Stanback Knives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193082 - 03/14/21 05:15 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: tunefink]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Coach, I have seen that before, it is a great idea, I just never had a old tire laying around.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

#193084 - 03/14/21 06:58 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: Sidney_Redford]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lake Fork, East Texas
Sidney:

We always got ours (used & wore out) from a place here in town that sold tires.

We also learned after several years to get them to turn the tire inside out. That would make the tire stand up taller and would “give” better when you hit it with a maul.

Then we would nail the tire down to a piece of 3/4” plywood.

Same setup makes a good feed trough for cattle.

Coach

Edited by coachblalock (03/14/21 07:37 PM)

#193103 - 03/15/21 02:10 AM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: coachblalock]
Duke Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Southwest Virginia
I gotta admit I enjoyed cutting and splitting wood the.most when both my son and daughter were still here to help. I always did almost all the splitting but, as y’all know, what wears you out most is having to set it back up as you split. Having them to do the other parts,......picking it up, loading, unloading, stacking and especially setting up every block to split was wonderful. Honestly what was also wonderful was all the talking, picking and laughing we all 3 (& sometimes 4 with my Maggie) did as we worked together. They both continued a few times early college years. A lot of good talks might never have happened otherwise. I learned it couldn’t when I built a splitter for the 3 point hitch on the tractor. Glad I didn’t do it until later. I’ll post some worker pics if I can find any.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA

#193104 - 03/15/21 02:20 AM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: Duke]
Shoot870p Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Duke, when I was younger the talks with my dad were great. We had an old Mccullough and a new home light. I would try to get the homelight if I could! Thanks for mentioning the thoughts!
Walker

Edited by Shoot870p (03/15/21 02:22 AM)

#193118 - 03/15/21 09:41 AM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: Shoot870p]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Duke
Same situation with my kids. I worked in the woods as a forester for many years and always took my chainsaw with me. When I came upon a good standing dead tree, I'd cut it down and buck it up. When I got home, the kids would help unload and I would start splitting while one put the next one one the block and the other one stacked. Great times and great memories.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#193120 - 03/15/21 10:31 AM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: pappy19]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

When my son was in High School, he would get 5-6 of his buddies (mostly football players) to come over after school.

They would try to show off and see who could split the biggest log with the fewest number of licks.

I would sit out there and brag on every single one of them. My Bride would go up to Dairy Queen and get a round of Double Cheeseburgers for them. They would get a cord split & stacked in no time.

They are all grown now but they still talk about it like it was great fun!

I sure miss their help!

Edited by coachblalock (03/15/21 10:32 AM)

#193186 - 03/16/21 11:46 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: coachblalock]
QUADroach Offline
Just dropped in

good chopping effort

#193389 - 03/25/21 01:14 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: QUADroach]
coachblalock Offline
Knife Enthusiast

More "Outdoor Recreation" from the past week or so.

Split Wood on the Ground
First Day Results
Finished up! 40 ft. long x 5 ft. high (T-post ever 3ft. or so for support)

Nobody took me up on the WONDERFUL Career Opportunity (logger's helper) so I ended up doing it all myself!

Attachments
------Split Wood on the ground.gif

------Day 1.gif

------All Split & Stacked.gif

#193392 - 03/25/21 02:59 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: coachblalock]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Great job Coach! Impressive

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

#193393 - 03/25/21 04:43 PM Re: Alternative forms of Outdoor Recreation! [Re: GCTom41]
Sidney_Redford Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. Va.
Tom pretty much covered it. I would love to have a rack like that, it would last me all winter for sure.
RKS #84 NRA Life. Shag # 11

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >