James Behring Knives Stanback Knives
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201835 - 12/17/22 08:04 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: thevalueman]
BOB_TEATES Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
When I was in elementary school I took my m1 carbine to show and tell, can you imagine that today? (I was accompanied by my Dad. He bought 4, 1 for each kid and 1 for himself through his police dept and NRA for $25. each)
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#201836 - 12/17/22 10:09 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: BOB_TEATES]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Earth
Larry,
Back then,teachers gave out spanking and cops issued out "justice" on the street right then and there.

I lived within sight of the Empire State Bldg in NJ and it was nothing to see kids riding their bicycles with a 22 rifle or BB gun across the handle bars to go down to the dump to shoot cans and rats.

Any misbehavior with a gun meant swift and harsh punisment plus you can kiss the gun,your bike and probably your life as you knew it away.

Wayne

#201839 - 12/17/22 11:30 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
1967+/-(can't exactly remember the year) I flew to DFW....Love field back then....carried my new Ruger .22 pistol, in it's holster....I presented it to the attendant she put it in the cockpit, when leaving she handed it back to me...no problem I was around 14 or so...

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#201846 - 12/17/22 03:56 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: thevalueman]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The laxity on airlines lasted quite a while for knives.

I routinely carried a Small Sebenza on trips to DC once or twice a week...until the beginnings of the clampdown. Before 9/11 they installed magnetic detection, still let me carry the knife and a small pepper spray for a long time.

When they started cracking down, I got to the airport, the knife got their attention, so I took it to the airline service counter and they put it in an envelope to hold it for me. Picked it up with no problem when I got back.

Once had a small pepper spray clipped to the inner pocket on a rain parka. Going through the conveyor belt it got caught and sprayed the line inspector and his supervisor...who exclaimed "Get that thing out of there!" and waved me through to get rid of me and it!

Why carry those things?

Different people from the company had been robbed in DC. Hoping to never have a gun pulled on me.

One of our senior marketing guys walked into my office one Monday with a large bandage on his head.

I asked, "Manny, what kind of door did you run into?"

He explained he had been to DC, walking back to his hotel after the restaurant some guy jumped out and pointed a .45 at him. Manny had big cajones...having flown 91 B-17 missions in Europe.

But, when he tried to take the guy's gun from him, he got hit on the head and then taken to the ER.

The closest I came to "trouble" was when a young stud physically blocked "and old bald guy" (me) three times from boarding the Metro at Rosslyn station one afternoon as I was trying to make a flight.

I resisted temptations, he backed down, and continued on the train to I suppose the Navy Yard.

Larry

Hey--I know, no BB guns here. Delete if appropriate.
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#201852 - 12/18/22 09:22 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: LarryWW1246]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Larry,
Thread drifts tend to occur when guys (and gals) get to talking.

Pretty much like sitting around the fishing hole or campfire.

OK,I will try to get us back on line here,somewhat.

At this tie of year,thinking about the movie a Christmas Story,I always try to take out my Daisy BB gun each afternoon and plink away for a little while.

Wayne

#201863 - 12/18/22 06:10 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
In JR. High School we had Archery during P.E. and could carry our own bows to school!..... Sorry Wayne.... I drifted!!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#201881 - 12/19/22 12:58 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: CrazyCajun]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve,
Don't be sorry,it is not a drift........but a welcome addition to the conversation.

Umm,what were we talking about anyway?????

Wayne

#201913 - 12/21/22 11:32 AM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: Wayne Dengler]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Slingshots!!!!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#201916 - 12/21/22 12:48 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: CrazyCajun]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Steve--

"Slingshots."

I forgot those!

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#201932 - 12/22/22 12:47 PM Re: Daisy BB guns [Re: LarryWW1246]
Wayne Dengler Offline
Knife Enthusiast

OH Now you done it!!!!

I have sling shots and my most recent acquisition was a Scout from Simple Shot. I use clay marbles (also from Simple Shot) so I don't have to go around looking for steel ball bearing or regular glass marbles.

I have an old circular saw blade hung up out back and frequently shoot at it with the sling snot. Makes a satisfying PING and puff of dust when hit with the clay marble.

Steve & Larry,
Any comments on your slingshots??? You opened the door!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Peter_Kaufman