Miles Swelze Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 175 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20032 - 06/19/07 09:03 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Swordsman]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Butt caps:
Standard butt caps or rounded butt caps are available with finger grips. With "single finger grips" the butt cap may be a bit "flared" at the end, following the contour of the handle. "no" crow's beak butt caps with finger grips. I do not think "coolie" caps or "flanged" butt caps are available either...but, of course..I'll check. Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

P.S. The Randall shop is asking all dealers to limit nickel silver butt caps and collars, so I am not taking anymore orders for these. I am only telling you the shop's wishes, folks..Please don't shoot the messenger. CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20033 - 06/20/07 04:41 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
New2Randalls Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Captain, do you know what the reason behind no finger grooves when a crows peak butt cap is order?
Thanks,

Dan Snyder

#20034 - 06/22/07 07:50 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
michianaman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northern Indiana (Elkhart)
Can a model 6 9" be had with a scalloped brass collar and a scalloped brass (coolie) cap.
Thanks..
RKS#1700
RKCC#CM-076

#20035 - 06/26/07 11:56 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: New2Randalls]
Knife Enthusiast

Dan,
It is my understanding that the crow's beak butt cap interferes with the proper installation of the finger grips, more specifically, the "final" finger grip. In the past the shop did cut finger grips in stag handles with crow's beaks. They also had more time to do this. They also did a worse job on soldering the hilts. I guess everything is a compromise...Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. "Flanged" butt caps cannot be ordered with a handle that has finger grips installed. A "scalloped" butt cap or a "coolie" (smooth) cap "can" be ordered with finger grips on hunting knives of 1/4" stock. Model #2's. etc. cannot....CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20036 - 06/26/07 11:59 AM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: michianaman]
Knife Enthusiast

Jeff,
Yes: On both counts. Also nickel silver collars (smooth, of course) and duralumin smooth "coolie" caps are "doable" options.
Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20037 - 06/26/07 12:11 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Handle materials:
The Randall shop can supply some of the finest handle materials available today! Any handle material supplied from the shop carries with it a lifetime warranty. If you should elect to use other handle materials they must meet certain dimension requirements and are installed "as is...where is", meaning no guarantees of any kind. This is particularly important with fragile materials, such as ivory and pearl. Be aware of this before deciding to use these fine materials.
Secondly...Does anyone want to take a stab at exactly "what" the Randall shop has on hand for you to choose from?? Go ahead, Give it a shot...OR: If you have a question about a specific material you are contemplating buying for a Randall knife install, or need to know which "size" piece to buy for that special Randall knife you are considering...please feel free to ask. This is your forum...and there ain't no dumb questions out there on this topic! (there might be some dumb questions on another topic however)...Best for now, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20038 - 06/26/07 05:12 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
New2Randalls Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Kalifornia
Captn, thanks for the explaination. I think I'll try ordering my next randall with the finger grooves and a coalie butt cap. Perhaps a Model 1 or 3 with a 6 or 7 inch blade.

#20039 - 06/26/07 07:37 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
michianaman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Northern Indiana (Elkhart)
Thanks Capt. appreciate your reply.
RKS#1700
RKCC#CM-076

#20040 - 07/09/07 03:19 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Randall handle material is being brought up in another thread. It's a good time to go over something that I am asked a good deal of the time, and it relates to "both" threads. Handle material and "size" requirements.
If the Randall shop is supplying the handle material you have nothing to worry about. If it is CW (customer-supplied handle material) you need to be careful of "what" and "what size" stuff to send them. I will start this post by telling you that handle dimensions vary from time to time. This is the "latest": straight from the Randall shop.
Small knives (5" blades or less) made from 3/16" stock require a block which measures...at "MINIMUM"...1"..X..1"..X..4 1/2". This will cover your Model #2-4" & 5", Small stiletto/ boot knife/ letter opener, Model #4-4 1/2", "Small Hunting knife, Model #5-4", Small Camp & Trail, Model #7-4 1/2" or 5", "Fisherman/ Hunter, Model #8-4", Trout & Bird, Model #11, Alaskan Skinners, with a 3 1/4" or 4" blade, Model #21-3 1/4", Little Game, Model #24-4", Guardian, Model #26-4", "Pathfinder".
Non-catalog models, such as a "Denmark Special", "GTR", and "Old-style" Trout and Bird are also covered in this requirement. Any questions...just post 'em here. More later. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20041 - 07/09/07 05:58 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Captain,

Good friend John Bingen was in the store Saturday and as we were comparing belly scars ( yes, my belly is way bigger than his)he shows me a Model 15 with a real accentuated clip point top area or swedge.

Just now when I called you, you informed me this was indeed a true Randall option. So, since you know far better than I how about going into detail on this Randall option?

Regards,

Rhett
Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

Page 3 of 175 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod