Stanback Knives Randall Made Knife
Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145276 - 07/20/16 04:36 PM Re: Randall inspiration and homage **** [Re: Gert]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I greatly admire the handwork....no reason in the world that more folk cannot make more things with hand tools rather than investing tremendous amounts in shop equipment. I have lost track of all the gun parts made completely by hand using files and papers, likewise knife parts, and knives completely reshaped.

As you well know, when doing it the old way, it gets done right, and nearly impossible to go too fast and remove what should not have been removed, unlike all the folk with the power tools. I still remember my armoring instructor having us file round stock locked in vises, to make tools such as screwdrivers and punches. He would look at each piece with a 10x loupe, and if not dead flat, or perfect curve, he would take a coarse file to it, and tell us to start over. Most things were small, so we could heat to cherry red and oil quench, then draw down to grey, using only an alcohol lamp and blow tube.

Just fantastic work, and my hat is off to you.

Edited by Lofty (07/20/16 04:38 PM)

#145277 - 07/20/16 06:31 PM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Lofty]
Robert Frey Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, WI USA
Originally Posted By: Lofty
I greatly admire the handwork....no reason in the world that more folk cannot make more things with hand tools rather than investing tremendous amounts in shop equipment. I have lost track of all the gun parts made completely by hand using files and papers, likewise knife parts, and knives completely reshaped.

As you well know, when doing it the old way, it gets done right, and nearly impossible to go too fast and remove what should not have been removed, unlike all the folk with the power tools. I still remember my armoring instructor having us file round stock locked in vises, to make tools such as screwdrivers and punches. He would look at each piece with a 10x loupe, and if not dead flat, or perfect curve, he would take a coarse file to it, and tell us to start over. Most things were small, so we could heat to cherry red and oil quench, then draw down to grey, using only an alcohol lamp and blow tube.

Just fantastic work, and my hat is off to you.

When I went to Gunsmithing School, we had to make a set of double set triggers for a '98 Mauser using files and hand tools. We only had to heat treat the springs we made for the triggers though. Hand work is safer than power tools because it's easier to take off material than put it back on.

Those knives look very good with the hand work.

NRA Life Member

#145400 - 07/22/16 03:57 AM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Robert Frey]
Gert Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
Thank you gentlemen, for your kind and true remarks. Good work done by hand is the real sign of craftsmanship. And any good craftsmanship has to be admired, it is often only attained after long years of practice.

Back to the project:
The nickel silver guard is soft silver soldered on to the blade. Still has to be cleaned up. At the moment I'm waiting for some new aluminum sheet to arrive, as the pieces i've got are too thick. Not the easiest thing to get .05"sheet in The Netherlands!

Edited by Gert (07/22/16 03:58 AM)

#146966 - 08/09/16 03:53 AM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Gert]
Gert Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Next step: blade is satinated and logo etched. All parts fitted together, prior to epoxying.

#146968 - 08/09/16 06:44 AM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Gert]
Zogger Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Neat! Interesting to see the knife in various stages. Txs for posting these!

#147068 - 08/09/16 08:00 PM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Zogger]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Did you try experimental/ultralight homebuilt aircraft supply companies in Europe? Sheet aluminum a staple supply for the aircraft maintenance folk. Even a nearby airfield or serious larger aircraft maint. business will have various thicknesses, and a call to supply could get you a link.

I can already tell the knife will be beautiful. Would not a harder higher silver content solder be more corrosion resistant over time?

Am asking, as I hate seeing older knives which are perfect except for badly deteriorating solder joints. Knives which are used are constantly exposed to stuff which attacks solder far faster than steel, whether blood or salty juice from cooked meat.

#147689 - 08/13/16 03:15 AM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Lofty]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Fantastic!
RKS#2166

#148086 - 08/15/16 03:11 PM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Ronnie]
Gert Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks all for your comments. Lofty, higher temperature hard silver soldering needs such a high temperature that the temper of the blade will be ruined.

The solder I use is 4 % silver content Eutectic brand and solders at 198 degrees centigrade. It does not corrode over time. I know that because I occasionally see knives I 've made that are over 20 years old. Still bright and shiny, also after intensive use.

Edited by Gert (08/15/16 03:12 PM)

#148116 - 08/15/16 07:13 PM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Gert]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks for the edumication on your solder. I knew the circa 1200°F stuff was murder on heat treat unless some manner of heat sink applied to blade or another go round after solder (if possible, my main heat treat experience being lighter alloys or annealing precious metals, or steel, but with case hardening, you knife guys have me beat six ways from Sunday on knowing steel).

I wanna see the finished handle....

Edited by Lofty (08/15/16 07:13 PM)

#148145 - 08/16/16 05:38 AM Re: Randall inspiration and homage [Re: Lofty]
Gert Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Knife is ready bar the polishing. I will post pictures when I'm back from a short holiday in Germany.

Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 ... 26 27 >

Moderator:  pappy19, Peter_Kaufman