Miles Swelze Stanback Knives
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202775 - 01/28/23 12:36 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b **** [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Uncle Mike Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, the more I read the more I want them all. Since my addiction can not be satisfied in regards, to this knife I can only offer some thoughts. I think a hunting knife needs to have a skinning type blade. When I split wood or do camp chores I used my hatchet and my EDC knife. In the last 50 years I have carried a Henckels stockman and a Heckles wooden handled Skinning blade that I attached a lanyard. I dressed out a lot of game big and small with these. I'm no Nessmuk but I like his knife. I think an Alaskan # 11, a Yukon # 20 or a blade like the woodsman #28. I know nothing about grinds etcetera but I find a shorter blade handier than a longer and a waxed sheath better in the outdoors than a plain. I like a compass just in case and a lanyard for safety. Just my two cents.
That being said any knife you guys decide on is Ok with me and will be a remembrance of the friends I have found here, fondest regards, Mike

PS: When your done start thinking about a self defense knife.

Edited by Uncle Mike (01/28/23 12:38 PM)
Edit Reason: add postscript

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#202782 - 01/29/23 09:02 AM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Uncle Mike]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Mike C,
Usually,the longer the blade on a knife that a "woodsman" wears indicates the more of a green horn he is.
Three to four inches is pretty much the standard and can get most stuff taken care of.

Clearing of brush,cutting up saplings etc is much better handled by and axe,saw or Woodmans PAL...at least in my opinion.

As for self defense knife.............my advise is distance and plenty of it. Trust me on this,in a knife fight,no one walks away (if they are able to) unscathed.

Wayne

#202783 - 01/29/23 10:54 AM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Wayne Dengler]
Shoot870p Online
Knife Enthusiast

Long distance is next best thing to being there according to Ma Bell!
Top Dog, I also handle a shorter blade better. Yes, the longer blade gets you an extra inch or two away but it “slows” the flow down for me.
Walker

#202784 - 01/29/23 11:26 AM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Shoot870p]
Uncle Mike Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, when I associated with "Hard Types" they told me that when they met/trained with "feriners" (sic) they often made disparaging remarks about the "cowboys" that typically carried large Bowie style knives. I think the perfect offensive knife size maybe about the same as the Applegate-Fairbairn knife or about 6". I didn't wish to start this discussion, but only wished to point out that after a hunting knife maybe a defensive/combat/offensive knife can be discussed. When I was a LEO I was attacked with knives but was never in a real knife fight or in the Military; so I defer to others more knowledgeable than me. I did talk often with Col. Applegate and even in his old age knew his stuff, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#202786 - 01/29/23 01:50 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Uncle Mike]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I think, at this point, we've had ample discussion as to what "we" (?) prefer. I've used Model #10-3's...up to a #5-6" on game of various sizes and shapes. No question...the most difficult was not the largest..."HOGS"! The skin if super tough and greasy to "hand-remove" once the skinning is started.
Point is? I'm not sure but a 1/4" stock knife worked best on hogs...with much less sharpening (or touching up) to do.
Whitetails, small game and birds (ducks, pheasants, dove & quail) required less "tune-ups" also and a 3/16" stock worked well. It all depends upon "what" you're hunting.
OK: Nothing is off the table as to your choice...and, as I have said many...many times: I don't care "what" we build. So let's decide, please.
I'd like each and every one of you to post your "one...preferred...choice". Not a 2nd and you can explain your "why". Afterwards we'll start whittlin'...
What Say You All?
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------Cap's Mulie (resized).jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#202788 - 01/29/23 02:52 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Standabck Special, either length.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#202789 - 01/29/23 03:14 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: LarryWW1246]
KENKAN Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NWMS
Old Style #8 because 3/16" works for me as I don't hunt hogs !!!!
RKCC CM-020 RKS#3210
NRA Benefactor
Life Member AGCA
Member TACA
FOP

#202790 - 01/29/23 03:36 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
11-4 FG

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#202791 - 01/29/23 04:18 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: GCTom41]
Billy Poyner Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
11-4

Proud to have served my country 67-69

#202792 - 01/29/23 05:26 PM Re: Any interest in a "By-God" serious hunting knife b [Re: Billy Poyner]
pappy19 Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Model 7-4", with a #6 grind.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >