/11 05:51 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Rick Magee Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I like the 6.5 too. All of them. smile

Two of my favorite maybe-some-day rifles to daydream about are a 256 Newton on a Mauser action and a 6.5x57R Dakota 10.

Come to think of it, a 6.5 Grendel mini-Mauser would be a right handy little rifle for small deer.
RKS #2911

#89147 - 06/08/11 10:03 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Rick Magee]
Knife Enthusiast

Rick:
We have a member of my hunting lease that used the "6.5 Grendel" (CZ) for 2 years. He bloodied up so many whitetails (6...I think) that were not retreived that we (some of the senior members of the club) had to have an intervention. He insisted that we didn't know what we were talking about. Upon "re-explaining" that, if he didn't start using snother rifle, he was going to have find another place to hunt he decided to go with a 300 Win. Mag. Even though the big gun is a bit of overkill, he stopped losing whitetails.
I agree that for "small whitetails" the 6.5 Grendel would be fine. I also believe that, like my 257 Roberts, it should be used within a 200 yard range. Both of these cartridges are awesome in that wheelhouse. We have many shots requiring shots at 250 and more. The 6.5 "Swede" has a bigger fuel tank!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#89160 - 06/08/11 04:52 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Rick Magee Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You're right, the 6.5 Grendel is definitely a short range cartridge for small deer. The Swede is a much better performer, not to mention it's long and storied history which makes it appeal to me even more.

I just think the mini-Mauser and mini-cartridge concept is interesting. I was thinking it might make a decent stalking rifle in thick woods for our small Florida deer.

It's mostly the concept itself that interests me. I like thinking about new ways to get to the same place.

But if I ever really needed a stalking rifle I'd just grab my 30-30! grin

Have a safe trip to Blade and post some dispatches from the front if you get the chance!
RKS #2911

#89172 - 06/08/11 07:39 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Rick Magee]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I think the guy wounding deer with the 6.5 Grendel may have been using the wrong bullets. What bullet was he using in that 6.5 Grendel ammo?

I use Barnes bullets for hunting exclusively, regardless of caliber. Bullet placement is number 1, followed by bullet construction to make effective kills. I would still use a 6.5 Grendel with Barnes bullets (my handloads) if the range were out past 350 yards or so. Here in Wisconsin, shots that far are very rare though.

All of my hunting friends are using the 300 WSM with Barnes bullets, and the size of the exit wounds are twice as big as with my .260 Rem. at similar ranges. My friends have never recovered a Barnes bullet from deer firing their 300 WSM's, even when penetrating the deer length-wise.

I have recovered only 1 bullet using Barnes bullets in my .260 Remington for the past 10 years. That was this past season and it was found under the hide on the rump after penetrating the buck length-wise at about 100 yards. He dropped right there.

NRA Life Member

#89183 - 06/08/11 10:04 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Robert Frey]
Yonder Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL
The one for me which has always worked like Thor's hammer is the 450 Marlin Guide gun. The longest shot I have taken is with this as well, 220 yards with a 2 3/4 power scope.
My best and favorite rifles are the oldest; a Flaig's custom Mauser 30.06 caliber which puts 165 grain Core-lokt's into an inch at 200M, and my Dad's old Marlin 30-30 (circa 1956), 5/8 to 3/4 inch with the Lever evolution ammo. I like to mess with various rifles and cartidges, but the standard ones are what I circle back to.
Oh, can't forget the Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem Mag with BOSS...1.5 inches at 300 yards. This round is quite disagreeable to most everything. I like magnums and big knives whether they are required or not; you can't shoot something too hard, you can shoot it badly though.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love me a 17 HMR, dropped a hog in its tracks with one at 60 yds, little 17 grain placed properly is quite disagreeable too.

Edited by Yonder (06/08/11 10:14 PM)

#89190 - 06/08/11 10:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Yonder]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I had a buddy that swore by his 22-250 for mule deer. I told him he was crazy. I bet him $20 that his 22-250 wouldn't go through a 6" diameter pine tree at 100 yards, that it would explode and not penetrate. I lost, it went right through the tree, no problem. Bullet placement is the real key. Although I did have another hunting buddy that loved his .264 mag, it was a tack driver, but he used it on elk and after losing 3 to neck shots, he went to a 7mm Mag and had better luck. Like was mentioned, the type of bullet does make a difference, but the shot placement is where it's at.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#94714 - 11/02/11 02:12 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
MARSUS5554 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Marsica,Italy
454 casull in revolver , 44AMP in pistol, 45-70 and 450 marlin in lever action,12 in shotgun, 8x68S in bolt action, 7x75R WH in kipplauf. ,450-400 3" in double rifle, 35 rem in Contender-

Edited by MARSUS5554 (11/02/11 02:15 PM)

www.americanknives.it

#97337 - 01/04/12 09:19 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Since the late 1980's I have been hunting with Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. Rolling Blocks,Remington Hepburns, Winchester 1885's. Hunting in deer stands I use a 38-40,44-40. Hunting out west I use a 45-70,45-90,50-110. The longest shoot has been at 200 yards. I use black powder and flat base cast lead bullets. Shoot placement is the key for putting meat on the table. Walt RKS#5924
Walter Horn RKCC#CM-012 RKS#5924

#97342 - 01/04/12 12:14 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
Some would say I'm "Smooth" and some would say I'm a "Bore"

So, my latest 12 gauge smoothbore "toy" under the Christmas Tree fits me to a "T".

Just in time for April turkey season.

Attachments
------2011-12-07_16-37-38_398 copy.jpg

Description: Custom-made English reproduction 12 gauge double, maker unknown.

Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#97346 - 01/05/12 06:35 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Buck Buchanan]
cheepertokeeper Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
For WI whitetails I like the good old 30-30. Rarely is more needed here and the 160gr Hornady FTX , higher BC, significantly flatter trajectory, really gives the old load a new lease on life. Such history, it'll always be a favorite up here.
32.5gr/Reloader15 under the Hornady works nicely in a 94.

#97356 - 01/05/12 05:06 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ironworker
Since the late 1980's I have been hunting with Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. Rolling Blocks,Remington Hepburns, Winchester 1885's. Hunting in deer stands I use a 38-40,44-40. Hunting out west I use a 45-70,45-90,50-110. The longest shoot has been at 200 yards. I use black powder and flat base cast lead bullets. Shoot placement is the key for putting meat on the table. Walt RKS#5924

Pics of those guns would be worth seeing.

NRA Life Member

#101122 - 05/08/12 06:29 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Robert Frey]
Gowds Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ski Country
I like the 30-06 for both Elk and Mule Deer. My rifle shoots 165 grain remington corelokt ammo very nicely so I stick with that for both.
Dave

#101134 - 05/08/12 10:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Gowds]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I used to shoot a 7 mag for many years, but gave it to my grandson and have a TC Encore 30-06 and I have been real happy with it. My wife also shoots an '06 and we also use 165 gr. Nosler for elk, deer and bear. Hard to beat it unless you're after Alaskan Griz.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#106025 - 11/14/12 09:39 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Sutty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas, by God
Honestly, I am a Traditional Bowhunter, so my caliber would be a 30" Arrow with a 200grn Broadhead at the end, My Recurve launches it a 160 FPS.....

However, for Gun Hunting I am a 45/70 Guy..... The reason is it can be, on the low end a 300grn 1100 FPS Deer Rifle, or it can be a 415 Hardcast Lead 2200fps Grizzly killing machine. Also, in a Survival Sit, straight wall cases are easier to reload, just ask the Buffalo Hunters from years past. I know the Trajectory is like a Rainbow, but I'm good to 150-200 with mine and Ghost Ring Sights.

Personal Protection, it's .45 all the way , and my AR.

Edited by Sutty (11/14/12 10:17 AM)

#106028 - 11/14/12 09:55 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sutty]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have a Browning replica 1886 Winchester in 45-70; added a peep and it's good to go. One of my favorites.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#106033 - 11/14/12 11:03 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Raindog Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Coldwater, AL, These United St...
In north Alabama, the deer are small and the shots are short. I use a Ruger 96/44. I have to admit, the caliber that I seem to have the most luck with is the Ford F150.

I also have a Marlin 444c with peep sites that works well. It seem that I see more deer by "jumping them" than I do waiting for them. The Marlin .444 just seems overkill for this area.

Death tugs at my ear and says: "Live, I am coming."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes

#106034 - 11/14/12 11:54 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Raindog]
cheepertokeeper Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: WI
As I pack for Saturday's start of WI whitetail season my choice is the .308. Used 3 to dial in my Tikka, plan on using one more for the big old buck that has eluded me for 5 yrs:) Thanks to Capt. Chris for getting a #18 to me in time for clearing my shooting lanes. Old Win. 94/30-30 packed for back up duty.

#106131 - 11/18/12 08:45 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: cheepertokeeper]
burtont Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have to agree with Roy Weatherby---The .257 Weatherby Magnum is the ultimate North American game caliber.

#106133 - 11/18/12 09:21 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: burtont]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'd have to agree that it would take everything but a Griz. Even then if shot in the throat, a Griz would go down.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#106317 - 11/26/12 08:32 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The .257 Weatherby Magnum - it is an awesome cartridge. I have always wanted one.

But lately, I've been into old School Western Canadian cartridges -the .303 British and the 44-40.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKCC-CMI-010
RKS#5531

#106741 - 12/16/12 11:26 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: alan_grombacher]
roderickr Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Caracas, Venezuela, south Amer...
I am bush pilot in the basin of the Orinoco River and the Amazon state of Venezuela. I usually fly a Cessna 185.
From a young age I accompanied my father to Jaguar hunting (was legal at the time), He show me how to use a rifle combination, especially drillings (shotgun/ rifle of three barrel) at that time (years 60s and 70s) I used a Colt Sauer 12-12/30-06. Now I use a sweet Ferlach 16-16/ 9.3 x74R, is a bit heavier than the Colt Sauer but has removable telescopic sight. The advantage of using combination rifles is that in case of emergency you can hunt anything from doves to water buffalo. Today my friends prefer to use 12 Ga. shotguns or 22 L.R. rifles. I still prefer the 9.3 x74R, because it is very versatile. Today I have an "express" Browning over / under at 9.3 x74R that I enjoy a lot.

#106743 - 12/16/12 12:40 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: roderickr]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Roderick,

Now those are great selections. I've never used a drilling, but do have a Sauer O/U in 16 ga/.243 Win that is nice. But I never get to use it, because my #1 son has claimed it.

Bush pilot that uses drillilngs - what a fantastic combination. Good for you.

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKCC-CMI-010
Canada
RKS#5531

#106750 - 12/16/12 05:35 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: alan_grombacher]
roderickr Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Alan: Thanks.
Yes, in my opinion is definitely a good combination. You will see two photos with the tracks of the Jaguar and the same male jaguar minutes later.
We spent time photographing Jaguars in the wild, which is a rather complicated task. The credit for the photos is my brother Rolf. Merry Christmas. Roderick.

Attachments
------IMG_6696.JPG

------Tigre macho solo 2.jpg

#106754 - 12/16/12 06:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: roderickr]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's a nice...cat !

#106755 - 12/16/12 06:35 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.

Close too !!

Edited by Michael_Mason (12/16/12 06:36 PM)

#106757 - 12/16/12 07:26 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Michael_Mason]
burtont Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow! What a photograph! Gotta love the Randall t-shirt as well!

#106761 - 12/16/12 08:04 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: roderickr]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
WOW! Fantastic!
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#106765 - 12/16/12 09:45 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: TonyLaPetri]
alan_grombacher Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I like the knife with the track, and nice kitty...

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKCC-CMI-010
RKS#5531

#106915 - 12/22/12 08:49 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: alan_grombacher]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Such a beautiful Cat. Nice looking Randall as well. Cool pictures.

#106927 - 12/22/12 10:28 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Steven]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

What was your pulse rate at that moment?? Good Work!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#106943 - 12/23/12 09:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: CrazyCajun]
roderickr Offline
Knife Enthusiast

pulse?= high, maybe 120 But believe it or not there were two jaguars. They were a couple mating.
In few days I show another picture that has my brother. Thank you all for the comments. Merry Christmas. Roderick

#114340 - 10/21/13 03:35 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: roderickr]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

FINALLY..."DUCK COMMANDER" IS HERE...too!!!!

#114347 - 10/21/13 09:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Oh you are in trouble now.Now, if we can get Phil and family to endorse Randall's, then it's really all over.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#120316 - 08/05/14 10:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
maxpastor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: South West
What a great topic: I am Bless to live in New Mexico and raised my family here: We all Hunt, Fish, and Camp. We have big game, small game and good fishing. Back to the topic, Number #1 rifle is my 300 Win Mag. we hand load all our ammo and we use 180 gr for Elk and Bear, 150 gr for Deer and Antelope. Mostly long range 300yds plus. We have Prairie dogs!! finest self erecting targets know to man. 223, 22-250 and 308 (will suck a dog out of his hole at 600yds). Eastern NM has ducks, geese, pheasant, quail (bobs, blues, gambles) prairie chickens, doves. so shotguns are big part of our hunting also. thanks for the great stories
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502

#121708 - 10/08/14 10:10 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: maxpastor]
oldguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Yeehaw Junction
Hands Down a 338 Lapua.

#140391 - 04/18/16 12:35 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: oldguy]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I'm a 30-cal guy at heart, I have .30-'06 and .308 equipment/supplies/ammo/firearm all over the place. FYI, all of the .30-'06 firearms are USGI purchased from the CMP over the past two decades.

I'm itching to get into 25-06, though. I like the thought of zeroing my scope at 200yrds and I'm good for 100-350 without any "come-ups" on the sight picture. Bonus in that I can build a 6lb rifle without that 30-cal kick against the shoulder.

The biggest drawback is the barrel needs to be 24" minimum. Annoying but I can live with that.

#140392 - 04/18/16 12:50 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Windsor, Dave Loomis has a 25.06 varmint rig he was selling at Tulsa. I am sure he will see this.....

#140418 - 04/18/16 06:34 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tunefink]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Originally Posted By: tunefink
Windsor, Dave Loomis has a 25.06 varmint rig he was selling at Tulsa. I am sure he will see this.....

I do see this.
I took a 25-06 in trade a while back and have not had a chance to shoot it yet.
Remington 700 BDL, Monte Carlo Stock with Cheekpiece, Deluxe Wood with Checkering, Black Pistol Grip End Cap and Fore-end Cap, Gloss Finish, Bipod.
It has a Bushnell Trophy 6-18 x 50 Scope. The original owner said he set it up for Coyote hunting.
The ammo is very interesting: 30-06 necked down to 25 caliber.
Molon Labe

#140455 - 04/18/16 10:34 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: BladesNBarrels]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm going Mauser-style extractor on this build. I'll probably start out with a 30-06 and have it re-barreled so that I can also have the barrel threaded for a suppressor (which I already own). A lot of hunting-profile factory 25-06 barrels are pretty thin on the business end.

An 8" suppressor on a 24" barrel, yikes. At least the suppressor I have is one of the lighest ones on the market.

#141280 - 05/03/16 08:09 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
Raindog Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Coldwater, AL, These United St...
For some reason, I am in love with the .375 H&H. I do or have owned Win 70s, Safari Ruger #1s, and Encore barrels in the caliber. Currently, my favorite is a very nice Sauer with custom wood furniture that a person in one of the knife forums traded me. I traded a matching set of RMK model 14 and 15s for it. She's a tack-driver. I have never tried using it to hunt as the deer are pretty small here in this part of Alabama.

Death tugs at my ear and says: "Live, I am coming."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes

#141296 - 05/03/16 08:59 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Raindog]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yeah the deer are small here also!
Wife has a 170ish Great Dane that is bigger than the deer around here!
And if it chews up another pair of my lucchese's I'm gonna tie antlers on his head & send him out next deer season!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#141300 - 05/03/16 09:10 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Only would have taken 1 pair of my Ostrich or Anaconda's to call for an audible!!!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#141321 - 05/04/16 06:28 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Raindog]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Gary,

I too have a .375 H & H but in a Colt Sauer (mid-70's mfgd.); it is one of the most accurate guns I have. You need to go somewhere good to use it now-Alaska or Africa!

Shoot straight.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#144263 - 06/30/16 11:42 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Ill take that Great Dane, I don't own any expensive shoes. My brindle female only weighs 110 but she is only 6 months old. Love Danes had six of them over the last 30 years.

#144332 - 06/30/16 10:28 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Steven]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yeah we are on our 4th Dane, never had a better dog around my kids & grandkids!
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#149741 - 09/12/16 12:29 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: North Pole, Alaska
348 win, I love my model 71's

#149763 - 09/12/16 02:59 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: GHD
348 win, I love my model 71's

The first time I ever saw a 71' I knew I had to have one.

One of Winchester's nicer looking guns in my opinion.

I own two now... a standard and a deluxe.

#151193 - 10/07/16 07:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Michael_Mason]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Me 2, I also have one of each. Great minds think alike !

#151225 - 10/08/16 12:29 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Anything in a Model 1886 is great, specially in 45-70, but the 71 is the ultimate.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#152405 - 11/02/16 08:59 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Tracer Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'm a milsurp guy, and all my earliest rifles were in the venerable .303 British. I've still got two pieces that'll fire it, and even though I've moved on to 7.62x39 and x51 for regular shooting, the old .303 still has a special place in my heart.

For pistols, I'm a .45 or .455 guy.

Edited by Tracer (11/02/16 08:59 AM)
Webley Collector

#163211 - 08/04/17 03:02 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Tracer]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
For upland game in New England,I use my Darne 12 ga SXS and load it with 2 3/4 dram equivalent with 1 oz #7.5 shot for quail and grouse. For pheasant,I use the same load only I switch to #6 shot.

For deer,it is my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington made in the 1950s. The load is a 200 gr lead gas check bullet on top of 27 gr of Re7 for about 1800 fps.

For rabbit and squirrel then it is my Savage/Stevens 22lr/410 O/U.

Top Dog

#163212 - 08/04/17 03:17 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looks like you have a good arsenal for every occasion. But do you have a Randall knife for each situation?

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163213 - 08/04/17 03:58 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Wayne,

Welcome to the forum, I see it's your first post. I just picked up a 35 Rem barrel for my Contender. A friend of mine swears by this caliber in a super 14 barrel. I'm hoping to get a B&L 2x mounted that I've had on another barrel this weekend and head to the range.

#163216 - 08/04/17 06:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Knife Enthusiast

Welcome aboard Wayne. Pleased to see you post. For those of you who do not know this man...well...sorry! Wayne & I are going to co-write an article for a future edition of "KNIFE KNEWS". He's the real-deal, folks.
Glad to have you bud,
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#163221 - 08/05/17 09:04 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!
Many decades ago,I just had to have a Winchester 94 "thuuty-thutty" just like on the TV westerns.
If I was smart,I would have purchased a Marlin 336 Texan in 35 Remingotn. Nothing wrong with the '94 but the Marlin is so much better and easier for take down and maintainance.

I had a 35 Remington bbl for my T/C and was totally satisified with it. 16 inches with shoulder stock. Another bbl I had for the T/C was one in 444 Marlin,16 inch bbl. Trust me,touch that off in the light weight T/C and you really know that the bull did it in the buckwheat.

One of my bucket list trips is to take my lightweight canoe and paddle the Everglades. On my hip will be my Taurus Public Defender in 410/45 LC.

For those of you that don't know me,around me,things tend to "occur".

I am also known as Top Dog

Edited by Wayne Dengler (08/05/17 09:08 AM)
Edit Reason: mistaken spelling

#163222 - 08/05/17 10:16 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I know what you mean Wayne about the 444. Similar experience with my .45-70 barrel. It's like holding a tiger by the tail. That was the primary reason to step it down to 35 Rem. I'm looking forward to shooting it. Good luck here.

#163239 - 08/06/17 09:03 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
If you load your own,then you can load down a bit for the 35 Remington in your T/C for some enjoyable practice rounds.

I have found that the 35 Remington is a grossly underrated round. It is very accurate and capable of being a very good hunting round at about up to 75 yards.

Wayne

#163243 - 08/06/17 09:18 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Think I'm a ways off yet to handloading Wayne but I agree it makes for some better range rounds. I don't have the time right now to start on that project. Maybe after I accumulate some brass. I just completed mounting the scope and boresighting. I should be able to get on paper and get dialed in quickly. I'm starting off with Hornady 200 gr FTX factory rounds and I'll let you know how it shoots. Looks like a nice bullet though.

#163246 - 08/06/17 11:16 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
Thank you for the warm welcome!!!
Many decades ago,I just had to have a Winchester 94 "thuuty-thutty" just like on the TV westerns.
If I was smart,I would have purchased a Marlin 336 Texan in 35 Remingotn. Nothing wrong with the '94 but the Marlin is so much better and easier for take down and maintainance.

I had a 35 Remington bbl for my T/C and was totally satisified with it. 16 inches with shoulder stock. Another bbl I had for the T/C was one in 444 Marlin,16 inch bbl. Trust me,touch that off in the light weight T/C and you really know that the bull did it in the buckwheat.

One of my bucket list trips is to take my lightweight canoe and paddle the Everglades. On my hip will be my Taurus Public Defender in 410/45 LC.

For those of you that don't know me,around me,things tend to "occur".

I am also known as Top Dog

Also much better for scope mounting too.

NRA Life Member

#163247 - 08/06/17 12:05 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Robert Frey]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Love my Marlins.....30-30, 44 Mag, & 35.....all hunted with their own stories for over 45+ years. BUT, also love shooting & hand loading my TCs,, 45-70, 44, 300Whisper, 309JDJ (444 sized for 30 cal.) & others; various muzzle tamers with the right load "ease your pain".....as do the 1hole targets....AND 1 shot downed game. Guess I'm committing to my new Glock 10mm for this fall though as I'm feeling so tickled with the accuracy, added optic, my carry rig, etc. We'll see.
Welcome Wayne!
You any kin to Dieter?
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#163248 - 08/06/17 01:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Living in In. My son and I hunt in woods full of multi flora rose blackberry and raspberry bushes. They are thick with only shooting lanes. The longest shoot I take is 50 yards.I use a 458 Socom,my son uses 50 Baewolf. We use the AR platform,they have excellent stopping power.

#163253 - 08/06/17 02:27 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Those 'ought a' do it......grab hold & not let go. Seems like I just can't help liking to shoot, and would happily try out both of those.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#163258 - 08/06/17 05:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Back from the range. Wow this 35Rem is sweeet shootin'. Had this thing dialed in quickly. Would have stayed longer but the flies were ferocious. I'm looking forward to taking it hunting this fall. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Attachments
------20170806_173136-1024x768.jpg

------20170806_173203-1024x768.jpg

#163261 - 08/06/17 07:25 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Love my TC's, but I have Encore rifles, not pistols. Never had a 35, but did have a 444 Marlin for a while. Killed a black bear with it. An interesting caliber.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163264 - 08/06/17 08:21 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap,

Never had or fired a .444 but always liked the .45-70. It's a handful in the Contender pistol but that Marlin lever with the cowboy loop and octagon barrel is calling me. Love it, someday.....

#163276 - 08/07/17 11:05 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

A couple of friends shoot their Socom and Baewolfs at the range. I must say that when they go off,you really know something had happened!!!!

I am not a real fan of the AR platform being that one was thrust into my hands 53 years ago and it did not work too well.

If you like them,then I agree with you and think that you made the right choice,just that these memories do linger on and I have reservations about that platform.

Wayne

#163278 - 08/07/17 11:20 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Could not agree more my friend; similar experience and have zero need/use for it now.....and less need to discuss/argue their pluses/minusses with others.
Welcome again to this "Quality Forum"!
And, are you kin to Dieter?
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#163313 - 08/08/17 08:10 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke,
Yes,Dieter was my cousin. He's in Arlington National Cemetery now.

With the ARs,if that is what a person likes,then I say that is your best choice and enjoy it.

As for me,I prefer more traditional type firearms.

OK,I am an old fart. So old that I remember when both the movies and air were clean.................

Wayne

#163324 - 08/08/17 11:54 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This year for the first time in Indiana we can use our 45-70,50-70,& 50-110. They are based on the Remington Hepburn. We only shoot with black powder. 458 Socom & 50 Beawolf are the smokeless counter parts

#163329 - 08/08/17 12:53 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ironworker,
If I am not mistaken it was your state as well as Ohio that passed "the straight walled rifle case" rounds to be used for hunting??

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45/70. I only use BP loads in it. The rifle is heavy and the recoil is basically modest. Switch that to a 5 1/2 lbs H&R and things get a bit....interesting.

Wayne

#163333 - 08/08/17 01:04 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

True enough, I have a Browning single shot in 45-70. It is an eye opener with a 500g cast bullet. Then I tried some factory 330g jacked bullets. It was not a happy time .

#163361 - 08/09/17 08:21 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My 500 gr cast bullet load is with 62 grs BP,recoil is not bad at all because of the weight of the Shiloh Sharps.
I have never used jacketed or smokeless powder loads in the Sharps as I feel that the 45/70 was originally a BP cartridge.

I would imaging that the Marlin 45/70 lever action rifles would have a bot of recoil with some of the loads available out there.

Wayne

#163375 - 08/09/17 10:54 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I had a Browning Model 1886 in 45-70 and with the 405 gr. bullet, you definitely felt it.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163380 - 08/09/17 11:43 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy, Ialso have a Brownig 1886. Have you tried reduced someless loads. I am going on a hog hunt and I was considering taking the 1886

#163383 - 08/09/17 12:30 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I used to have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45/70 and the Remington 405 grain load was easy recoiling to me.

NRA Life Member

#163419 - 08/09/17 07:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Robert Frey]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sold my Browning 1886 a few years ago, when I went totally with the TC Encore system. If I was looking for a good hog gun, the Marlin 35 Remington would be up there. The 45-70 Guide gun also looks interesting. My Glock 20 10mm on a dog hunt would be my first choice, with a Diamond D chest holster.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163426 - 08/09/17 08:43 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

All good stuff Pap. FYI for the TC fans, I just created a new TC Thread. Go!

#163444 - 08/10/17 08:46 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
I will have to check out that T/C thread. I presume that you subscribe to One Good Shot magazine ???

Wayne

#163462 - 08/10/17 12:40 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I do not but I'll check it out. Thank you Wayne.

#163755 - 08/20/17 12:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The latest Outdoor Life has a nice article on the 45-70, including the big 3 lever action makers: Winchester 1886, Henry Steel Wildlife, and Marlin 1895 Modern Hunter. While it is The most expensive, by far, the Marlin comes setup with all of my wants. Recoil pad, Peep sight, Cerakoted metal, Picatinny rail, Oversized lever loop, crossbolt safety, 7 1/2 lbs., 17 1/2" barrel, and $2,195.00 purchase price.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (08/20/17 12:22 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163848 - 08/22/17 09:14 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
I will agree with you on that Marlin,but before you put down your hard earned money on it,check it out carefully.

Since Remington took over Marlin a couple of years ago,some things have changed and not for the better.

A month ago I contacted them to take my old Marlin 336/35 Remington in for repair. They first said that the serial number I supplied them did not exist. I double checked and sent it (the number) back to them again and their reply was "we no longer service that gun". A Marlin 336 that is still being made???

So,I have a feeling that things might not be the same with Marlin.

Wayne

#163851 - 08/22/17 09:36 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Agreed. Last week on 60 Minutes, they had an extensive portion of the program dedicated to the faulty Remington triggers. Remington is still not doing a mass recall, but will change it out. Some say even their newer triggers aren't much better.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#163853 - 08/22/17 09:44 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne,

If you believe the repair is in the interest of firearm safety, I would tell the repair center that you're forwarding the matter to the state Attorney General. You might get a different reply.

#163880 - 08/23/17 10:46 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,
I sent the rifle to gunsmith friend whose work has been in The Shooting Sportsman Magazine.
His work is impeccable.

I have found that if you force a company to do something,their work tends to be far less than acceptable.

I can proudly say that I have no Remington firearms and shot the last supply of their ammo I had.

The Marlin 336 that I have was made long before Remington took them over. If memory serves me correctly,I think it was about 1956 when my father bought it (about $60).

Wayne

#163881 - 08/23/17 11:09 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Is it pre-micro groove . My Father's was a christmas gift 1954.his 366 C has Ballard style rifling ( standard groove and lands.)

#163906 - 08/24/17 09:17 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Ironworker,
I don't have it with me now being that it is in the shop but I think that it has the cut/ballard rifling.

It shoots cast and jacketed bullets very well. Ihave heard that cast bullets do not do well with the micro-groove rifling but I could be wrong.

Wayne

#163908 - 08/24/17 09:57 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Ironworker Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My friends micro- groove shoots jacketed bullets no problem,cast not so well. We think the micro - groove deform the cast bullets. A super hard lead bullet might be a different story.

#163947 - 08/25/17 08:25 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Ironworker]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Marlin first developed the micro groove for their 22 rifles and thought it would be a good idea for the other calibers as well.

Maybe it works great for the 22 rifles with their lead bullets but like you have said,not so well for the cast larger calibers.

When I get my 336 back,I will check to see what rifling it has. I am quite sure it is cut rifling as I think Marlin came out with the micro groove stuff in the late 50s.

Wayne

#163957 - 08/25/17 11:23 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm

To your point Wayne. I found this interesting and something I didn't know.

#164623 - 09/15/17 08:46 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The other day,I got the Marlin 336 back from the gunsmith. It has the micro groove rifling.
The next day I had it out to the range with light cast bullet loads,seemed to shoot them OK.

I cleaned it up and put it back in the safe as right now I am busy with the shotgun for the quail trip down south.

Wayne

#169665 - 03/17/18 09:44 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My 2 71's, 1937 deluxe, long tang, bolt peep, and a 1953 short tang, original Redfield peep..

Attachments
------IMG_2470.JPG

------IMG_2481.JPG

#169685 - 03/18/18 10:42 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

GHD,
Those are very nice '71s. What caliber??

Is that a Skinner peep sight on the top one??

Wayne

#169691 - 03/18/18 01:33 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The 71 was only chambered in one cal., 348 winchester, the bolt peep is original to the deluxe rifle right from Winchester, this one made in 1937.

Attachments
------IMG_2473.JPG

Edited by GHD (03/18/18 01:35 PM)

#169706 - 03/18/18 09:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The Model 71 was one of my bucket list Winchester list, but never found one I could afford. Closest was a Browning Model 86 45-70 copy. I put a Williams peep on it and it shot pretty good, but sold it before I ever scored a critter. I was always going to take it moose hunting but never drew here in Idaho. Always thought the 348 was a great all around Alaskan rifle. Have you taken any Alaskan critters with it?

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#169707 - 03/18/18 10:56 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
GHD Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I've hunted with both of them, taken Moose, no lottery here just get a tag and go hunting, also taken black bear, they are classified small game here. The 348 does the job, I just love shooting them, I grew up hunting in the North East when lever guns were popular. I also have a pre 64 model 88 in 308 cal, took a couple of Caribou with a few years back.

#169710 - 03/19/18 09:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GHD]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

GHD,
The 348 is an excellent caliber. Gets the job done w/o all the "magnum bangnum" stuff.

Looking at the older calibers and you can basically say that they were excellent in pretty much every way.

The 45/70 is well over a century old and is still going strong.

Wayne

#169713 - 03/19/18 10:58 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Saw the movie Wind River a few months ago, with Jeremy Renner using several guns, including a Marlin Model 1895SBL .45-70.

Enjoyed the setting and the action, with plenty of winter time outdoor scenery as the background.

I understand the movie is out on DVD now...might have to watch it again.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#169722 - 03/20/18 08:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: LarryWW1246]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry,
One of the things about the movie Wind River is that it shows how lousy the Native Americans have been treated.

Also shows typical gov't handling of a situation by sending an ill prepared Federal Agent out,basically unprepared for the task at hand.

I would give the movie two thumbs up for basically telling it how it is.

Wayne

#169734 - 03/20/18 07:17 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: LarryWW1246]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Saw the movie Wind River a few months ago, with Jeremy Renner using several guns, including a Marlin Model 1895SBL .45-70.

Enjoyed the setting and the action, with plenty of winter time outdoor scenery as the background.

I understand the movie is out on DVD now...might have to watch it again.

Larry

Larry,
No nutin' about the movie but I really like that gun and I'm very fond of the 45-70. Been looking at the new stainless steel Marlins. Octagon barrel and large loop.
Brush buster in areas where I hunt. Always had success with that caliber in a single shot Contender at close range. I think you could take a tree and a deer with a 350 grainer.

#169736 - 03/21/18 12:05 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, the Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 Sure looks like a good short range weapon.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#169774 - 03/22/18 09:02 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Does the new Marin Guide Gun have the cross bolt safety or did they wisely not put one on it???

I think one outfit converts them into a take down model??

Wayne

#169777 - 03/22/18 10:54 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Haven't seen this years model but can say that until now the differences between the 45-70 Guide Gun and my 44 Mag. Marlin bought in '74 were the added weight and fewer rounds. Great guns and love both calibers. My own TC Contender 12", 45-70 has cleanly dropped every whitetail and groundhog it spoke to......but the # of stories, camps, adventures my own .44 holds secret can't be touched. Far from the most expensive, fancy rifle, but well loved, used and caressed. Love this rifle and it's still the first one I grab from the safe for so many things. Hand load all my rounds for everything and really don't know much either caliber won't shoot through.

Attachments
------image.jpeg

Edited by Duke (03/22/18 09:59 PM)
Edit Reason: corrections
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#169819 - 03/24/18 11:21 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt,
OK, you asked for it;
357,30-30,35 Rem,30-06,44 mag,44 spl,32 H&R,38 Spl,32 acp,380 acp,45-70,22lr,22mag,9mm,45acp but no 270 for obvious reasons.

Wayne

#169820 - 03/24/18 12:15 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

O.K. Wayne.....you've confused me (easily & frequently done), but am I to ass-ume your post is a response to Chris' April/'09 lead post on this thread?? Or what? I'd like to comment on your's BUT.....I'm not sure where we're going. I do like how you've started though, so Rock On!
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#169829 - 03/25/18 11:00 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke,
Yep,it was in response to the Capt's lead post.

Started many decades ago since I was 5 years old. I had not purchased ammo with the exception of carry rounds and 22 lr/Mags since 1958 when I started to reload.

Don't worry about not being sure of where you are going,you will know when you get there!!!!!!

Don't worry about being confused,half the fun is trying to figure out what you are confused about!!!!

Wayne

#171536 - 06/04/18 03:26 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Windsor
I'm a 30-cal guy at heart, I have .30-'06 and .308 equipment/supplies/ammo/firearm all over the place. FYI, all of the .30-'06 firearms are USGI purchased from the CMP over the past two decades.

I'm itching to get into 25-06, though. I like the thought of zeroing my scope at 200yrds and I'm good for 100-350 without any "come-ups" on the sight picture. Bonus in that I can build a 6lb rifle without that 30-cal kick against the shoulder.

The biggest drawback is the barrel needs to be 24" minimum. Annoying but I can live with that.

What a couple of years can do...

I'm going to be using 25-06 for southern hunting (hogs, whitetail deer) and 7mm Rem mag for northern hunting (Montana mountains; deer and elk).

Looks like next year I'll be in the market for a Browning/Winchester B78 or M1885, or maybe the Ruger #1.

#171539 - 06/04/18 04:09 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Your 25-06 will work on mule deer and elk, very close to a .257 Weatherby Mag. I shot a 7Mag for 25 years, an early Ruger, and no complaints. 61 grains of 4350 and a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Good for any critter in North America.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (06/04/18 04:09 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171546 - 06/04/18 05:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pappy19
Your 25-06 will work on mule deer and elk, very close to a .257 Weatherby Mag.

I was thinking the same, but I know I'm new to bigger game hunting. I try to not second-guess someone that's more seasoned on the subject, especially when they're the host of my hunting trips. smile

I was talking with my uncle about hunting deer and elk, said I was working up a 25-06 load. He replied, "oh that's not going to be enough."

That was before I could explain that I'm looking at 115gr Nosler BTs, which are a relatively heavy load for .25-06.

Ah well, it's another excuse to expand my horizons.

I shot a 7Mag for 25 years, an early Ruger, and no complaints. 61 grains of 4350 and a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Good for any critter in North America.

Thanks for the recipe!

#171547 - 06/04/18 06:09 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rob,

My .02c,

Pappy is correct 25-06 & .257 WBY similar. WBY gets it going a bit faster. Nosler BT's are very velocity sensitive. Box even lists effective velocity range. They seem to excel at long range and not blow apart. Better choice would be 110 grain Nosler Accubond or the original 117 grain Hornady. Most guns like mine seem to hate 120 Nosler Partition in .257WBY. Have no idea why but the Accubond is a good bullet and group's well. YMMV.

#171550 - 06/04/18 08:05 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I was a hunting guide the fall of 1975 in SW Montana at Lake View Lodge. Just before that in the summer I was a fishing guide. I spent most of my pay on wine, women and song, and the rest I spent foolishly. So, by the time I was a hunting guide, I had a Ruger .243 left. When a dude would screw up a shot, I finished the elk off with a head shot. The last 3 dudes passed up rag horns, 5X5, and I had 1 tag, and shot a spike. They all wanted me to give them some meat since they didn't shoot anything. I was smart in that I didn't mark my tag and made them mark theirs to take the meat. Point eing, most any modern hipowered rifle can kill an elk with a good shot. You don't need a 338mag or 300 Weatherby to drop an elk. In the past 20 years, I've killed more elk with a 12ga slug, than my rifles.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (06/04/18 08:09 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#171569 - 06/05/18 11:39 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Nosler BT's are very velocity sensitive. Box even lists effective velocity range. They seem to excel at long range and not blow apart. Better choice would be 110 grain Nosler Accubond or the original 117 grain Hornady. Most guns like mine seem to hate 120 Nosler Partition in .257WBY. Have no idea why but the Accubond is a good bullet and group's well. YMMV.

Box on the Nosler BT 115s (25115) says "1800-3200fps." While it may be possible to eek out better than 3200fps at the muzzle, we're not going to see that speed downrange.

#171592 - 06/06/18 10:27 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nosler BT's are very velocity sensitive. Box even lists effective velocity range. They seem to excel at long range and not blow apart.

After sleeping on this, I realized that you were probably remembering the first generation of BTs from Nosler (now called "BT Varmint"). Those were notorious for blowing apart if not deployed correctly.

#171629 - 06/06/18 08:51 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Windsor]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No I was recalling some of the community on .257 WBY. At close range the BT's have alot of negative comments. Too hot for the jacket; longer range no issues. The Accubond seems to be a great bullet as is the 117 gr Hornady.

#171764 - 06/10/18 10:28 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Agreed. Last week on 60 Minutes, they had an extensive portion of the program dedicated to the faulty Remington triggers. Remington is still not doing a mass recall, but will change it out. Some say even their newer triggers aren't much better.

Pap

I bought a Winchester model 43 in 32-20 thirty years ago at a local gun show. Why I don't know, I just like the small centerfire cartridges.

When I took it to the range I chambered a round. When the bolt locked up the round fired. I never touched the trigger.

It went to the back of the safe and has never been brought back out.

When I looked for an image of a model 43 to post here (because nobody has ever heard of it) I found one for sell on Gun Broker NIB for sale for $5,695. whistle
RKS #4868

#171775 - 06/11/18 08:05 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

tomthebomb,
Sounds to me that the firing pin in that bolt was "frozen" in the forward position.

Probably if you soaked the bolt in Kroil or Gibbasize,it would loosen up.

I presume that you still have the piece???

Wayne

#172211 - 06/20/18 06:00 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Knife Enthusiast

Tom,
I have owned, shot & hunted with:
* #43 in 22 Hornet
* #43 in 218 Bee
The later, I think, now belongs to Jason Randall. Both were tack drivers!
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#172851 - 07/07/18 11:04 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Steel6 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Groton, Connecticut
Favorite cartridge 30-06
Favorite whitetail deer rifle - Ruger M-77 30-06
Fun rifles - 98 Mauser custom in .257 Roberts and Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Future whitetail deer rifle - Ruger M-77 7x57 Mauser

As more new rifle cartridges get introduced and hyped up by the gun writers, the more I fall back on older classic cartridges.

Dad's favorites - .270 Winchester and .35 Whelen

NRA Life Member
82nd Abn Div Assoc - Life Member

#172852 - 07/07/18 11:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Steel6]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

My favorite caliber, 30-06 for big game. Pronghorn down, 22-250. Fun shooter, 22-250, and it will kill deer and elk too.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#172855 - 07/08/18 11:12 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
My favorites:

White tails: 30.06 150 grain boat tailed spritzer. (I’d have to look up the powder.)

Hogs: 30.06 220 grain core loc Remington factory.

Coyotes: .220 Swift 55 grain FMJ Hornady factory.

But I have to admit, I am beginning to like my .308 more & more for all 3 of the above.

#172858 - 07/08/18 03:24 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: coachblalock]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Originally Posted By: coachblalock
I am beginning to like my .308 more & more

I love my .308 takedown lever action.
RKS #258

#172862 - 07/08/18 05:24 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Holzinger258]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
For real serious work I favor
30.06 and the .308
Both calibers are part of our history!!!!

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#172871 - 07/08/18 08:50 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Billy Poyner]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Billy,

Both super, I have and like the .308. The subordinate 7mm-08, and .243 all built on the parent case are fine cartridges as well.

#172872 - 07/08/18 09:24 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I really like the 7mm-08 and gave a Remington 700 to my son for his 14th birthday. After his Marine Corps he still loves it and hunts with it. I have a TC Encore in it and have taken an elk and a deer with it. A nice compromise of power and low kick.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#172874 - 07/08/18 09:42 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap,

Years ago I bought a Weatherby Center Fire Pistol built on a MK5 light action, SS fluted barrel, laminated stock. Had my choice of .22-.250, .243, or .308. Bad choice on my part, the .308 was way too jumpy. I think the others would have been better choices. Anyway, I can see why it was discontinued.
I did better with my single shot TC pistol in .45-70 and shot my share of deer with it.
To its credit, any deer hit with a. 45-70 was toast. Shot a 6 pt at 15 yds and never saw anything like that before; no movement.

Edited by W Polidori (07/08/18 09:51 PM)

#172880 - 07/09/18 08:43 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I agree with you on the 45/70 regardless of delivery platform.

The cartridge is tried and true and probably more popular now then way back then.
No "magnum bangnum" just excellent ballistics at realistic ranges.

Wayne

#175546 - 10/27/18 07:30 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#175548 - 10/27/18 08:39 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Boy has got serious Balls! Killer product looks like you can still move good in it as well.
RKS #5154

#175557 - 10/28/18 12:08 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

No doubt he tried it like draped over a chair or something before shooting himself. Still, a little crazy for my blood.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#175560 - 10/28/18 02:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
no doubt they will sell more jackets with this "demo" over a gel one.I went to their web site to look around and if I had a need for one would probably buy one.
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#182327 - 08/09/19 01:11 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: BOB_TEATES]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
I side with the 30-06 as my favorite all around round. As has been noted here, it can do just about anything, handle pretty much all the game in NA with good shot placement and heavier loads.

Having said that, my favorite hunting rifle is my dad’s Mannlicher MCA in .270. Partly for sentimental reasons, but also because it just plain does the job, it’s fun to shoot and it’s a serious tack-driver, even with the old scope. At the 100 yd state sight-in range my son and I invariably make one (small) hole with five rounds at the start of every season – sub-sub MOA. The set trigger is something else. Insanely light. My father used this rifle almost exclusively for the last half of his life.

The .270 is a great round. Great for deer. But it can’t do everything the 30-06 can. If I had to pick just one, it would be the 30-06. Plus, it’s got that great history behind it.

Here’s a quick (and not so great) pic of my three favorites for deer. The Mod. 70 and the BAR are in 30-06. The Mannlicher - .270. Both the Winchester and the Browning are sweet shooters and you can’t beat the follow-up, if you need it, on the BAR. The Mannlicher is just a bit easier to maneuver in the woods.

And for reaching far out and touching something? …I went with .300 Win Mag. It’s not as powerful as some of the other options, but I like its accuracy at long range, one of the flatter shooting calibers. I set this one up for LR competitions, but I wouldn’t mind hunting out west with it. (Last pic).

Gary

Attachments
------20190809_120710.jpg

------359.jpg

#182329 - 08/09/19 06:43 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Nice group of rifles. My wife shot an old Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, and when we lived in the south for a while, I had a BAR in 30-06, great rifle. A 30-06 will down any animal in North America. Bullet placement. I decided to go with a Thompson Center Encore system and have a 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 30-06 and 50 cal black powder. Had the trigger set at 2.5 pounds. Takes about 4 minutes to change calibers. One shot, one kill.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (08/09/19 06:46 PM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182331 - 08/09/19 08:22 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Pap.

That sounds like a nice setup. Keeps it simple.

And I couldn't agree more:

Quote:
...Bullet placement... One shot, one kill.

I taught my sons the same. And as corny as it sounds, when I started them in shooting, I used to love to quote that line from The Patriot: "Aim small, miss small." (If you could only give a beginning shooter one piece of advice, you could do worse than that little tidbit).

Thanks, Gary

#182338 - 08/10/19 06:45 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Gary,

That Mannlicher is some gun and what great meaning for you to shoot your Dad's gun.

Agree on the 06 as my favorite go to hunting rifle.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#182339 - 08/10/19 07:56 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Tom... Thought I should take a picture of it before my son steals it!

Ps. Forgot to describe the bottom rifle/pic:

Remington 700 LR - 300Win. Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope. 4AW (3 port Big Bore Brake). Incredible brake - tames the heck out of that 300win and helps put the round where you're aiming.

Thanks, Gary

Edited by escapement (08/10/19 08:00 AM)

#182342 - 08/10/19 08:24 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Escape,

Does the brake increase the muzzle blast back towards you??

Wayne

#182343 - 08/10/19 08:36 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Top Dog,

I got it after watching this guys vids and seeing how well it worked for him (he builds his own):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs3sYk1tuP5Er95EniC-uMw/videos

He's got a shop in Western Australia and fabricates the brakes there. Very well designed.

Amazingly, it's not as loud as I anticipated, tolerable for a big bore, really.

And no, the rear blast isn't bad at all.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Gary

#182344 - 08/10/19 02:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: GCTom41
Gary,

That Mannlicher is some gun

Tom Flynn

There was a day when that rifle was cutting edge....... one of the flattest shooters when it came out.
I used to drool over it, but on a marine's pay just didn't happen. Great piece thanks for sharing.
RKS #5154

#182366 - 08/11/19 07:51 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Escapement,
I am glad that all worked out well.

Wayne

#182527 - 08/17/19 07:25 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Keep meaning to revisit and edit this...

I said "big bore" a few times. Meant to say "magnum."

The brake is three-port .30 cal brake (meant for the more powerful magnums) not a "big bore" brake.

And Ps.
The brake is really well designed and manufactured and I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good muzzle brake for just about any caliber (he makes them in 2, 3 and 4 port).
And more specifically, the rear blast is managed very nicely with my 300 win -- I can shoot round after round and not get blurry-eyed and head-smacked; most of the blast is directed to the sides. And it dissipates so well, it's not a dirt-kicker either. (You would not want to be standing directly to the side when the rifle is fired, but it's tame enough I can bench shoot with someone in the next stall without him/ her wanting to slit my throat after just a few rounds).

Gary

#182539 - 08/18/19 07:35 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

One day at the range,a young man brought his Barrett 50. Talk about muzzle brake blast!!!

Cleared 1-2 benches either side of any stuff on top! Not nice at all.

Don't why he even bothered to shoot that 50 at a 50 yard range. That does not come into it's own until 500 yards and beyond.

Wayne

#182540 - 08/18/19 09:23 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
Don't why he even bothered to shoot that 50 at a 50 yard range. Wayne

He just wanted to let everyone know he owned one...

#182544 - 08/18/19 10:10 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Michael_Mason]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
NRA Whittington Range near the northern border of New Mexico outside of Raton.
1,000 yard range.
Perfect for the 50 Cal.
Molon Labe

#182547 - 08/18/19 10:58 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Michael_Mason]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne, I know just what you mean. We have a gun shop outdoor range not far from us with standing stalls for pistol (7 and 15 yds) and benches for rifles at 50 and 100.

I wouldn't even shoot my 300win there. It's just poor form - (the percussion noise). I only shoot it at the training center range I belong to. I do shoot it at the 100 - 300 yd range while sighting in as well as the 500 - 1000 yd range, but even there, I'm never the only one shooting a high-power magnum.

When I first got the scope mounted, I took it a few times to the empty, or near empty, state 100 yd sight-in range - a real jewel in this county. (But that range is set up real nice - roof, walled bays, openings with overhangs - and side blast is never an issue - just noise).

But it seems regularly, at this gun shop range, someone is shooting a 50cal or a high-power magnum. Even when using the pistol range 20 yds away, I find it so annoying I want to pack up.

Edited by escapement (08/18/19 11:02 AM)

#182550 - 08/18/19 02:48 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

People shoot long guns that they own in pistol ranges because they fear looking like they can't shoot.
This is by no means a .50 cal, but to post up next to other people & shot would be obnoxious.

Attachments
------Scar.jpg

RKS #5154

#182554 - 08/18/19 03:48 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

*Sweet* SCAR Chief. Really nice. My brother has one - fun as heck to shoot.

Gary

#182580 - 08/19/19 07:52 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Escapement,
At our outdoor range,folks that have muzzlebrakes etc are sent down to the far end so not to bother other shooters with the muzzle blast.

It can be quite distracting even though you are required to wear hearing protection.

Wayne

#182583 - 08/19/19 08:34 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Chief!!!
I was thinking about you last weekend when I FINALLY made my SCAR purchase!!! It's my first, however I'd now, like to get the .223 version, as well as the "20"...I can, for only $1,499,00 get a 20" barrel for the 17...anyway this is in reference to the thread about the Orlando Knife show...this is where my money lately, has been going. I truly believe that "universal" background checks are coming...if not now, certainly after Trump is gone....get um while you can....and I am!! We have a great site here, in the area, where normal, regular folks can trade/sell guns without all the paperwork evolved dealing with an FFL. I'm making the best of it, while I can!!
Oh...in sticking with the theme of this thread...I'm a .308 kind of guy.....for a while, anyway!!
:-)Rocky

Attachments
------20190810_122345.jpg

Edited by thevalueman (08/19/19 08:38 AM)
RKCC#25

#182605 - 08/19/19 06:55 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky, I love mine.......just in case you haven't already, better get some extra mags for it. They will try to regulate them as well.
As for a universal background it's one of the reasons I got a concealed carry permit.
What ya thinking on optics or are you staying with the iron?
I got a night-force for my going blind ass.
As for .223 I'm more of a 5.56 guy. Been looking at the Sig Rattler in that instead of the 300 blackout.

Edited by Chief (08/19/19 06:58 PM)
RKS #5154

#182643 - 08/20/19 09:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

To stay "on thread" as a .308 guy....Chief I'm setting this gun up as a hog kill'n machine!! The scope I'm most interested in is the 1X8....Leupold makes one but's just too expensive for me!! Trijicon has one that's more in my price line....might drop down to the 1X6....for the money....anyway that's where it's heading....with a 16' barrel it's not going to be much for extended ranges....the darn QD swivels cost me $80!!! every thing about this gun is expensive...as for Magazines....I had already bought 8-20 rounders as a preemptive move...then the gun came with 14 more....so, I'm pretty well set for magazines....BUT you are dead on, on the magazine comment...that will also be an easy target for them!!! I have, as a result, been buying any high capacity magazines that I have guns for...I have a case full of AR mags...as well as Ruger 30-rounders....any gun of mine that takes higher than 10 rounds....I have many extra magazines for!!!
These are some of the extra magazines...

Attachments
------DSC02242.JPG

RKCC#25

#182659 - 08/20/19 08:27 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Do we have to pick one caliber?

I cycled back through this thread and saw Warren's T/C Contender so here is my favorite Contender.

Attachments
------TC Contender.JPG

Edited by tomthbomb (08/20/19 08:27 PM)
RKS #4868

#182660 - 08/20/19 08:40 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tom,

I love my TC collection but I'll never hold a candle to yours. Those are are awesome classics. I really never got into the JDJ Wildcats. Thanks for sharing those.
45-70
35 REM
22 Hornet

Attachments
------20170925_174513-1024x768.jpg

------20170922_190408-1024x768.jpg

------20180228_031926-1024x768.jpg

Edited by W Polidori (08/20/19 08:56 PM)

#182662 - 08/20/19 09:31 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You guys are awsome. I have no TC pistols, but love my Encore rifles; 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 30-06, and 50 cal black powder.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182663 - 08/20/19 09:34 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Those all are great calibers Pap. The 7MM-08 would be my favorite

#182664 - 08/20/19 09:42 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Edited by Chief (08/20/19 10:56 PM)
RKS #5154

#182665 - 08/20/19 09:55 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Chief]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not amused.

#182666 - 08/20/19 10:44 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren, I think the 7mm-08 is a top drawer caliber. I bought a Remington 788 in 7mm-08 for my son's first rifle. Even after 4 years in the Marine Corps, that's still his go to big game rifle. He has harvested a number of elk and deer. 140 gr. Nosler Partition is a very good bullet.
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182667 - 08/20/19 11:00 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not amused.

Was referring to it being short, Not dissing the TC.
didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
RKS #5154

#182670 - 08/21/19 06:50 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren & Tom,

Great TC's! I only have one in .308

Tom Flynn

Attachments
------TC Pro Hunter 15 inch Bull Barrel .308 Winchester-KT.jpg

------TC Pro Hunter 15 inch Bull Barrel .308 Winchester-1-KT.jpg

------TC Pro Hunter 15 inch Bull Barrel .308 Winchester-2-KT.jpg

RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#182671 - 08/21/19 07:42 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Now that's a hand cannon Tom. Who did the barrel?
I had a Weatherby CFP in .308 built on a MK5 light action. It needed a heavy bull barrel like yours; it was way to jumpy. There were other silly things I didn't like about it as well. It should have been made as a LH bolt action for a RH shooter. It was nice looking but a terrible handling gun. Glad I stuck with the TC in .45-70 which was way easier to shoot.

Attachments
------DSC00043.JPG

------SSK 45-70 A (Large).jpg

#182673 - 08/21/19 08:36 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Sometime back in the late 70s I had the opportunity to fire a T/C Contender in 45/70,I think that the bbl was 6 inch.

One shot was enough!! I touched that off and I knew that the bull pooped in the buckwheat!!

Wayne

#182674 - 08/21/19 10:32 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Warren,

The MGM bull barrel makes a huge difference; I think they are made in Utah.

I like the .45-70 too.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#182677 - 08/21/19 11:39 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you Tom. I will check them out.

#182709 - 08/22/19 08:33 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Do we have to pick one caliber?

I cycled back through this thread and saw Warren's T/C Contender so here is my favorite Contender.

Tom,

Your collection of TC barrels is amazing. Many are a collector's dream. These had to be a PITA to find cases and work up loads with lots of time in between. I'm not sure if I could do that just now. I bought enough 22 Hornet to hold me for now and I enjoy shooting it. Some factory stuff shoots really well.
What's your favorite if not all, LOL.

#182723 - 08/23/19 01:38 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

First began gathering my TCs over 25 years ago. Have enjoyed them in the fields and woods for so many reasons. The hardest decision is always which one to carry. The light weight, incredible accuracy and amazing one shot & down hard capability makes them a pure pleasure to take to the woods. Pictured are:
.300 Whisper Carbine
45-70 ported
44 Mag ported
.309JDJ mag-na-ported 8&1/2"
.300 Whisper 10"

Attachments
image.jpeg (439 downloads)
------image.jpeg

------image.jpeg

Edited by Duke (08/23/19 01:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Trouble with pics.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#182758 - 08/23/19 07:56 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I post my Contender photo I am always surprised nobody asks about the 270 Ren. You know it's not a 270 Rem in a Contender.
RKS #4868

#182759 - 08/23/19 07:58 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke,

I always wanted a 300 Whisper with a suppressor. I think that was the reason for developing the round.
RKS #4868

#182764 - 08/23/19 09:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Something like this Tom.

Attachments
------logo_ffffffff-1024x1024.jpg

#182766 - 08/23/19 11:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: W Polidori]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Lol, for sure.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#182771 - 08/24/19 11:08 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

ttb,
It was!! AND if Jones hadn't been such a jerk, there wouldn't have been a 300 blackout...all his stuff is "trademarked", and he refused to allow the name to be used....so, we have the blackout...almost the same, but enough to keep from getting sued, I suppose
I have "AR"...I hate to call them AR's....like I'm going to assault somebody with one....I choose to call them DR's defensive rifle...anyway...in 300 whisper, and I have not pulled the trigger(no pun) on a suppressor....just don't want to advance my foot print into the world any more then is necessary...BUT I sure would like to have one!!

RKCC#25

#182775 - 08/24/19 12:22 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Not to get all pedantic, but AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle.

The mainstream news media would like us to think it stands for assault rifle, but it does not.

Gary

#182776 - 08/24/19 12:38 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

For example, there is just one "AR" type rifle, technically speaking, in this picture.

The rest are simply semi-auto rifles. "Modern Sporting Rifles" if you prefer. And one is a pistol.

I'm not sure what an "assault rifle" is, really. Unless it's supposedly select-fire, capable of firing full-auto.

But don't get me wrong, Rocky, I know what you mean...

Gary

Edited by escapement (08/25/19 12:25 PM)

#182777 - 08/24/19 01:23 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Some years before he moved to Montana, I was talking to Ken Hackathorn about his traveling to do gun instruction.

He told me how on one trip when he arrived at the airport with his guns, and TSA was inspecting them, one agent raised objection to the guns, but another agent said "No, he has them cased and they are OK to go." At which point the first lady agent said, "Yes, but they are black!"

Any gun could be called an "assault" weapon since they could be used to assault, and being so labeled could perhaps be made to fall within a "prohibited" category.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#182779 - 08/24/19 01:29 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

JESUS.....
do you think that's what the "public" thinks...
forgot about the microscope applied here so often

RKCC#25

#182780 - 08/24/19 01:40 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
escapement Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: thevalueman

do you think that's what the "public" thinks...
forgot about the microscope applied here so often

I don't think the public thinks enough about it, actually; it's mostly "emotions."

I really didn't mean to be critical. Just thought it warranted saying.

All the best, Gary

#182783 - 08/24/19 03:30 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: escapement]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Gary,
You're right, and it's on me for straying off topic...I opened up the dialog to comment.

RKCC#25

#183334 - 09/11/19 09:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

TTB!!
I went "optic"...Atibal...it's a "cheap china scope"...well...not...maybe some will say yes...anyway it's what, after the gun, I could afford...1X10 35MM tube...it's a wonderful optic...not the best...BUT the best that I can afford right now!!

Attachments
------20190911_154313.jpg

RKCC#25

#189370 - 08/05/20 08:21 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Appears I have way of killing threads....anyway the the thread topic....I recently became a .284 caliber person....got this built up by a local fellow who used to be in business with my dad....
as I said....284 solid bottom Remington 700 action...barrel maker escapes me right now....AND an Neil Jones trigger...the last Neil Jones trigger my dad had.....had it at the range a couple times...too early to have a load, BUT working on it....just got in some 184 grn Berger bullets to try....have shot the ATip which did pretty good...used 8208....going try Varget.....any "pet loads" out there???
Thanks

Attachments
------0020200618_161510.jpg

RKCC#25

#189386 - 08/06/20 04:56 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
DeltaMike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
If I had to pick just one maybe the .308. I tend to gravitate towards the older standards and U.S. military rounds. 30-30, 9 para, .45 ACP, 5.56, 7,62x51 and I have a Browning A-Bolt II in 7mm Rem Mag for the really reachin out stuff. Have yet to go past 300 with it yet but I will one day. Other calibers also but those are my go too’s.

#189410 - 08/06/20 11:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: DeltaMike]
Sharpi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Remington 700 BDL with Leupold Scope .308
Sharpi

#189426 - 08/07/20 02:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sharpi]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Browning BLR with Leupold Scope .308
RKS #258

#189427 - 08/07/20 04:24 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Holzinger258]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Winchester Model 94 32 Special with Lyman peep.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#189432 - 08/08/20 08:05 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sharpi]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

There’s several possibilities in my arsenal that I love to shoot, all zeroed and ready to roll, but I always feel most confident with the Rem. 700 BDL with the Leupold 3x9 in 30-06. It just does not miss what I’m hunting. And, as I hand load everything, I’m certain that’s with such a wide range of bullet weights I’m able to choose from 125gr-220gr without hesitation depending on whatever variables.
To encourage my son to learn my belief that you only need one shot I provided him a TC Contender carbine in 300 Whisper for his first high powered rifle. The low/no recoil using those same 125-220gr bullets allowed him to shoot lots of range rounds to increase his own confidence.
To date he has fired 4 times at game resulting in two nice whitetail bucks and two wild turkey head shots.....all brought home. What an easily loaded, incredible round.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#189437 - 08/08/20 01:07 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
Knife Enthusiast

This photo is on my website, I believe. If not, most certainly on my business card. "Hill Country" custom bolt-action rifle, to include:
* Remington #700 long action
* McMillan M-40 A-1 stock
* Devcon-Titanium bedding
* Lilja natch-grade barrel (stainless)
* Oxide-finish and matte blued metal process
* Timney Trigger
* Conetrol mounts & rings
* Fuginon 3.5-10 x 50mm riflescope (with BDC)
* Caliber? 30-06 Springfield...OF COURSE!
BTW: 11 pint whitetail scored 146 (ish)
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Copy of 11 pt. & 30-06  Pt. #2.jpg

------Copy of 11 pt. & Hill Country 30-06.jpg

------Hill Country 30-06(A).JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (08/08/20 01:13 PM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#189448 - 08/09/20 09:34 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt,
Nice white tailed buck. Looks to be about 175 lbs???

A few years ago,a bow hunter harvested a 305 white tailled buck just ix miles from my home at a state forest.

Haul that out of the woods and it is uphill.....both ways!!!

Wayne

#189468 - 08/09/20 09:17 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here lately I have been .45 ACP & 308 loading. none in the stores here
RKS #5154

#189474 - 08/10/20 07:41 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Cap,

Great gun and buck (big brow tines)!

Love the 06'; deer hunting go to caliber for me.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#189476 - 08/10/20 04:12 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I grew up reading things by Jack O'Conner about hunting so I went with the 270. Still a great shooter. I had a Sako that was a tack diver, I gave that to one of my grandsons who has become a avid hunter. He doesn't take it out much he says it is to nice to be out in the weather. He doesn't know what I put it through in 50 seasons. I also like the 308 and have it in a LR.

#189528 - 08/14/20 12:18 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt:

I have admired that picture since the first time I saw it.

I love the 30.06 and have shot mine since 1970.

But I got a Seekins SP10 in .308 a couple years ago and I sure like shooting it.

It is super accurate and a lot easier on my shoulder!

Coach

PS I have a Leopold VariX III 3.5 x 10 with 50mm on both.

Edited by coachblalock (08/14/20 12:22 AM)

#189541 - 08/14/20 04:24 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: coachblalock]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Waited long as I could to put a pic. of this little fellow brought down with my hand loaded 30-06, 150 gr Nosler BT launched from my Rem. 700. Excited even this young fellow

Attachments
------14EDD65A-6020-48C3-A7B6-DF68A3804871.jpeg

------005CBB42-D8D6-48AE-9A23-B5C8BEA5ECB4.jpeg

Edited by Duke (08/14/20 04:27 PM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#189542 - 08/14/20 06:56 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

That's a dandy buck Duke. I've taken some nice mule deer bucks over the years, but only juvie white tail bucks that are around my place. That buck is a classic.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#189550 - 08/15/20 02:32 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Good 'un Duke !

#189552 - 08/15/20 06:15 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: coachblalock]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke that is a nice buck I don't care where you are.

#189584 - 08/17/20 06:19 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Congrats Duke! Good eating there.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#189667 - 08/22/20 01:10 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks fella’s! Was 4-5 years ago. pretty certain his genetics continue into this fall as there’s one big body buck with very similar antler characteristics that I’m watching. I’ve seen that same pattern in 2-3 bucks each year since.
Looks like a very healthy big rack fall with the “boys” I’m watching.....3-5 still running together, in velvet, sparing with each other BUT, only playing & not trying to draw blood......yet!
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#189673 - 08/22/20 03:08 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Duke]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke it won't be long before they are going for blood! Good times coming.

#189688 - 08/23/20 12:13 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Sidney_Redford]
@pitmaster.brian Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I noticed the first post was made in 2009, but I will play along. I keep a small rife assortment of hunting rifles for all sizes of critters:
.375H&H, shooting 300g
.7mm Rem. Mag shooting 150g
.243 shooting 75g

I also have Dad's .44 mag, Ruger .44 Carbine with an International stock. That was Ruger's term for a Mannlicher style Stock. Ive never seen another like it, other than pictures.

There are also a few AR platforms to fill in as needed, but we don't hunt with them.

Edited by @pitmaster.brian (08/23/20 07:52 PM)

#189695 - 08/24/20 10:23 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: @pitmaster.brian]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pitmaster,
That Ruger 44 carbine sounds interesting.
When Ruger first came out with the carbine (I think they named it the Deerswlayer but later had to change it) it was pretty much a success.

They later came out with the International stocked version but later on,sales dwindled and Ruger dopped it from the line up.

Typical (and wisely) of Ruger,if a product does not sell,they don't keep on making it. Bad business.

Do you handload for it or only use factory loads??

Wayne

#189699 - 08/24/20 12:44 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

You described everything accurately, to the best of my knowledge, Wayne. Traveling across the state on business about 30 years ago, always back roads and not on the interstate, to enhance my life and decrease my stress, I happened upon a “Mom & Pop’s Guns” going outta’ business Sale. Was happily able to purchase 2 of those Ruger .44 Deerslayers & 1 Ruana skinner. Another time I’ve been glad that I’ve been fortunate enough to carry my “mad money” for just such an “emergency”
These carbines, the Marlin lever action, Ruger 6 gun and S&W #629 have all happily shot only my hand loads. Same loads, always, without failure or difficulty; whether 240 or 300gr. It’s always been my plan and part of the beauty of this caliber, to hit the woods, trail, camp, and just grab the rifle and handgun that does it all with one load.
No worries.
Still does.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#189700 - 08/24/20 01:06 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
DeltaMike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
My friends dad had a Ruger DeerStalker back in the 70’s when I was a teen and he let me shoot it, it was the first pistol carbine I fired and I fell in love with the compact, hard hitting model. Never got around to adding one to my safe but one day I’d like to

#189701 - 08/24/20 02:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: DeltaMike]
@pitmaster.brian Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne i do hand load for the .44 revolvers but have not for Dad's rifle. It does not get shot much, but it may make an appearance this deer season. Michigan changed the allowed guns in my part of the state. As a straight wall pistol caliber rifle it is now legal. My .44 handgun load is a Hard Cast Oregon Trails RNFP @ 1200fps. Cant shoot cast from the carbine though.

#189703 - 08/24/20 06:41 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: @pitmaster.brian]
@pitmaster.brian Offline
Knife Enthusiast

First atempt at posting a picture, this is Dad's Ruger .44, I believe it is 1966.

Attachments
------IMG_3827.JPG

------IMG_3828.JPG

#189708 - 08/25/20 10:49 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: @pitmaster.brian]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Brian,
When the 44 Deerslayer (later Deerstalker) came out,Dean Grenell of Gunsport Magazine (no longer in business) did a nice article about loads for it.

He did comment that lead bullets tended to clog up the gas port mechanism and suggested jacket bullets.

Back then,jacketed bullets were not really that common.

I often wondered why that later on,sales of the 44 Ruger carbine did not do well.

Wayne

#189715 - 08/25/20 12:48 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Top dog
I would love to have one. My grandfather had one for a while but traded it for a marlin lever action. I have the lever action, but sure would rather have the ruger.
Walker

#189716 - 08/25/20 12:54 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When I was in college at Louisiana Tech in north Louisiana, I was a member of a deer hunting club. Back in those days, mid 1960's, many of the members had hounds that ran the deer to "standers" that were placed at roads or pipeline rights of way, and when the deer crossed the opening, you had about 2 seconds to get off a shot. I know of 3 members that had the Ruger Deerslayer 44 mag semi automatic, and was a very handy outfit.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#189717 - 08/25/20 01:19 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Funny thing about the Deerslayer/Stalker is that Ruger first came out with a 44 carbine,then about 4 years later came out with the scaled down version called the 10/22. Usually it is the smaller gun introduced first.

The designer of the 10/22,Doug McClellahan,left Ruger in '64 to start up his own company......Charter Arms.

Bill Ruger first designed the Deerslayer in 38/40 caliber. Destruction tests consisted of loading cases with very fast powder (bullseye) up to the brim and touching it off.

The gun handled all loads with ease. From what I understand,the 44 magnum was later selected because of cartridge availability and more guns being made in that caliber in comparison to the 38/40 but I could be wrong on that

Years agoi,I had opportunities to buy one on occassion but the $108. was too much of a price for me at that time. If I only knew!!!

Wayne

#190937 - 11/24/20 06:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's my Winchester Model 94, made in 1952, in 32 Special,period Lyman peep sight, uncommon, and my Model 19-5, pickled, with custom Gutcher sheath.

Pap

Attachments
------PapsMod94-32Spcl-Randall 19-5.jpg

Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#190990 - 11/30/20 07:48 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap,

Great set-up; looks awesome.

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#190991 - 11/30/20 09:27 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap,
Super nice set up.

A few years ago,Hornady brought new life to the 32 Special (32 WCF) cartridge with the leverlution line of cartridges.

The 32 Special,in my opinion is one of the few most under appreciated cartridges.

Wayne

#190992 - 11/30/20 09:59 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wayne
I bought some of those soft pointed bullets, but haven't shot it yet.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#191000 - 11/30/20 09:40 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

today...I'm a .223/5.56 kinda guy!!!
picked up another one for the locker today....get um while you can!!!

Attachments
------M4 Carbine.jpg

RKCC#25

#191003 - 12/01/20 08:20 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

probably not the spot for this...BUT...I doubt the question will last long....so, when putting the new gun up, I noticed that I have 2 labeled .223, and 2 labeled 5.56....all "LE"...outside the obvious "furniture" differences...why the difference in caliber indications on the label....all barrels are stamped 5.56 NATO with a 7 twist....
thanks

Attachments
------DSC02306.JPG

Edited by thevalueman (12/01/20 08:27 AM)
RKCC#25

#191007 - 12/01/20 12:44 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pappy,
I bet the '94 will do just fine with that ammo.

Let us know how the range session works.

I just brought out my Ruger New Model BearCat that I purchased about ten years ago.

The latest issue of GUNS Magazine has a nice article about the BearCats and it rekindled my interest.

Also made mention about smokejumpers using them.

Now,how did I know that??

Wayne

#191008 - 12/01/20 01:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

probably not the spot for this...BUT...I doubt the question will last long....so, when putting the new gun up, I noticed that I have 2 labeled .223, and 2 labeled 5.56....all "LE"...outside the obvious "furniture" differences...why the difference in caliber indications on the label....all barrels are stamped 5.56 NATO with a 7 twist....
thanks

Rocky
5.56 are a bit longer case. I think it is .100 or so. 5.56 is loaded a bit hotter, due to the longer case ie) a bit more powder.
Shooting a .223 in a 5.56 shouldn’t be a problem, but the other way around, you might have pressure problems. At least you will have higher pressure shooting a 5.56 in a .223
The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” — Nelson Mandela

#191009 - 12/01/20 02:02 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: rodbrown]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rod,
thanks...I got that....I'm interested why the labels on the box are different, while the guns inside the box, with the exception of "furniture" appear to be the same, and all marked 5.56 NATO...once again, while some of the labels on the box read .223
RKCC#25

#191010 - 12/01/20 05:46 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
rodbrown Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky
I understand now. Would it be worth a phone call to the manufacturer?
Rod

#191012 - 12/01/20 06:01 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
5.56 interprets to "any of the ammo" so no need to stamp 223 Rem. I would venture to say all chambers are 5.56 compatable. Perhaps labeled boxes with 5.56mm have military hardware???
Just a guess,
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#191016 - 12/01/20 08:05 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Capt....that's my guess as well
Thanks
RKCC#25

#191017 - 12/01/20 08:07 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: rodbrown]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rod...calling Colt might be like calling the secretary of state, here in Ga to discuses the election....
RKCC#25

#191026 - 12/02/20 11:08 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
Rocky
Check the lowers.Some will be stamped Colt Mfg others will be
marked Colt Defense.Don't remember the year Colt changed that.

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#191035 - 12/03/20 03:03 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: rodbrown]
505Gibbs Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Suburban Deeeetroit
Originally Posted By: rodbrown
thanks

Rocky
5.56 are a bit longer case. I think it is .100 or so. 5.56 is loaded a bit hotter, due to the longer case ie) a bit more powder.
Shooting a .223 in a 5.56 shouldn’t be a problem, but the other way around, you might have pressure problems. At least you will have higher pressure shooting a 5.56 in a .223

The 223 have a shorter leade than a 5.56 which is another reason NOT to shoot the higher pressure 5.56 in a 223 chamber!
RKCC# CM-068

#191036 - 12/03/20 03:36 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: 505Gibbs]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I understand the Capt.....it's not easy

RKCC#25

#191039 - 12/03/20 04:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Billy Poyner]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Edited by thevalueman (12/05/20 07:44 AM)
RKCC#25

#194547 - 06/17/21 09:21 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have a few primers for a caliber that I no longer load and want to send them to a friend that can use them. Does anyone know if there are restrictions for sending them USPS, UPS, or FEDEX?
RKS #4868

#194552 - 06/18/21 08:07 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tom,
No restrictions on sending primers via UPS or FedEx,not too sure about the USPS.

Wayne

#194556 - 06/18/21 09:28 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

USPS does not allow any kind of potential explosives and the includes primers.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#194565 - 06/18/21 10:26 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks. Are there any disclosures involved when sending the package?
RKS #4868

#194566 - 06/19/21 12:30 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Both UPS and FedEx ask what is in the package and some will want to see the items. Ammo is totally different and a normal citizen can not ship ammo. I have a guide friend in Alaska that was low on '06 ammo and I couldn't send him any.

Pap

Edited by pappy19 (06/19/21 12:30 AM)
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
mikenlu99@aol.com

#194568 - 06/19/21 08:37 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: pappy19]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

If they ask what is in the package,you can say "components" and basically be within the law.

USP will charge an additional $25. for hazardous material which includes primers.

Wayne

#194569 - 06/19/21 07:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks. I will have to re-think this.
RKS #4868

#194585 - 06/22/21 08:10 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: tomthbomb]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

For me, the .30-06 is my favorite. Mine is a Remington 700 LSS with a laminated stock and a left handed bolt:

The last deer I got was with a Remington 788 in .243 during a cull hunt at a friend's ranch in Texas:

I've done some hog hunting in Texas and for that, I used my Marlin .45-70:

Edited by mic214 (06/22/21 08:11 AM)

#194587 - 06/22/21 08:28 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: mic214]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Mic,

You've got great toys!

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#194599 - 06/23/21 07:11 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: GCTom41]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

love those 788's!!

RKCC#25

#194601 - 06/23/21 10:11 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Knife Enthusiast

Mic,
Is that a "long eye relief" scope on your 45-70?
Nice rig,
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#194602 - 06/23/21 10:54 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
mic214 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Mic,
Is that a "long eye relief" scope on your 45-70?
Nice rig,
Capt. Chris

Yep, it sure is Capt…..!

It’s a 2x7 Vortex LER scope, mounted on an XS “Lever rail” with a set of Ghost ring back up iron sights. It makes a great brush gun.

#194604 - 06/23/21 08:06 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: mic214]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I like that 45-70.

I bet it makes a heck of a hog gun!

#200027 - 07/31/22 05:41 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: coachblalock]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

WAKE UP!!!
thought it's about time to be a 300 PRC man today
I got this last year....a while ago, I believe....meanwhile no brass....no ammo....nothing....so, I sat on it for a while....scored some Lapua brass FINALLY!! got all my dies FINALLY....still cannot afford the scope I want, so I stole a scope off another gun I wasn't using....anyway....I had the darn thing for 1.5 years, and have only been to the range one time(after break in).....one of these days I'd like to see about hitting the mark at a mile....this gun will do it, if I can....anyway....I'm a 300PRC person today!!

Attachments
------20220312_094225.jpg

RKCC#25

#200034 - 08/01/22 11:04 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
Super nice rig you have there!!

If I were to even look at a piece like that inmy state,I would face life in front of the firing squad!!!!!!

Wayne

#200035 - 08/01/22 01:21 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

darn Wayne!!
I guess that can be one of the issues of states rights, as we have been made recently aware of....I could not live where I could not own my guns!!! ALL of them
sorry for you

RKCC#25

#200050 - 08/01/22 09:20 PM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: thevalueman]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Super nice weapon, Rocky!

#200062 - 08/02/22 09:32 AM Re: What "Caliber" of person are you? [Re: coachblalock]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rocky,
Back in 2012 we had a terrible incident that started the ball rolling. The state law makers spent a month (or longer) thinking up new laws to prevent such an incident occurring again.

True to form,not one law that was passed would ever prevent such a thing to happen again.

And,again,true to form,they increased the work load of the firearms section of the state 100% and reduced their staff by 50%.

Now they have an 8+ year back log of firearms transactions
Scariest sentence ever to be said We're from the government we are here to help

Wayne

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman