Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198023 - 02/15/22 11:21 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: Duke]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, this is what I have sitting in my closet now. I add or deduct what I carry depending on the "objective" or where I'm going.

1) Kifaru Xray day pack in Typhon camo
extra socks, GI canteen, Katydyn personal water filter, small 1st aid kit, matches candles and tinder, French GI Esbit stove and fuel. American Kami titanium spoon, Titanium pot.
2) Colt XSE Govt. model 45, Tuff Products 8 magazine pouch, 8 SS Colt magazines loaded.
3) Randall Tout & Bird old model and stone
4) Bill Harsey Rex Applegate AF knife
5) Henckel Stockman pocket knife.
6) VTAC Brokos belt with Cobra belt and TYR suspenders
7) Surefire Tactician flashlight, batteries
8) S&W 442 Pro 38 Spl. 5 shot speed loader
9) Rosary

Depending on situation either a M1 carbine or M1 Garand with appropriate Grab & Go Olongapo Outfitters clip/magazine holder, loaded. Regular GI canteen or GI Arctic canteen.
The hardest "Sophie's choice" is which knife to take.
Plus what I forgot squirrelled away in my pack, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#198031 - 02/15/22 01:04 PM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: Uncle Mike]
Uncle Mike Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, some of the stuff I forgot. RMJ Kestrel Feather, small Steiner Binoculars, Silva compass, collapsible water bottle and Douglas Field S lighter, regards, Mike

Mike C
RKCC No. 825

#198037 - 02/15/22 07:24 PM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: Uncle Mike]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Sunflower State
I have a "chit hits the fan" backpack that has most everything I think I would need for a couple days.
-S&W model 17 22lr and holster for small game (food) with 100 rounds ammo
-S&W model 629 44 mag and holster for self defense with 50 rounds ammo
-folding hand saw for building shelter.
-Randall 2-4 in clip sheath for self defense
-Behring Hunter and Behring Pintail for cooking, meat processing, camp chores, etc.
-Sharpening stone
-Flashlight and extra batteries
-Wind and water proof torch lighter and a Regular Bic lighter
-Bag of Fatwood for fire starter
-Tylenol for fever, headache, broken finger, etc.
-Rope for various uses
-Water purification straw
-Hand warmers
-Not pictured I also have gauze, bandaids, rubbing alcohol, and hand sanitizer.

All of the above weights 17lbs, which may seem excessive, but keep in mind some of that weight will be on my belt and in pant pockets.

-In my truck under rear seat I keep a small fishing pole with light tackle for added dinner options.

Thanks to this thread I have decided to seek out a small light weight skillet to add to the pack.

If I knew I was needing to be out longer, I would also likely grab my BLR 30-06 and a couple boxes of ammo.

Edited by nate-dogg (02/16/22 04:12 AM)

#198041 - 02/15/22 09:18 PM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: nate-dogg]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
That’s impressive!!!

#198042 - 02/16/22 04:17 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: coachblalock]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Sunflower State
I love reading everyones pack contents, but I'm wondering how exactly do we "build" the ideal pack as a group? Reading what everyone else is packing makes me realize I need to add some stuff. I think I need a canteen, protein bars, gloves, fire steel, a better first aid kit, whistle, some type of small water proof sleeping bag? I also would like to mention the guns and knives I have in backpack don't actually stay stored in the bag, they stay in safe, but easy to grab when I need to go. So I might want to put a couple knives that stay in the bag just in case I can't get in the safe?

#198044 - 02/16/22 07:27 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: nate-dogg]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
I think each pack is going to be different for sure....SIZE!!! that's the big thing for me....just for instance I do not have a canteen, however I have a life straw....no room in my fanny pack for the canteen. I would like to have other stuff, however I can just get my zippers closed as it is.....then one could say "get a bigger pack"...for me, this is just about right....I would like more stuff...BUT...I'd have to trade/remove other stuff, which I have done from time to time....I do keep stuff in my truck, like the guns and bottle water...I'll have to make decisions when it come time to use....It would be nice to hear other ideas...for sure

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#198046 - 02/16/22 08:13 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: thevalueman]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Reading all your posts makes me think about the same things.

One way to separate things is to build a kit along the lines of where I expect to need it.

Everyday carry in the "civilized" world of the city is one thing. It then breaks down into what I can conveniently have with me when walking around etc., and what is in the car.

If going into the near-wild for a casual walk near civilization is another matter. Would need the "top end" gear that would also go into longer trips into the wild. Thinking help "might" be close by, but lots of folks get lost/injured/killed near trails in parks etc. even city parks.

And if going way out there into the back country, would need more and bulkier gear.

This is making me go back to my "stuff" to sort it out and maybe re-do things.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#198050 - 02/16/22 08:56 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: LarryWW1246]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
to what Larry said:
different situations mean different items....my car "kit" is to get me home from a "local" situation....2 days max.....NOW I've also got a bug out trunk...it holds just about everything I can think of/I have for the big trip....I carry meds in all packs...for me, and extra, for folks I may come across....MEDS....MEDS....MEDS!!!
I would love to be able to get some antibiotics however not going to happen...I've got some fish antibiotics there effectiveness is unclear...at least to me...you can get some pretty good medical items on line for almost anything you can think of...I've got some strange stuff, however it seemed reasonable at the time...

:-)Rocky

Attachments
------DSC00038.JPG

------DSC00039.JPG

RKCC#25

#198059 - 02/16/22 11:31 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: nate-dogg]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: nate-dogg
I love reading everyones pack contents, but I'm wondering how exactly do we "build" the ideal pack as a group?

Originally Posted By: nate-dogg
Reading what everyone else is packing makes me realize I need to add some stuff.

I split your comment up into two sections to point out that you basically answered your own question. smile

Reading everyone else's comments have given me some ideas.

I have a second bag for longer outings that I've been slowly working up over the past couple of years. It needs to be converted to a backpack and otherwise is a "work in progress".

One thing mentioned above was gloves. Yup, gonna toss a pair of those in there too. I have them in the vehicles, they should be in the "extended go kit" as well.

#198061 - 02/16/22 11:41 AM Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! [Re: Windsor]
BladesNBarrels Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
I went to the Colorado Mountain Clubs 10 Essentials and they referred to the list from 1974 itemized in the book, Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills
I have no idea how I could carry everything that was recommended.

1. Navigation: map, altimeter, compass, [GPS device], [PLB, satellite communicator, or satellite phone], [extra batteries or battery pack]
2. Headlamp: plus extra batteries
3. Sun protection: sunglasses, sun-protective clothes, and sunscreen
4. First aid: including foot care and insect repellent (if required)
5. Knife: plus repair kit
6. Fire: matches, lighter and tinder, or stove as appropriate
7. Shelter: carried at all times (can be a lightweight emergency bivy)
8. Extra food: beyond minimum expectation
9. Extra water: beyond minimum expectation, or the means to purify
10. Extra clothes: sufficient to survive an emergency overnight
Molon Labe

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >