Stanback Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 82 of 170 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 169 170 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117277 - 03/12/14 09:42 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! * [Re: pepe]
Buck Buchanan Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Fayetteville NC
Notice the photo showing the backside of the sheath hides the etching that the belt loop covers.

So, what famous name is etched on the blade to fetch three times the current price?
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com

#117278 - 03/12/14 11:24 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: Buck Buchanan]
pepe Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Ted Nugent?????

#117279 - 03/13/14 06:08 AM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: pepe]
MYB Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: On the cutting edge
Ronald Reagan - One of the best Randall salesman ever

#117285 - 03/13/14 08:29 AM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: MYB]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
After seeing the stone, I suspect that the stone is original and the knife and sheath are replacements. grin

As for cost, I agree, there is a famous name engraved on the blade.
RKS #4233

#117287 - 03/13/14 10:35 AM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: TAH]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Knife, stone & sjeath are all original and the "package" is complete. Buck...You are on the right trail. Here's some of the characteristics to look for, and helpful hints about "aging" your prized Randall knife. Check out these "nuances" about this knife. (and incidently: No one has even come up with the correct "decade", except in generalities) Not 60's...not 70's...It was completed in 1984!
Recently I spoke with one of our members about "sheath" recognition. Here's what this Model #1-7" shows us:
* Johnson "roughback" sheath (Also called a "butterfly-stitched" sheath)....More importantly...and correctly, it is a Maurice Johnson butterfly-stitched roughback sheath. Maurice's son, Johnny Johnson, used an entirely different maching. Johnny's sewing machine was not a "tight stich machine". Both machines were leased. Johnny's machine was never even delivered to Johnson's Leather Shop, in Castleberry, Fl. until late 1985 or 1986. After setup it was put into service. The year was 1986. Taking a look at this Model #1's sheath one can easily see that the stitching is "tight".
Maurice Johnson's machine was still used throughout the 1980's but usually as a back up when Johnny's machine was being serviced or Johnny was unavailable. It is impossible to say that, just because a knife & sheath combination featured a tight-stitched Johnson roughback sheath, the combo was made prior to 1986. It is "not" imprudent to say that any knife & sheath combo with the longer stitched sheath could "not" have been produced prior to 1986!
I'll see if I have examples of the later stitching...but here'a a close up of the sheath for this cambo we are disuccing now.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------This Old Randall (E).jpg

------This Old Randall (D).jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#117288 - 03/13/14 10:49 AM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Memberes,
For comparison, below is a scarce example od a Randall Model #12-9" in stainless! Notice that the Bowie clip point is present..."NOT" the #14 grind with the "straight" clip point. The knife was made in 1986, long before the #12-9" with #14 grind was offered. The sheath is a "Johnny Johnson" butterfly-stiches roughback sheath. Hopefully by showing this sheath you will be able to recognize the "longer" stitch pattern of Johnny's machine.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------#12-9-SS-ET1(#4)-C.JPG

------#12-9-SS-ET1(#4)-B.JPG

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#117289 - 03/13/14 01:53 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Captain,

Is there more to the story? I wouldn't think this particular sheath would justify paying 3 times what a new knife and sheath would cost.
RKS #4233

#117290 - 03/13/14 02:24 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rodbrown Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Capt.
Clarification please. My understanding is Johnny's sheaths were loose stitch. First he produced rough back sheaths then smooth back, but they were all loose stitched. I am sure there were sheaths made by him on his Dad's machine, during the transition, that were not loose stitched. I am speaking in general.
I quickly took a couple of pics, not light tent, nothing, so the quality is poor.
The first picture, IMO, top sheath Maurice, second and third sheaths are Johnny's loose stitch.
Second picture is the same sheaths, back sides, in the same order, but the bottom sheath is a smooth back.
Third picture is a bit closer. Maurice's sheath on the left and Johnny's two, the middle and the right.
Please set me straight about Johnny sheaths all being loose stitched or not.

Attachments
------IMG_8232-001.JPG

------IMG_8233-001.JPG

------IMG_8236-001.JPG

Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

#117291 - 03/13/14 05:39 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: rodbrown]
Knife Enthusiast

So many questions....
OK: Tom: Yes, as Buck 1st hinted, there is more than just the knife and sheath. We have not even addressed spacers. Byrdguy touched on the blade choil and top "reverse grip" cutout being old style also. BUT (I know) there is more to the story. IMO just what ya'll have seen would justify a higher price then a current knife & sheath. 30 years of vintage, for one thing.
Rod: The sheaths are not "loose-stitched". Johnny did "not" make these sheaths on his Dad's (Maurice's) sewing machine. The second machine that they leased was a "different" machine. The length of the stitching, as well as it's pattern are totally different than Maurice's machine. Johnny definitely used the old machine, from time to time, that much is clear. Your photo shows 2 totally seperate and individual machines. The "long-stitching" of the second and third sheaths are the newer machine.
Greg Gutcher has told me that the longer stitching makes for a stronger sheath. I shall not question Greg's expertise in sheath making. I think what Greg was saying is that the ""tighter" sheaths can (I repeat "CAN") have a tendency to punch the leather holes too close together, therefore not giving the leather as much strength between the stitches.
*NOTE: "Tight" stiitching does not refer to anything having to do with "tension" on the thread...but rather with the "spacing" of it. Look closely at Rod's or my examples and you will see the spacing...tight (as in closer together in spacing) verses long (stitches spread farther apart).
Hope this helps to clear this up.
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#117292 - 03/13/14 06:20 PM Re: Old Forum Fun!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
rodbrown Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Capt.
Thanks for the explanation. Got it.

Greg explained to me, more than once, his thoughts of longer stitches. It makes sense to me.

The knife:
1. Does it have anything to do with you becoming a RMK dealer?

2. OR does it have anything to do with Ronald Reagan being re-elected as President?

You got me intersted

Edited by rodbrown (03/13/14 06:22 PM)
Whether you think you can or can not, you are right.

Page 82 of 170 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 169 170 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod