Randall Knife Collectors Club Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36235 - 02/17/08 09:34 AM Knife Of The Week Model 19 **
vklough46 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Boogie Wonderland
Thanks to all who have participated thus far.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pp. 209-211

Quote:

During the fall of 1962, shortly after Gary joined the shop as a full-time employee, Bo's son-in-law Bill Baker brought a good friend of his to the knifeshop. Norm Sherwood was an avid outdoorsman and resident of Colorado who was preparing for an extensive pack trip into the wilderness. He was familiar with the Randall line and liked the Alaskan Skinner design for the field-dressing of game, but for his impending wilderness outing he needed a more heavy-duty, all-around field and camp knife, one which could even be used to cut brush for a cooking fire as well as to field-dress game.

The style of knife he desired was unavailable, so Norm and Bo started sketching out ideas. Their final design showed a short blade with a well-rounded belly for skinning large game animals, while the top was shaped somewhat like a shallow, inverted "V." The foward portion of this top edge was sharpened, using a wide cutting angle, like those on a hand ax. This top cutting edge could be used for chopping brush or some of the heavier cutting chores necessary with a large game animal. Just ahead of the hilt, the blade top was thumb-notched, in the manner of Tommy Thompson's Model 11 Alaskan Skinner. The very sturdy, heavy-duty blade was to be made from the full thickness of 1/4-inch forging stock.

"He wanted a heavy-duty knife with the top edge sharpened so he could cut through sinew and ligaments with it, maybe small bones, and not ruin the good edge down below," was how Bo related the short story of this knife's origin. The name for this new knife was suggested by Bill Baker as soon as Norm and Bo had finished their design. It was termed "The Bushmaster" because its reason for being was Norm Sherwood's upcoming pack trip "into the bush," and that name has stuck with it ever since.

...While looking at the old photograph, ... Bo and I nicknamed this original style "The Tadpole," because of its fat-bellied, long-tailed appearance. Bo's comment was that "we liked it well enough that we adopted it, but it's not a pretty knife, and we just didn't sell an awful lot of them."

...Because of its moderate popularity, Bo kept seeing the knife in the shop and was always reminded of how displeased he was with its overall appearance.

...Sometime during the early months of 1964, Bo received a sketch and order for another "special order" knife that must have fueled his desire to modify the Bushmaster design. It seemed that Robert E. Carter, Jr., of Granite Mountain, Arkansas, had his own definite ideas about the style of a heavy-duty game preparation and field knife he wished to carry "in the bush." His design sketch showed a 1/4-inch blade of 4-inch stock, with a sharpened top cutting edge like the Model 19 Bushmaster. But Carter's blade wasn't as fat as the Bushmaster, with its cutting edge shaped more like the Model 11 Alaskan Skinner, and the blade top didn't rise up into the peaked, inverted "V" shape of the Bushmaster. Carter didn't want his knife to have a sharp point either, wishing the cutting edge to be carried around a well-radiused front end. For a handle, he chose one of Micarta with finger grips, similar to that shown on the Model 20 Yukon Skinner.... Carter finished off his special request knife with thumb notches ahead of the brass hilt and a compass set into the handle butt.

...Sometime in late 1965 or early 1966, Randall Knives changed the design of the Model 19 Bushmaster to a more pleasing shape, which would also render it more compatible with its other styles. It appears that Carter's special request knife figures prominently in this redesign effort.

Lady and gentlemen, may we please see some Model 19s?

Kevin

BSC-002

#36236 - 02/17/08 09:44 AM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: vklough46]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Here's a current day model 19-5 with a snow background. Not really anthing to learn with this one, just fun to look at...

Attachments
34555-19-5_snow.JPG (882 downloads)

#36237 - 02/17/08 02:03 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: vklough46]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Kevin, the #19 is one of my fav's!

I've been whackin' a lot of knives into that old Hickory stump lately. I may have to start looking for a new one soon.

Here's one that will be going to a new Randall enthusiast in the Heart O' Texas this week.

Attachments
34567-#19-5leather.jpg (912 downloads)

RKS #4868

#36238 - 02/17/08 02:12 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: tomthbomb]
vklough46 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Boogie Wonderland
Dale and Tom,
Great examples of current 19's.
Nice photos too.
Kevin

BSC-002

#36239 - 02/17/08 02:15 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: vklough46]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Here is an off-shoot of an old Model 19 that I bought from a fellow that lived several years with a group of Eskimos in the Artic. His Eskimo name, "Antorssuak", is etched on the back of the blade. The sheath he made with native materials. The knife handle is from oosic he provided. These two photos by my good friend and Japanese Knife Magazine photographer, Hiro Soga.

And below a Model 19 that I bought from Randall famous Tommy Bish. The sheath he made using skin from a leopard he killed. Easy Joe.

Regards,

Rhett
Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

#36240 - 02/17/08 02:22 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: vklough46]
Peter63 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Two of them with stag...
RKS #1270
RKCC #CMI-008

#36241 - 02/17/08 03:13 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: Peter63]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Tomthbomb: I've been whackin' a lot of knives into that old Hickory stump lately. I may have to start looking for a new one soon.

Or a really good sharpener.
~dale

Peter,
You should enter that photo in the contest.
~dale

#36242 - 02/17/08 03:17 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: Rhett Stidham]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Rhett: The sheath he made using skin from a leopard he killed. Easy Joe .

Attachments
34577-smiley_ROFL_big.gif (824 downloads)

#36243 - 02/17/08 03:43 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: Cabinet_Man]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Tomthbomb: I've been whackin' a lot of knives into that old Hickory stump lately. I may have to start looking for a new one soon.

Or a really good sharpener.

Dale,
Do you think one little chop on the stump dulled my Randalls? NOT!
RKS #4868

#36244 - 02/17/08 04:10 PM Re: Knife Of The Week Model 19 [Re: tomthbomb]
Cabinet_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Quote:

Dale,
Do you think one little chop on the stump dulled my Randalls?
--------------------
Tom Welch

See the "Batoning wood" thread.
~dale

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod