Miles Swelze Randall Knife Collectors Club
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 169 of 175 < 1 2 ... 167 168 169 170 171 ... 174 175 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198154 - 02/19/22 09:55 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions * [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
When ordering a Randall authorized dealer special, are options over and above the standard dealer special knife available, priced the same as cataloged Randall options and limited to five aditional options? Asking for a friend. smile
RKS #4868

#198159 - 02/20/22 09:52 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: tomthbomb]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Unlimited options on a dealer special. My special, for instance, has a base price which includes
* Special dealer forging
* TB (top bevel sharp)
* BCP (Bowie clip point)
* Stainless
* Thumb notches
* Brass single hilt
* Red, white & blue spacers
* Leather handle
* Duralumin butt cap
* Special sheath (Either a black basket on my 4" or an oxblood with EZE-Lap on my 4 5/8")
Even after all of that, you can "still" get a ton of options...and yes: @ catalog price. That holds true for Gary Clinton also. The other dealers may charge over catalog but we (Gary C. & I) do not. Wayne Buxton used to charge catalog but now that his son has taken over his dealership, that may not apply. I think Doug Kenefick is dealer also..."BUT"...I am not positive of any other dealers except Clinton & Stanaback.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#198163 - 02/20/22 10:02 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tomthbomb Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Deep East Texas
Thanks Cap. I can tell you are feeling better.
RKS #4868

#198172 - 02/21/22 08:06 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: tomthbomb]
eLarry Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Texan residing in Georgia
I for one appreciate this information. We don't know what catalog price is since they are not in catalog. I was going to order a Rick Boyles and ask Rick this same question recently and he said there was no base price. So I moved on! Some of us have limited funds to work with and need to way our options what we like vs what we are willing to spend. Kind of like buying a Chevy vs Cadillac or a mattress. Dealers should give the people something to work with. Documentation versus conversation works best for old guys! My current goal in coming months is to have one of all the current dealer specials. Note! I do have a Boyles, just not in the configuration I wanted.

Edited by eLarry (02/22/22 08:44 AM)

#198173 - 02/21/22 08:25 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: eLarry]
BOB_TEATES Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: BRADENTON FL
Not sure if you are talking current or old ones also. Some are hard to come by. I wanted to get at least one of each but don't think I will. missing Bearcamp, leibowitz, Rod and gun companion. not sure what else. Good luck with your search
RKS #5138 RKCC #CM-015

#198181 - 02/22/22 08:46 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: BOB_TEATES]
eLarry Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Texan residing in Georgia
Current, I changed post.

Originally Posted By: BOB_TEATES
Not sure if you are talking current or old ones also. Some are hard to come by. I wanted to get at least one of each but don't think I will. missing Bearcamp, leibowitz, Rod and gun companion. not sure what else. Good luck with your search

#198198 - 02/23/22 12:12 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: eLarry]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: eLarry
I was going to order a Rick Boyles and ask Rick this same question recently and he said there was no base price. So I moved on! Dealers should give the people something to work with. Documentation versus conversation works best for old guys!

I'm surely not speaking for Rick, but I can understand his reasoning behind the answer of "no base price". Why not just ask him if he would quote you a price for one of his specials, configured in the way you would like? Possibly he would do that for you?
Best of luck in your hunt for the dealer specials, the hunt is the best part of Randall Made Knife collecting.. smile

#198227 - 02/23/22 09:13 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: Michael_Mason]
nate-dogg Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Sunflower State
Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason
Originally Posted By: eLarry
I was going to order a Rick Boyles and ask Rick this same question recently and he said there was no base price. So I moved on! Dealers should give the people something to work with. Documentation versus conversation works best for old guys!

I'm surely not speaking for Rick, but I can understand his reasoning behind the answer of "no base price".

So there is no "standard configuration" for dealer specials?

#198228 - 02/23/22 09:57 PM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: nate-dogg]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

From what I've been told by a couple of dealers...

Whose designs are set up to accept leather handles...

Their basic models include brass hilts, leather handles, and Duraluminum butt caps.

Then, like comparable RMK standard models, any changes from these features and additional options run the price up.

For example, even though I won't pretend to speak for Doug or the shop, a Small Sasquatch with the basic configuration would price the same as the catalogue price for a Model 12-9 with brass/leather/Duraluminum.

I assume that the "basic" Buxton Special would price at about the same as a Model 14? With any change in handle material from Black Micarta adding some cost?

All this is subject to contradiction and correction based on facts or policies or whatever.

The best advice was above...whoever said to spec out what you want on "your" knife and work it out with the dealer. That can be informative...I have bought several that turned out to be much nicer than I had in mind.

A word of caution, though. In a period of somewhat more ignorance than I endure now, I ordered specials not knowing I could ask for "one more thing," so I did not mention whatever to the dealer and paid later to have the shop do some extra touch.

It is a process of discovery and enlightenment. A good trip for folks like us.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#198231 - 02/24/22 11:31 AM Re: Randall "ordering" questions [Re: LarryWW1246]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
I believe there's a "custom grind" ("dealer grind"?) price in there as well.

Page 169 of 175 < 1 2 ... 167 168 169 170 171 ... 174 175 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod