Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41364 - 05/04/08 07:49 AM Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! **
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Knife of the week Denmark Special!!!
The Denmark special as stated in the Randall Made Knives Non-Catalog Models II
4 ½ blade of 3/16 stock. Raised point design. Brass hilt. Approx 4 ½ stag handle. Excellent small hunting and fishing knife. Supplied with model B sheath. (WT. 5.5 oz)
Lades and Gentleman lets see those Denmark Special’s

Attachments
39042-treemans021(Medium).jpg (674 downloads)

Edited by JesseEgnew (05/04/08 07:49 AM)

#41365 - 05/04/08 09:01 AM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Lades and Gentleman lets see those Denmark Special’s

I'm really in neither of these categories, but I do have a DS. Perfect pre-ban elephant ivory handle, N/S guard, R/W/B spacers. If ever anyone wanted a shorter #3 with an exceptional grind, this model is it.
~dale

Attachments
39044-DS_mapleBurl.JPG (640 downloads)

#41366 - 05/04/08 10:03 AM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
An original Denmark Special from my collection. See article below also from RKS newsletter #59 which includes an article from newsletter #5 by RKS Florida member, Brad Shepherd. Also notice the unusual side draw sheath that some of these early knives from Denmark's Sporting Goods had.

Regards,

Rhett

The following article is from Randall Knife Society newsletter, #5, dated January 1990. Written by member Brad Shepherd. I saw Brad at this years Knifemaker’s Guild Show, as he is a new member in that guild and makes a very nice knife.

The knife shown here, I traded for at the Solvang Show in April, from a custom knife dealer from Massachusetts.
The knife blade measures four inches long and is of 1/4 inch stainless stock. The Johnson sheath is one of the custom designed horizontal sheaths and “custom” is written , in ink, on the back of the sheath. The handle is black micarta and there is a black faced compass in the butt. There are nine spacers making up the typical seven spacer arrangement of this period. The two outside red spacers, are usually counted as one, each end of the spacer arrangement. The hilt is nickel silver.
Also notice that the “S”, denoting stainless, was stamped separately from the Randall logo.

In 1995 the RKS club knife was the “Denmark” blade. Today Randall offers this knife in 3/16 inch stock, 4-1/2 inch blade, as a Non-Catalog Model. In 1990 when the article below was written, the Denmark Special was not available from Randall. /// Rhett Stidham

RKS Newsletter #5 January, 1990

BRAD SHEPHERD / THE DENMARK SPECIAL

Many central Floridians and all of the Orlando area sporting community is familiar with Denmark’s Sporting Goods. Located for many years in downtown Orlando, Denmark’s was the hub of activity for local sportsmen of all persuasions. It was not unusual to find three generations shopping together for their hunting and fishing supplies. Indeed two generations of management could be found tending the store on most days. The familiar landmark founded decades ago by Pete Denmark and Walter Hudson is history now. The old wooden floors and racks of lures and walls covered with trophies have been replaced by jogging shorts and tennis rackets. But, beside the memories, a few tangible reminders are still around.

One piece of memorabilia that will remain for a long time is the Randall made “DENMARK SPECIAL”. The Denmark Special was commissioned by Pate Denmark at the urging of “Little Walter” Hudson. “Little Walter” is the son of the co-founder. Little Walter goes about 250 and could bench press a Ford Bronco if he put his mind to it! Pete and Walter thought their customers deserved a Randall specifically designed for Florida use. Their theory was that the ideal Florida hunting knife would be small, rugged and simple. A drop point skinner with solid metal all the way to the tip was their choice. The taper grind on the top of most Randalls is all right for thrusting but could weaken the very area that had to take the force of splitting the backbone of a fresh kill.

After a few hours going over their requirements with Bo Randall, the Denmark Special was born. The Denmark Special has never been cataloged and is actually considered by the Randall Shop to be a special grind rather than a custom design. The basic style is that of the Model 7 without the top bevel. The result is a strengthened blade that retains the flowing grace of the original. The handles were available in both stag and micarta. The spacers were alternating red and white. A typical specimen is shown in the photo above.

According to Walter, the Denmark Special was first offered in 1975. It was kept more or less in stock exclusively in the Orlando store until the business was sold in 1988. No records are available but Walter estimates approximately 195 were sold in the last 15 years. The majority probably still reside in local closets and gun cabinets.

An interesting optional feature on the Denmark Special was a custom designed horizontal sheath. Little Walter felt this sheath, which laid along the belt line provided added protection in case the wearer fell from a tree stand — an all too common occurrence.

The closest thing to the Denmark Special presently available is the Pathfinder featured in the last RKSA newsletter. Could there be an inspiration here from the past? //// Brad Shepherd

Edited by Rhett Stidham (02/24/09 05:26 PM)

#41367 - 05/04/08 10:15 AM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: Rhett Stidham]
JesseEgnew Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Wow great read thanks Mr. Stidham for this very useful knowledge! And awesome knife I like the micarta crows beak.

#41368 - 05/04/08 01:15 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: Rhett Stidham]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Rhett,
Thanks for the great read! Terrific looking knife.
I don't think I ever saw a Micarta handle shaped into a "crow's beak" at the end.
Can that be ordered today?
Best,
Tony
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#41369 - 05/04/08 02:02 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: Rhett Stidham]
johnedwards Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Pa 8 months Fl 4 Months
Rhett, Can you still order a micarta crows beak?? John
John L Edwards #4434

#41370 - 05/04/08 03:31 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
sterusmall Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lakeland, FL
RKS #5224
NRA Life Member

#41371 - 05/04/08 06:32 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
silverknife Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Think Snow
Here's a beut that belongs to Neale Jenkinson accross the pond in Merry Old England:

Looks like antique gold micarta with a border patrol handle, all black spacers, brass hilt and brass radiused butt cap. Very very nice set up Neale.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member

#41372 - 05/04/08 07:00 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest

-Steve

Attachments
39066-3-denmarks.jpg (654 downloads)

#41373 - 05/04/08 08:18 PM Re: Knife of the week Denmark Special!!! [Re: JesseEgnew]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Tony and Jesse,

I had to call the Captain on this as I am not very knowledgable on the new knives. A knife today would not look close to the old one I show. It would look more like the knife that silverknife shows.

Knives change through the years with all companies.

Regards,

Rhett

Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod