Nifeboy.com dominionhobby.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199158 - 05/22/22 12:28 PM Blade show sux
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Don't be mistaken, another reason the Blade Show now sux. The winds of change have blown it to crap. We saw this in action last year, so the romance is truly dead. No reason to attend any longer other than to see old friends. Expense of attending is getting prohibitive for many folks.

From the Blade website: "Attendees are allowed to bring in backpacks or similar sized bags to the Show. However, please be aware, all bags are subject to search by security for things such as alcohol or items that may be sold on the Show floor without the proper "exhibitor credentials."

It has nothing to do with "alcohol", that is smoke and mirrors, and it has everything to do with them squeezing every last penny out of you. For years, we always looked forward to buying the piece out of a guys back pocket, backpack, and yes, even bandoleers. Those days are gone.

None of the "Randall guys" bought one decent piece last year, unless from a guy set up with "exhibitor credentials". No walk ins. I am sure some folks will slide thru the cracks, but the overall vibe blows donkey balls.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#199159 - 05/22/22 02:40 PM Re: Blade show sux [Re: crutchtip]
thevalueman Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Well....that does suck!!! it's just stupid!!!
I was planning on bringing my 75th anniversary knife to sell(I've had it long enough), it needs a new home...and maybe a couple more(the sun valley patrol)...I have other plans for the money....that go bang!!

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#199161 - 05/22/22 05:29 PM Re: Blade show sux [Re: thevalueman]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Are some exhibitors complaining about walk-ins who might have something to sell?

Or are there so many drunks wandering into the show that there is an alcohol safety issue?

It seems unlikely that walk-ins are selling so much and pulling cash away from people who have tables. Most walk-ins who have something to trade or sell won't be carrying things to pull sales away from dealer tables.

Indeed, walk-ins with interesting things to maybe sell are most likely going to sell to dealers who have tables with similar stuff on them.

Unfortunately, so many people who run good shows eventually tighten their sphincters to the point it is not fun or exciting for many exhibitors.

If dealers don't push back, they will keep getting "stuff" forced on them. Show organizers can do knee-jerks to slight or vocal inputs from a single or few jerks of another sort. And they can choose to make rules because they can.

I can't make it this year, but hope the Randall crowd still enjoys it and does well.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#199163 - 05/23/22 09:29 AM Re: Blade show sux [Re: LarryWW1246]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Being curious, I looked up the relevant stuff on the Blade Show website. Wow! Sure to impact activities...how are they going to search everyone entering, and keep the traffic flow going?

Attendee FAQ – Blade Show Atlanta, The World's Largest Knife Show

AM I ALLOWED TO BRING A KNIFE INTO THE SHOW?
You may bring one knife in as an EDC. Additionally, you may bring a knife into the show if presenting to another exhibitor to look at; however, that knife must be carried in a bag and kept under your supervision.

WHAT IS BROWNBAGGING?
Any person caught walking around the Show or the hotel area selling product and is not a paid exhibitor, will be immediately removed from the Show and possibly banned from attending in future years.

Edited by LarryWW1246 (05/23/22 09:29 AM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#199164 - 05/23/22 09:35 AM Re: Blade show sux [Re: LarryWW1246]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
I'm going and expecting business as usual. All this sounds like a couple of damned whiners wanting "something done"!
See y'all there!
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: I like buying "brown bag stuff"!...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#199165 - 05/23/22 09:53 AM Re: Blade show sux [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
BladesNBarrels Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: East Tincup General Store,Colo...
Can understand the alcohol ban.
The show set up a bar next to our booth last year, so they want to capture that market.
I agree with Capt's PS note - part of the fun is seeing what people bring in.
Mitchell and I are set up in Booth 4, front wall, turn to your right, near the corner.
Molon Labe

#199166 - 05/23/22 10:28 AM Re: Blade show sux [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
I'm going and expecting business as usual. All this sounds like a couple of damned whiners wanting "something done"!
See y'all there!
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: I like buying "brown bag stuff"!...CCS

Good luck with the "brown bag stuff", probably the same luck you and everyone else had last year.

I heard thru the grapevine there are going to be guys patrolling looking for folks without "exhibitor credentials" doing business and enforcing what has been outlined in this thread.

Like I said, the vibe of the show sux.

I want to clarify, I thought about going to see folks, but other things have made it a bit tuff. In any case, I hope all have a great show.

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Can understand the alcohol ban.
The show set up a bar next to our booth last year, so they want to capture that market.
I agree with Capt's PS note - part of the fun is seeing what people bring in.
Mitchell and I are set up in Booth 4, front wall, turn to your right, near the corner.

Alcohol ban is so promotors make all the money.

Did anyone bring anything in to you or mitch's table last year? Anything vintage that was really good? Nobody I know of heard of anything.

Even Gary Clinton discussed not doing it any longer, and as you know his family has been there for decades. He will be there this year, but his time might be short. Remains to be seen.

Edited by tunefink (05/23/22 12:41 PM)

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#199167 - 05/23/22 11:01 AM Re: Blade show sux [Re: LarryWW1246]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Being curious, I looked up the relevant stuff on the Blade Show website. Wow! Sure to impact activities...how are they going to search everyone entering, and keep the traffic flow going?

Attendee FAQ – Blade Show Atlanta, The World's Largest Knife Show

AM I ALLOWED TO BRING A KNIFE INTO THE SHOW?
You may bring one knife in as an EDC. Additionally, you may bring a knife into the show if presenting to another exhibitor to look at; however, that knife must be carried in a bag and kept under your supervision.

WHAT IS BROWNBAGGING?
Any person caught walking around the Show or the hotel area selling product and is not a paid exhibitor, will be immediately removed from the Show and possibly banned from attending in future years.

There ya go. It's strikes me that back in the day when Mary was running the show for the previous owners, it thrived in participation and interest from "our group" to include other makers. There weren't any rules or directives that I remember relative to bringing items in to the show for sale or simply show-n-tell. That was what made it great. I don't recall having "exhibitor credentials" as a requirement to buy/sell/trade - and they were sold out of tables every year.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#199171 - 05/23/22 07:22 PM Re: Blade show sux [Re: crutchtip]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
People are constantly trying to fix things that aren’t broken. That’s what is happening here and they are gonna kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I used to walk this show with as Joe calls it a bandolier of vintage Randall’s hanging over my shoulder. If you can’t show em off and do some trading what’s the use.
RKS#2166

#199176 - 05/23/22 10:32 PM Re: Blade show sux [Re: Ronnie]
Wally Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I beleive a young lady who may be a member here bought a samurai sword from a dealer, and that dealer purchased it from a walk in earlier.
Be sure to take a BIG brown bag!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod