James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20012 - 06/13/07 10:57 AM Randall "ordering" questions *
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Hello, all of you Randallholics!
As I stated at the "Blade" show this year, being asked to speak as an "expert" on Randall knife ordering and available "options and limits" is quite hillarious! Ya'll will be able to fill volumes with what I do "not" know! Having started out with the huge disclaimer, I am attempting to, at the request of your RKS "host", cover some of the particulars involved in ordering your Randall knives. This is a large topic and encompasses a great deal of material. So, even though we will be continually having to wake Perry Miller up, I am going to try and assist you good folks with your ordering questions and problems. I promise you, I will not have all of the answers to all of your questions. I "will" find out and post the most accurate responses I can. This thread will more than likely be very active at first and then see interest drop off. That is just to be expected. Hopefully Rhett can pin it to the top, so it can be added to and be made readily available for folks to refer back to, therefore assisting them in choosing proper options and limits for their particular Randall knife order.
Some do's and do not's: PLEASE: Ask any questions you might have, but try not to ask my "opinion" of which knife to order or what Randall to use for what purpose. I will be happy to answer those questions, via my regular email address "only". I do not want to start huge debates over this model being "better" for this task, etc. Randall knives are very personal and some folks feel more defensive towards their "pet" Randall. That's just great and all a part of the Randall collecting and using thing...but nobody is going to come out right or wrong by debating this within this thread. This thread is here to help you answer ordering and option questions...only!! If you wish to seek advice on what Randall model will work for your particular task or need, we can always start a different thread, or ya'll can email me at: [email]CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com.[/email]
Lastly: I am not doing this to promote my business. I am doing this because I have been asked to do this. If you folks contact me about taking orders for Randall knives, I will put you in touch with the nearest "authorized" Randall dealer to your location that sells Randall knives at catalog price...just the same as the Randall shop does...same policy.
I hope everyone takes something positive away from this thread...and...Perry: Enjoy the rest, buddy. Hope you wake up refreshed often!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (06/30/11 03:49 PM)

#20013 - 06/13/07 11:14 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

To "stain..or not to stain"...
Several Randall Made Knives are available in 01 Swedish tool steel (carbon steel) only. Several are available in 440 (stainless steel) only. Here is a short list. I will probably have to add to this list, but shooting from the hip: This is the first "shot":

Stainless steel only:
A)Model #6, "Carving set"
B)Model #10's "Saltwater utilities"(all 3 blade lengths)
C)Model #16, "Diver's"
D)Model #17, "Astro"
E)Model #22-4 5/8", "Outdoorsman"
F)Model #24-4", "Guardian"
G)Model "GTR"
H)Model "Small Gambler"
I)Model #16-7", "Special #1 fighter"
J)Model "Triathelete"
I)Model "Fireman"
Randall knves available in carbon steel "only"

A) Model #12-11", "Confederate"
B) Model #12-13", "Raymond Thorpe"
C) Model #12-11", "Heavy"..or "Smithsonian"
D) Model #13-12", "Large Arkansas Toothpick"

I hope this helps you folks choose which models you wish to order, and I hope it is "complete" enough. I did not list "dealer" specials. You should contact your individual Randall dealer for availability...Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20014 - 06/13/07 02:20 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Well, now:
That didn't take long to foul up! An addition to the "carbon steel only" previously mentioned, add:
Model #12-9", "Sportsman's" bowie.
The confusion starts when you look at all Model #12-9's. The "Model #14" style is "standard" with 01 Swedish tool steel, but has the option of stainless steel on "that forging...only"! The traditonal BCP (bowie clip point) model, pictured in the Randall catalog on page #15 is "carbon steel only"!
Additionally, as long as we are on the subject of #12-9", the #14 grind, be it carbon or stainless, comes standard with same handle as the regular Model #12-9", "Sportsman" bowie, i.e. a leather handle! The 3 piece handle (Model #25 style) is a $55.00 upgrade on that #12-9". "SO": If you look at the pricing for a Model #12-9". #14 at a catalog price of $485.00, keep in mind that this means a Model #14 "clip" point, carbon steel blade, brass double hilt, leather handle, duralumin butt cap and red, white and blue spacers. Anything else, stainless, 3 piece handle, etc. is a "chargeable" option: $55.00 for the handle and $55.00 for the stainless!! I hope this reads clear to you folks. Any questions: Feel free to ask them in a post. Perhaps someone else has the same question and we can help more than one Randall knife freak with one reply. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20015 - 06/13/07 02:26 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Rhett Stidham Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have unpinned this thread for now as it was all the way on top and the Captain and I feel someone might think it was an old topic. We will let it run here as it should stay pretty active and near the top. If it starts to drift I will pin it to the top again.

Regards,

Rhett
Rhett Stidham RKS #002
President/Founder
www.randallknifesociety.com
email:payrks@gate.net

#20016 - 06/13/07 04:32 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Rhett Stidham]
Perry Miller Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Outer Space
Quote:

I have unpinned this thread for now as it was all the way on top and the Captain and I feel someone might think it was an old topic

I got old just trying to read the thing
RKS #024

http://www.spaceportcutlery.com

#20017 - 06/13/07 06:47 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Perry Miller]
Knife Enthusiast

Perry,
It would go faster...and a lot easier on ya' if you would have Marie read the multi-syllable words to ya'. Just trying to help there buddy! Best, Capt. Chris

P.S. Everyone that cares: Later: We will discuss spacers!! Any questions? CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20018 - 06/13/07 07:07 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
7033grip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Haven, Florida
Captain, when the "Big Lake" level went down so far, did they ever find the hole that you dumped your non-paying clients in?

Did you use a Mercury, Johnson, or Evinrude to weight them down?

Dubie Baxter
RKS #5099

#20019 - 06/13/07 07:22 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
A FEW BLADE QUESTIONS
=====================
On what knives, or under what circumstances, can the normally UNsharp top of a knife blade (false edge?) be ordered sharpened?
=====================
Which top edges that are normally sharpened can be ordered NOT sharpened? ...as in states where only one sharp edge is legal?
=====================
I have seen both very coarse sawteeth and fine sawteeth on different Randall knives. Can a buyer specify which type he wants, or must he just take the luck of the draw?
=====================
Which blades can be ordered as spear-points? ...like the sawteeth/no-teeth shape.
=====================
Can a knife be ordered with a different choil configuration? Deeper or longer, to make sure a fat finger will fit?
=====================
The Model #6 blade grind can sometimes be seen on other knives, for instance the Model #7 and (I think) the Model #3. Is this available on all lengths of the #3? ...is it also available on other models (#4)? ...again, for all lengths?
=====================
Thanks for doing this, Capt. Chris.
(and please stay awake, Perry!)
-Steve

#20020 - 06/13/07 08:15 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Holzinger258]
Knife Enthusiast

Steve,
My computer just kicked me off and came up with an "expired page", causing me to loose all my reponses after I worked an hour on them! I'll just plain get to this later, In the future, how about one question at a time?
Best for now, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#20021 - 06/13/07 08:22 PM Re: 6. Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

SPEAR POINTS:
Randall knives that are available with a "spear point" are as follows:
A) Model #14, when ordered with a "sawteeth / no sawteeth" grind...Code "ST/NST"
B) Model #15 when ordered same as (A)
C) Model #16, "Diver's", but "not" the #16 "special fighter"
D) Model #18, both blade lengths when ordered same as (A)
E) Model "Combat Companion"
F) Both size "Gamblers"
G) "Fireman"
Please folks: If anyone finds any errors in these popsts, please email me and I will research them further. All of this is being pulled from an old brain. Keep that in mind. Best, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod