Nifeboy.com
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194013 - 05/03/21 12:47 PM Hacked ...AGAIN!!
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
If anyone has received some sort of a "Docusign" email from me...It's fraudulent and please delete it. According to my computer geek, my email account has been hacked.....AGAIN!
Oh Bother!
Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#194015 - 05/03/21 01:52 PM Re: Hacked ...AGAIN!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
tglassco Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Gator Country
This does not have anything to do with your email being hacked but I was under the impression that Rick T was going to be working on making this site more secure. As it is now this site has little to none security that is why the lock icon in the address bar has a Red line through it. Would it be possible to get an update from Rick?

Thanks

And YES! I did receive the email you referred to and my security software gave me a serious warning.

Edited by tglassco (05/03/21 05:23 PM)
RKS #5553

#194016 - 05/03/21 07:31 PM Re: Hacked ...AGAIN!! [Re: tglassco]
thevalueman Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
I got one

:-)Rocky
RKCC#25

#194024 - 05/04/21 07:55 AM Re: Hacked ...AGAIN!! [Re: thevalueman]
Art DeCamp Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: LaGrange, GA
I got one also.

#194043 - 05/07/21 10:36 AM Re: Hacked ...AGAIN!! [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Staying with outfits like aol.com and yahoo.com exposes us to the trollers. Throw Google into that as well as any of the other "free" services, and even Office 365.

Those sites are rich mining fields for them. I once had to open a Google account in order to load contacts over to a Google Android phone. Then started getting emails from folks who never emailed me...and with hyperlinks that the senders wanted me to click on...luckily have not done that yet.

I have Norton antivirus (but do not use their cloud services or password storage or Identity Protection) and Malwarebytes.

I avoid giving out phone numbers to all the online services, and make up fake dates of birth, etc., where they demand such.

I never put information into anyone's cloud, but maintain my own "cloud" by keeping all data on standalone external drives, one being the primary working drive which I periodically copy to at least two other external devices. I have had too much data lost with computer hard drives crashing, WD Passport crashing, etc.

When a computer "dies," the information on its hard drive is "out there" unless we tear the machine down and smash the drive with a hammer.

For email, I buy URLs/websites and set up email via them. Small internet footprints like that are less lucrative for trollers to invade. Right now I have arrangements with GoDaddy and Namecheap, tending to go with Namecheap for everything because GoDaddy has migrated to Microsoft Outlook for email service, and that means greater exposure.

Larry

P.S.: I also do not keep passwords on a computer or in a cloud. They are currently located on external drives and SD cards (duplicate copies), and retrievable via a devoted password manager. I could keep them in a notebook, but that would be subject to loss. And using the electronic storage, I can "Copy" and "Paste" user names and passwords instead of having to key them in.
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#194044 - 05/07/21 12:17 PM Re: Hacked ...AGAIN!! [Re: LarryWW1246]
Windsor Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
When a computer "dies," the information on its hard drive is "out there" unless we tear the machine down and smash the drive with a hammer.

A torx driver set is all that's needed to disassemble one. You generally get a good hand mirror and a nice rare-earth magnet out of one.

Moderator:  Mr_Mod