Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45067 - 07/20/08 08:13 AM Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! *
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

This is form one of the other forums with the Capt’s permission

About mid 1980's Jeff McCartney, one of the Randall shop's key knife craftsman, had a Model #23-4 1/2" that had a slight crack in the false edge. The knife was stainless and Jeff thought that the crack was minor enough and shallow enough to make a decent knife out of this already finished "Gamemaster" without having to toss the whole thing out. What remained, after Jeff's superb customization, was a slightly shorter version (around 4") of the Model #23, with a more "bowie-styled" false edge. Actually it looked like a cross between an "old style" Trout and Bird and a Model #12-6" "Little Bear Bowie"!
Keep in mind that this Randall was made of 1/4" stock! I took one look at it and knew that it was the design I had been looking for! I struck a deal with Gary and my "Stanaback Special" was born! A lot of cool knife designs, as well as other things, come from mistakes. This knife, although not a true mistake, was no exception!! Thanks again to Jeff and Gary and, of course, Bo Randall, for making this superb Randall an exclusive to me. I can't tell you all how well it is received by folks. It just plain "works"!
As for the serial numbers, I only made 100 of these 4" specials with serial numbers, 1-100. All were leather handles and the number was etched next to the trademark. All have been long since sold out and sold for around $225.00. Those were the days, hey guys?
A few years later, when I was allowed to have 2 forgings, the 4 5/8" version was introduced. This knife had/ has the oxblood sheath with an EZE-lap sharpening steel, fitted in a leather tube pouch on the face of the sheath. This model "Stanaback", as well as the original 4" version, are still available today.
I have a serial numbered version of the 4 5/8", the "limited" which is "still available" in limited quantities. The total production of these will be 200, with well over half of them already sold and delivered. These longer specials are etched on the opposite side, a location everyone is more familiar with. They are made up with stainless steel blades, thumb notches, brass single hilt, brass and black spacers, a leather "commando-shaped" handle, and a brass butt cap, which is radiused.

I would like to thank everyone on the form for participating in these “knife of the week threads” it has been a huge success!!!
So without further a due ladies and Gentlemen may we please see some Stanaback Specials!!!!

#45068 - 07/20/08 08:52 AM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Raindog Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Coldwater, AL, These United St...
This particular knife is one of my favorites. The slab-side handle fits my hand perfect:

Death tugs at my ear and says: "Live, I am coming."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes

#45069 - 07/20/08 11:38 AM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Jesse and all other members,
Thanks to the support of my customers and this club, the "Stanaback Special" has lived a long and prosperous life! I see even more great things for this durable, attractive and functional blade design...It just plain "works"!!
Since this printing of the genisis of my "Stanaback", there have been a good many additional "Limiteds" sold, but a few are still available. I have some ideas for "future" versions, but nothing is concrete as of yet. My 25th anniversary of this special isn't but a few months away....We'll see. I'll try and send some pics to the "Chief" of a couple of "Stanaback Specials". Thank you all for your support and welcome comments about my dealer special.
Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#45070 - 07/20/08 11:54 AM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: Raindog]
BigJim Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Gary,
That's one Great Looking Knife.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!

#45071 - 07/20/08 12:04 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
One in the safe. One on order. Would like one more!

Attachments
42871-stanaback1.jpg (757 downloads)

RKS #4868

#45072 - 07/20/08 12:08 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: Raindog]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Gary,
That's a great looking Stanaback. In fact, I like it so much that I ordered one
with the slab-sided stag not too long ago!
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#45073 - 07/20/08 12:09 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: tomthbomb]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Tom,
ANOTHER BEAUTY!
Is that red or maroon Micarta?
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#45074 - 07/20/08 01:07 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Tanasie Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee, USA
...this is my 'special' Stanaback Special, can you guess why ?

Attachments
42877-DSC00004.JPG (745 downloads)

Edited by Tanasie (07/20/08 01:09 PM)

#45075 - 07/20/08 01:24 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: Tanasie]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rex,
It's not stainless, or not MARKED stainless??
(I thought all Stanabacks were stainless)
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#45076 - 07/20/08 02:17 PM Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Tony..and others,
Back in the early 90's I had 50 carbon steel "Stanabacks" forged. I was going to give up my short, 4" stainless knife and have the 4 5/8" length available in both stainless steel and carbon. Of course they didn't sell. It's a "Florida" thing. Ya'll wouldn't understand.
I begged Gary to let me "switch back" and he politely agreed. The majority of folks that asked for a carbon offering did not come through. They weren't from "around here". If something will hold up in Florida it will hold up most anywhere. Anyway: Stainless is "all" that is available now and thank God for that!
As a side note: The very first "Stanaback Special / Serial Numbered knife", i.e. the 4" was done initially to help "use up" the forging and make way for the carbon. I guess it all works out in the long run...so long as ya'll don't want another "rusty" Stanaback Special!!
Best for now, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 ... 36 37 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod