Stanback Knives James Behring Knives
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200091 - 08/03/22 09:55 AM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Originally Posted By: coachblalock

But getting access to the swamp was something I’ve been wanting to do since I was a kid.
You never know what you might see over there!

Coach

Careful what you wish for

Molon Labe

#200092 - 08/03/22 10:31 AM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: BladesNBarrels]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Yep. Him too!

#200101 - 08/03/22 06:20 PM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

And then there is Gladys.

Gladys Spruill grew up on this place. She was “touched”. She used to pull all her clothes off, throw them in the fireplace, and run out in the woods screaming bloody murder. They put her in Terrell State Hospital when she was about 18 back in the 1930s.

She spent her entire adult life in Terrell. About the only treatment that they had for mental illness in those days was “Shock” treatment. I remember some of my cousins telling that Gladys had been given more “Juice” than Frankenstein and would never die.

When she was in her late 80s, her brother, Harmon, went to Terrell, picked her up, and brought her out here to see her home place. Now I’m not saying it’s fact or fiction, but some say she ran off in the woods and was never seen again.

When the weather is cool, my Bride and I like to sit out on the back porch and listen to the sounds of the woods. We generally hear wolves, hoot owls, whooperwills, hogs, and panthers. But every now and then, there is this blood curdling scream that we can only attribute to Gladys. That’s when we go in and lock the doors.

#200152 - 08/05/22 12:53 PM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
Brent Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Mid Michigan
How long did it take for the water to drain, and how long before you were able to walk/drive on it?

#200159 - 08/05/22 06:19 PM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: Brent]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Brent
How long did it take for the water to drain, and how long before you were able to walk/drive on it?

It took a week to completely drain. The Beavers dammed it up the first night. After that, I broke them from that.

About a month to drive on it after that.

There are still a few mud holes left but they are drying fast in this 100+ heat and wind.

#200310 - 08/19/22 04:01 PM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

We had this family of Black Bellied Whistling Ducks (otherwise known as Tree Ducks) raise in one of our ponds close by the house.

I understand that they are native to South America. We don't know why they chose us but we are glad they did. The babies have really grown in the last 2 weeks.

I had never seen these before, but I understand that they are becoming plentiful in parts of the South.

Attachments
------Black Bellied Whistler Ducks.gif

#200313 - 08/19/22 10:51 PM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
Heckuva’ investment in your land, wildlife, your own mental health…..etc., Coach.
You put sweat investment time into draining the swamp, & doing some custom clearing and won’t it be sweet now seeing nature do her thing adding what naturally fills in the woodlands, waters & swampy areas, bird sanctuaries and migratory flyways. Nice…and thanks for putting up pics.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#200316 - 08/20/22 12:57 AM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: Duke]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Excellent “catch” on them Coach.
Hopefully they will return next year if they migrate away.
Walker

#200320 - 08/20/22 11:01 AM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: coachblalock]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Coach--

The whistling ducks are also in Florida. I don't know if they migrate but they are there during the winter.

We also get the white pelicans which migrate down from Oregon-Washington-BC...long trip, but I also think you get them in Texas.

Also saw 3 Egyptian geese last year. Turns out some years ago they escaped after being imported as a novelty, and apparently are doing well in their new home.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#200321 - 08/20/22 11:50 AM Re: Using the dry Summer to get some trails cut. [Re: LarryWW1246]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
We also get the white pelicans which migrate down from Oregon-Washington-BC...long trip, but I also think you get them in Texas.

Possibly down closer to the coastal regions.

Here in north half of Texas, the only all-white migratory waterbird we see are egrets.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >