Stanback Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42472 - 06/01/08 07:06 AM Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! *
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!!
3 ¼ blade of 3/16 stock. Sheep’s foot design blade. Top notches. Reduced-only brass hilt. Approx. 4” flat-sided stag handle. ( stainless is recommended for marine use.) Supplied with cover sheath. (wt. 40z.)
Ladies and Gentlemen: can we please se some Cattleman!!!!

#42473 - 06/01/08 02:06 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Y'all don't slip on something and hurt yourselves running out to the barn to get your Cattleman to photograph for this weeks K.M.O.T.W.!
If you do have one with scrimmed crown stag I would really like to see it!
RKS #4868

#42474 - 06/01/08 02:28 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Ya' know, Jesse...for years the "Cattleman" was not available in stainless. It's interesting seeing the comments suggesting stainless for marine use. This could have (simple conjecture on my part) been due to the blade design being so similar to the "Yachtsman" knife made popular by "Buck" and others. The sheep foot blade and a marlin spike (some may remember) were ever-present on that model. Just my "take" on it. Gary and Bo had the original carbon steel "Cattlemans" made up for their ranch foreman and wranglers down at the ranch. I'll quite blabbering on now and hope someone has photos. I cannot find my one and only Cattleman. Hope someone does...Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#42475 - 06/04/08 06:45 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
Hi! Capt.,
these'R my two "cattleman"...please tell me something
about the different grind.

Also handles are different: stag is square...not round.
Wood(Australian)is regular rounded but exsctly two tone:
one side very pale, other very dark.
Stay well Capt.
Best
Guido
PS: yes! one carbon & one S

Attachments
40301-#Cuttleman.jpg (475 downloads)

Edited by Guido_Bitossi (06/04/08 06:47 AM)

#42476 - 06/04/08 07:34 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Guido,
The carbon steel is a bit earlier. The stag is "slab side", or flat side. One of the topics at the blade show Q&A that Scott and I fielded was regarding "slab side" knives.
At this time only the "Cattleman" and "Stanaback Special" are available with this handle shape. I didn't know that, but apparently to reduce time spent per knife this option has been eliminated. Because the Cattleman and my dealer special have always included this option, they were spared.

Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#42477 - 06/04/08 11:30 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Guido_Bitossi Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Florence, Italy
Capt.!
"slab side" talk.... One more missed occasion not be able to come over for the BLADE SHOW...
Capt. thanks...as usual...
best
Guido

#84216 - 12/27/10 10:15 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: Guido_Bitossi]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
bump
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#84219 - 12/28/10 07:06 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: pappy19]
WildBill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rigging knives is another one of my passions. Interesting tidbit, in the old days, when a man got on a sailing ship, one of the first actions the captain did (not Chris!) was to have the tip broken off his knife - no need for his men to be stabbing each other. There are other benifits to the sheep foot blade and the most obvious is on a rolling deck you don't want people falling on their knives.

The last important part of this design is the way the knife was used to cut rope. (Except for cutting small stuff), the proper way to cut rope was to set the rope on a block of wood, then place the cutting edge of the knife on the rope. The man then would hit the back of the knife with a block of wood or wooden hammer. For this to work, the cutting edge of the blade must be straight and the back must be thick.

Granted the cattleman was originally made for land, however, I think if Randall had made it with a micarta handle, ss blade and pitched it as a rigging knife, he may have had many takers.

This is one that is missing from my collection but IS on the list.

Best, Bill
RKS#5892

#84221 - 12/28/10 09:06 AM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: WildBill]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
Interesting stuff, there, Bill. Thanks for the info.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#84232 - 12/28/10 12:59 PM Re: Knife Model Of The Week The Cattleman!! [Re: WildBill]
Doug74 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: WildBill

Granted the cattleman was originally made for land, however, I think if Randall had made it with a micarta handle, ss blade and pitched it as a rigging knife, he may have had many takers.

Best, Bill

They have (except for calling it a "rigging knife").....check out the new Chef's Knife.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83294#Post83294

Edited by Doug74 (12/28/10 01:01 PM)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod