Randall Knife Collectors Club Miles Swelze
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19353 - 05/27/07 08:29 PM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: Tony Bose]
Cut_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thanks Tony! I did not realize that the bone used on some of yours and Reese's knives were so old. That's great! Further, I didn't realize that I should be putting lemon oil on my bone scales for maintenance. Never had one dry out that I know of but would crap if it happened. Any recommendation on the stag handled knives? Thanks for great advice...I'll get to oiling up

Thx, Brian

#19354 - 05/27/07 09:47 PM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: Cut_Man]
Tony Bose Offline
Knifemaker

I put lemon oil on stag as well as bone. If you see many antique knives once in a while you will see on that is fuzzy looking and the oil will fix that. It usually happens when one is in a drawer for years and drys out. The oil from your hands will feed the bone if you use and handle it every day and it's not a problem. The oil won't hurt anything and probably help.

#19355 - 05/28/07 10:09 AM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: Tony Bose]
Cut_Man Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Great Information Tony! I'm the first to admit that I didn't know bone scales, or stag for that matter, dried out. I have worked ivory with renwax, baby oil, etc...all with good results. This is good as I have several that needed a little oil...they got it yesterday
Thx, Brian

#19356 - 06/27/07 05:18 PM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: Tony Bose]
johnbarth Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: midwest
I understand about the natural oils helping. Is there any danger from the natural salt of perspiration? Thanks for the info. John

#19357 - 06/27/07 06:51 PM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: johnbarth]
Tony Bose Offline
Knifemaker

Quote:

I understand about the natural oils helping. Is there any danger from the natural salt of perspiration? Thanks for the info. John

Your persperation or oil from your hands won't do anything on bone, stag, or ivory but make the color better. Any of these that you handle daily the oil from your skin keeps them from drying out. The ones that get dry are the ones put in a drawer and left there for years.

#19358 - 06/28/07 09:12 PM Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. [Re: Tony Bose]
canineforge Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Quote:

Your persperation or oil from your hands won't do anything on bone, stag, or ivory but make the color better. Any of these that you handle daily the oil from your skin keeps them from drying out. The ones that get dry are the ones put in a drawer and left there for years.

Another good reason to use 'em!!

- Joe

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton