dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45914 - 08/03/08 10:40 AM Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! ***
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!!
This will mark the last of the Dealer Specials that I am aware of. A big thank you to all who have participated in these knife of the week threads it has been so cool for me to see all of the knives that would normally take a lifetime to see!
The following is a direct copy of a RKS thread (http://www.knifetalkforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=rmkontopic&Number=14956&Searchpage=3&Main=14940&Words=SASQUATCH&topic=&Search=true )

In 1991 Steve Weinograd, assistant manager of Stoddard's, and Tim Leival, also an employee, worked on the original design of the "Stoddard Special", which was submitted to Gary Randall. At the time, Tim was a reserve Lieutenant in the 11th Special Forces Group based at Fort Devons. It was their goal to come up with a design which would make a "carry" knife that would fill the needs of the noncommissioned officer in our armed forces. Besides actually providing a knife that would do the job, they also wanted to honor the personnel so vital to the continuing success of our military, the Non-Commissioned Officers Corps. This effort resulted in the knife, which has come to be known as Stoddard's Sergeant's Model.

The Randall Shop worked up the prototype on the basis of the #19-5" Bushmaster blade. This is a wide, heavy duty type blade designed to be a big game skinning knife. As the original design made its way through the prototype stage it evolved into a 5-1/2" blade with a 1-1/2" width of 1/4" 01 Swedish Tool Steel. The upper bevel was left unsharpened due to a section of the Massachusetts law concerning double edged knives. The resulting blade looks more like the #25 Trapper model than the Bushmaster due to the slightly clipped point and the large flat grind. To go along with the "useful tool" aspect of this model is the single hilt and the single finger grip handle.

Up to the present date, handle material is a choice of Desert Ironwood or Sunburst Briar, both of which are beautiful materials. The Sergeant's model is stamped "Stoddard's, Inc/Boston, MA-SN. #----" on the blade on the opposite side of the Randall logo. As of June, 1995, 118 of these knives have been produced. It seems only fitting for Randall Made Knives to 'oldest tool, the knife.

Ladies and Gentlemen: could we please see some Stoddards Specials!

#45915 - 08/03/08 11:45 AM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
Here's a nickel silver hilt, aluminum spacers, nickel silver butt cap and elephant ivory handled Sgt.'s Special I grabbed up off eBay the morning that Stoddard's and RMK parted company:

Here's one that one was delivered to me after the breakup was announced but had already been ordered with fine silver hilt, sterling silver spacers, and fine silver butt cap with elephant ivory handle. It came compete with hairline crack down the center of the handle on the trademark side but I have a close friend who has a process for making the crack disappear. I cannot reveal any of the details but I will post the "after" shot when I get it back:

Stay tuned for further developments.

Regards,
Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#45916 - 08/03/08 12:44 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: silverknife]
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

WOW Sweet Stoddard's

#45917 - 08/03/08 01:15 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
same as Doug's but one carved by David Warther, the other pure silver! Not lucky enough to have the crack removal technique applied to mine yet

See Ya, Chief

Attachments
43772-2crossed#4nice1.JPG (804 downloads)

Edited by Chief (08/03/08 01:16 PM)
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#45918 - 08/03/08 01:29 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: Chief]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Here's mine!
Tony

Attachments
43773-IMG_0194.JPG (598 downloads)

Edited by TonyLaPetri (08/03/08 01:29 PM)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#45919 - 08/03/08 01:30 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: TonyLaPetri]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Same Knife...at work!
Tony

Attachments
43774-Stoddard-Sp.-at-work(web).jpg (598 downloads)

Edited by TonyLaPetri (08/03/08 01:31 PM)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#45920 - 08/03/08 04:41 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tony I have to say that if I could get one more it would be a stag Stoddards! Nice Knife Dude!!!!

See Ya, Chief
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#45921 - 08/03/08 06:56 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: TonyLaPetri]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Provolone and pepperoni, now there's the breakfast of champions! Like Chief said, nice stag. By the way chief, that ivory on your silver Special is really pretty. Nice grain and color. You know that there are only two silver and ivory Sgt.'s specials right? Yours and mine.

Regards,
Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#45922 - 08/03/08 07:18 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: silverknife]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I remember worrying that they wouldn't make the cut off sure was close! Believe that we got the last 2 ivories?

See ya, Chief
RKS #5154

#45923 - 08/03/08 08:34 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stoddards Special!!! [Re: Chief]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Yes, we did get the last 2. The gent we purchased them from had intended to order one for himself but never got around to it. He had purchased the silver but it was still sitting on his workbench when the news of the discontinuance was received. As they say, "timing is everything."

Regards,
Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod